Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Palmer: A Football Life
(08-08-2018, 09:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, they made documentaries about John Elway and he threatened to never play a snap of football if he didn't get traded before he even laced 'em up for the first time.

I think the main reason he never directly answered this is because it's completely obvious.
Is it though?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2018, 09:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I sure as hell didn’t appreciate seeing him laughing.

I swear Dalton is completely above criticism to some of you.

And he'd be criticized for throwing 4 TDs instead of 5 in a winning game by some of you.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:51 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: And he'd be criticized for throwing 4 TDs instead of 5 in a winning game by some of you.

Only trolls would do such a thing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The refusal to play was a tough thing to take, as was his decline after the knee injury. Personally, one of the more disappointing things I recall about Carson was the 08 season, going to games and eventually having to accept that dude was def not coming back that year. That season sucked.

Still though, his leaving and decline don't overshadow what I remember most about him. That was in 04 and 05, when it looked like we'd have a top 3 qb for the next ten seasons. The sky was the limit and we were feeling pretty dang good as a fanbase coming off of a lost decade. It was awesome for a short period of time. The most fun I've had as a Bengal fan in my adult life.

Then there was 09 and the Pittsburgh "Touchdown Andre Caldwell!!!" game. That was a good time, as was the away game in Baltimore that had a very similar outcome. He was a much more limited player that year leading a poorly regarded team to unlikely victories. Also a lot of fun for fans at the time.

I wish it ended different. I don't feel any particular way about Carson. He was a Bengal, then he wasn't. Doesn't change the good or bad that I remember about him.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 12:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Only trolls would do such a thing.

I've seen him criticized over every incompletion in otherwise solid, to good games.  It's not so bad here.....but it was on the old board for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 09:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: I've seen him criticized over every incompletion in otherwise solid, to good games.  It's not so bad here.....but it was on the old board for sure.

Yes, but this is the kinder, gentler Bengal board.  We take all the negative energy and turn it into positive vibes.  In with hate, out with love  :andy: 

When I think of Carson (remember him?) it's no longer with animus.  Perhaps the years have mellowed me a bit, but whatever ill will I felt when he left, or the joy I felt watching him get planted into the turf on his first trip back to PBS, is gone. It's now just a sad legacy.  The Bengals may never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, but damn, with him he felt like we had a chance.  

So, I'll watch and enjoy the nostalgia for what it is. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 08:01 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yes, but this is the kinder, gentler Bengal board.  We take all the negative energy and turn it into positive vibes.  In with hate, out with love  :andy: 

When I think of Carson (remember him?) it's no longer with animus.  Perhaps the years have mellowed me a bit, but whatever ill will I felt when he left, or the joy I felt watching him get planted into the turf on his first trip back to PBS, is gone. It's now just a sad legacy.  The Bengals may never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, but damn, with him he felt like we had a chance.  

So, I'll watch and enjoy the nostalgia for what it is.

Nail right on the friggin head.

I thought before and during the 2005 season that Carson would lead us to at least one super bowl victory in his tenure as a Bengal. After the knee injury I had my doubts (Initial reports were it was "career-threatening" and I thought he'd be lucky to come back at a Jon Kitna level of mediocre ). I don't think Carson ever really recovered while he was with the Bengals (at least not mentally). He just wasn't the same. It's a real crying shame. Carson Palmer will likely be the biggest "what-if" in NFL history (at least in my mind). 
Reply/Quote