Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carson Palmer 1 SB Win from HoF?
Stumbled upon this little gem today today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000814215/article/carson-palmer-a-super-bowl-win-from-hall-of-fame

Apparently coach Arians said:

""Well, statistically, if you put a ring on his finger, he probably has a chance to be talked about for the Hall of Fame because of his statistics," Arians told reporters Thursday, via ESPN.com."

If Arizona won the Super Bowl and later down the road Carson Palmer got into the HoF over guys like Kenny Anderson... how would you be feeling?
Reply/Quote
Well, the way things work for QBs, it wouldn't surprise me all that much.
Reply/Quote
P6P in the Hall of Fame? Right.....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Unless he won two or three SB's, I cannot picture him in the HOF.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Carson Palmer is currently 14th all-time in passing yards (44,269). Assuming he can get at least 2,000 more yards by the end of his career, he will pass Drew Bledsoe and Vinny Testaverde, neither of which is in the HOF. Everyone else above Palmer besides Testaverde and Bledsoe is either in the HOF or not yet eligible (Peyton, Brees, Brady, Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers).
Carson Palmer is also 14th on the all-time pass TDs list (285). He's only 15 away from John Elway at #10, but Rodgers is at #11 with 297 TDs and at least a few more very good years longer than Palmer. So I don't see Palmer breaking into the top 10 in that category given Roethlisberger, Eli, Rivers, Brady, and Brees are all still active and already in the top 10.

So I guess if you looked at just his numbers compared to everyone else in the history of the league, sure, a SB win could make him HOF-worthy.
But if you look at the era we're in, these gaudy passing yards and TD statistics are becoming more of the norm rather than the extreme exception.
There's a good chance that Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, maybe Joe Flacco, and maybe even Matt Stafford actually put up more yards, and all besides Flacco and Stafford pass Palmer on the total passing TDs list. So in our era, it kind of makes Palmer good-but-not-great.

So does it make sense to put in a QB who could be behind (at least) Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, and Ryan in the same era? I'd at least wait until after all of the above mentioned active QBs finish their careers before considering Palmer for HOF (with or without a ring).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Yes if he starts the majority of the games, has a good season, and wins a championship then yes he would be put in the HOF conversation.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 10:52 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If Arizona won the Super Bowl and later down the road Carson Palmer got into the HoF over guys like Kenny Anderson... how would you be feeling?

I'd be feeling indifferent about it. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Palmer isn't a bad QB but he isn't HoF worthy.

I'd say he's above average. Dalton could end up being better.
Reply/Quote
Palmer has decent stats but nothing about his career even slightly screams HOF.

Having said that a SB win changes everything. I'm still not certain with his only ok career he'd get in.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 10:52 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Stumbled upon this little gem today today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000814215/article/carson-palmer-a-super-bowl-win-from-hall-of-fame

Apparently coach Arians said:

""Well, statistically, if you put a ring on his finger, he probably has a chance to be talked about for the Hall of Fame because of his statistics," Arians told reporters Thursday, via ESPN.com."

If Arizona won the Super Bowl and later down the road Carson Palmer got into the HoF over guys like Kenny Anderson... how would you be feeling?

No chance!  He had way to many avg seasons...He was a HOF player in 2005

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
If he has a Kurt Warner like season where he goes off and carries the team to the Super Bowl and is named the MVP then I could see this discussion coming up. The guy flat out has talent but was held back by injury, some less than stellar coaching (damn you Brat!!!) and of course never really winning the big one. Another example of what if and should have been, place him on a different team from the word go (Pack, Pats, Broncos, Falcons, etc) and I'd bet he'd be a first ballot HoFer.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 07:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If he has a Kurt Warner like season where he goes off and carries the team to the Super Bowl and is named the MVP then I could see this discussion coming up. The guy flat out has talent but was held back by injury, some less than stellar coaching (damn you Brat!!!) and of course never really winning the big one. Another example of what if and should have been, place him on a different team from the word go (Pack, Pats, Broncos, Falcons, etc) and I'd bet he'd be a first ballot HoFer.

The talent was there.  Were the intangibles?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He's good.

But Tony Romo is better than him. So is Philip Rivers.

He's been a "good" quarterback. But he's not HOF material. He's not clutch in the playoffs and overall in general. Took him basically 12 years to win one playoff game. One. That's not HOF material.

Sure, he has passing yards and TDs. But that's all.

He was a good QB for his era. But not great.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 07:22 PM)McC Wrote: The talent was there.  Were the intangibles?

Based on most of his numbers, honestly...yes they were. Prior to his knee being shred in the playoffs by cheapshot team of all time he was honestly really good. After that, he looked off and never got back to a comfortable place. Add in fighting with his coaching staff and just like all of us, wanting changes to be made it took a toll. 

Take Palmer right out of college and place him with a team that doesn't accept being just good enough and mediocrity and hires family friends and I would bet anything his numbers are better than pig's and most other QBs of the era not named Manning or Belichek...I mean Brady.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 08:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Based on most of his numbers, honestly...yes they were. Prior to his knee being shred in the playoffs by cheapshot team of all time he was honestly really good. After that, he looked off and never got back to a comfortable place. Add in fighting with his coaching staff and just like all of us, wanting changes to be made it took a toll. 

Take Palmer right out of college and place him with team that doesn't accept being just good enough and mediocrity and hires family friends and I would bet anything his numbers are better than pig's and most other QBs of the era not named Manning or Belichek...I mean Brady.

It's interesting to ponder what Palmer might have been ? He seemed to have it all in 04 and 05. Would Palmer have become an all time great under like you say different circumstances ?
Reply/Quote
If he buys enough drinks for the HOF voters he's a shoe in.. The HOF has more than enough beauty pageant contestants. Nah, CPs teeth are too big. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
As long as Dalton gets a ring before he's in.

That'll lesson the sting of him going in the Hall of Fame as a Cardinal.... As he probably should if the scenario played out as such.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
No. All time passing numbers are inflated because of today's NFL. One superbowl won't change a career of mediocraty. In a few years Joe Flacco will be breaking into the top 20 and has a ring...is he a Hall of Famer QB?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 08:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's interesting to ponder what Palmer might have been ? He seemed to have it all in 04 and 05. Would Palmer have become an all time great under like you say different circumstances ?

Indeed, I look at the draft and think what happens if Cincy passes on him. Does he go to Pitt who drafted the pig in the following season? What about Baltimore who ended up taking Kyle Boller in the first round. Would he have multiple rings like the pig? It is an interesting thing to look at and wonder what if cause talent wise, the guy really has it.

Reply/Quote
First off, not a chance. The NFL Hall of Fame is a pathetic popularity contest and, quite frankly, Carson isn't popular enough. He could have a ring and all the great stats in the world, it won't matter. He's not a "name". Tim Tebow likely has more HOF credentials than Carson. It's not exactly fair how HOF players are judged but popularity plays way too much of a factor (see: Terry Bradshaw).

Second, if by some crazy miracle Carson is inducted to the HOF... Does he go in as a Bengal or a Cardinal??  Ninja
Reply/Quote