Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Carson Palmer Rips Bengals Front Office
Just read this on the Enquirer. It looks like these comments were taken from a recent podcast he was on.

The Oakland Raiders) were just a solid organization. ... And we built something special. We got better every year. ... We continued to improve and make strides and so it was just so comforting - coming from Cincinnati, who is a whole nother kind of mess and disaster. So coming from that and then going to Oakland and then all of a sudden, I got to Arizona, I was like, man, this is the NFL. This is how you're supposed to do it. This is right. And it was just so comforting. And so much less stress and pressure.

There's so much pressure on quarterbacks as it is. When you have to worry about some idiot making the decision on a roster move, or hiring coaches, or some of the stuff you have to worry about ... when you have that added pressure and stress of not trusting the organization and knowing that they don't know what they're doing, that's just an added amount of stress you don't need as a young player. And going through that and seeing that and then getting to Arizona and going through what I went through in Cincinnati and what I went through in Oakland and then winning and appreciating the wins. And then winning a bunch ... it really let me really enjoy each win. My five years in Arizona were so much fun because we were winning and I knew how to enjoy it because I knew the other side of it. I knew what it was like to be bad, and be on a bad, bad team. ... Unfortunately, it took me too long to get (to Arizona). But it was refreshing, no doubt.

From the jump ... everybody, every single person - NFL people, agents, ex-quarterbacks I had talked to that were since retired and moved on - said, 'You can't go to Cincinnati. You can't go to Cincinnati. It's a quarterback graveyard.' ... I, at the time, was arrogant, young dumb, 20-year-old kid, and I was like, 'I'm gonna go there and make a difference. I'm gonna go there and change it. I don't care what all these people are saying.' ... I was naive. I didn't want to believe it and want to hear it. And I thought, 'Well, they haven't had me. I'll go there and change it.' ... I thought I was the difference-maker. I thought, 'The organization doesn't matter. The players on the field are what matters.' And I was 100 percent wrong. All that matters is the organization. Because great organizations get the right players. So I was wrong on that. And it was just an accumulation of so many things.

We won our division. We got good one year. We were close to getting good and we needed some key pieces. And I had gone to the organization and was like ... we need a couple players here, a couple players there ... and then of course the offseason comes, and nothing happens. Nothing changes. And it was year after year. In order to win in the NFL ... you've got to be desperate to win a championship. You've got to be all in. The financials and the money side of it are very important obviously to owners, and to everybody that's invested in the organization. But if the most important thing is the financials and the second-most important thing is winning, then you don't have a chance. And it's so important that ownership is willing to do what it takes to win. ... If you just kinda sit there and hope that things fall your way, you've got to get really, really lucky to win a championship. But if you're desperate and you're willing to do what it takes and you'll spend to go get this player. ... You've got to be consistently trying to build a championship team. If you're just kinda sitting there and hoping somebody falls in your lap, it's hard to do it that way. You've got to have the ball bounce your way a number of times in the playoffs. And you've got to get lucky here and get lucky there. You look at New England and there's not a lot of luck. And lot of that is built specifically. You look at what Pittsburgh's done the last 20 years, there's not a lot of luck involved in that ... you look at what Seattle's done, there's not a lot of luck. ... That's not hoping that somebody falls to you in the draft. That's being manipulative of the draft and moving players and churning up rosters and building the right chemistry in the locker room and there's so much that goes into it, it's just not a lucky thing. In order to be successful in the NFL, the organization is of the utmost importance.
Reply/Quote
Wow - Especially this part:

From the jump ... everybody, every single person - NFL people, agents, ex-quarterbacks I had talked to that were since retired and moved on - said, 'You can't go to Cincinnati. You can't go to Cincinnati. It's a quarterback graveyard.' ... I, at the time, was arrogant, young dumb, 20-year-old kid, and I was like, 'I'm gonna go there and make a difference. I'm gonna go there and change it. I don't care what all these people are saying.' ... I was naive. I didn't want to believe it and want to hear it. And I thought, 'Well, they haven't had me. I'll go there and change it.' ... I thought I was the difference-maker. I thought, 'The organization doesn't matter. The players on the field are what matters.' And I was 100 percent wrong. All that matters is the organization. Because great organizations get the right players. So I was wrong on that. And it was just an accumulation of so many things.
Reply/Quote
Wow! Palmer went to the Bengals Management and asked them to sign players...and...crickets:

We won our division. We got good one year. We were close to getting good and we needed some key pieces. And I had gone to the organization and was like ... we need a couple players here, a couple players there ... and then of course the offseason comes, and nothing happens. Nothing changes. And it was year after year.
Reply/Quote
So depressing. I hope they just move this shit show to California or London. Let these clowns ruin some other city’s dreams
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
When you have to worry about some idiot making the decision on a roster move, or hiring coaches, or some of the stuff you have to worry about ... when you have that added pressure and stress of not trusting the organization and knowing that they don't know what they're doing, that's just an added amount of stress you don't need as a young player.
Reply/Quote
same things we’ve been complaining about for decades. Same things countless other players complained about, and nothing changes. Mike doesn’t care, I’m so sick of people saying he does. Truth is, if he actually cared he’d have hired someone who had a clue about running a football franchise decades ago
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 05:17 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: same things we’ve been complaining about for decades. Same things countless other players complained about, and nothing changes. Mike doesn’t care, I’m so sick of people saying he does. Truth is, if he actually cared he’d have hired someone who had a clue about running a football franchise decades ago

I see threads about the Bengals needing 8-9 starters now and how we can turn this thing around in 1 season. HA!
Reply/Quote
People have to remember the coaching changes hes talking about is firing Brat and hiring Jay.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
1.) He isn't wrong but it's funny that he used two organizations that believe in draft first and free agent later(Seahawks & Steelers). It shows how far off this organization really is that even those teams manage to use the Trade market and free agency.
2.) We actually used free agency when Carson was in town we signed Odom, Owens, Adams, Jackson, Bryant, O'Neal, Williams, and Webster. That's half the reason why the front office doesn't sign people anymore because it didn't work then.
3.) I don't care what Palmer has to say he quit on us F him. Dalton has more valid reasons to ***** then he does anyways.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 05:30 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) He isn't wrong but it's funny that he used two organizations that believe in draft first and free agent later(Seahawks & Steelers). It shows how far off this organization really is that even those teams manage to use the Trade market and free agency.
2.) We actually used free agency when Carson was in town we signed Odom, Owens, Adams, Jackson, Bryant, O'Neal, Williams, and Webster. That's half the reason why the front office doesn't sign people anymore because it didn't work then.
3.) I don't care what Palmer has to say he quit on us F him. Dalton has more valid reasons to ***** then he does anyways.

He quit on mike brown. My boss isn’t incompetent, but if he was I’d quit way faster than Carson did
Reply/Quote
"The don't go to Cincinnati" attitude is one thing I often wonder when the Bengals don't land quality free agents. I mean let's face it, the Bengals are not exactly known as a team players probably want to go to once they hit free agency. A large part of it I think has to do with the overall image team management has. So maybe even if the Bengals wanted quality free agents and tried to acquire them maybe they got a hard nope from the player's agent or the player.

Let's face it, if you were a quality player hitting free agency would your first choice be a team that is widely known to be poorly managed and hasn't won a playoff game in almost 3 decades? Maybe if you were just playing for money and got an offer far above any others.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
There needs to be more of this. I wish more players like that played for us would publicly shit on the front office. They ***** deserve to be dragged publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 05:30 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) He isn't wrong but it's funny that he used two organizations that believe in draft first and free agent later(Seahawks & Steelers). It shows how far off this organization really is that even those teams manage to use the Trade market and free agency.

I’d pull an Eli if I were drafted by this team. I wouldn’t play for a Mike Brown team. I don’t blame Carson one bit for quitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I've always liked Carson. Shame that the Bengals' front office are a bunch of collective buttcheeks with the talent that he and others have had that were drafted by them.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 05:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The financials and the money side of it are very important obviously to owners, and to everybody that's invested in the organization. But if the most important thing is the financials and the second-most important thing is winning, then you don't have a chance. 

If Carson had walked after his rookie deal was up then I would respect his opinion.  But he knew exactly what he wad doing when he took that huge contract extension.  He can't claim he did not know how the team wasran after he had been playing for them for years.

This is no defense for the Bengals fron office.  i am just pointing out that Palmer also cared more about money than winning.  

And he only made the playoffs one season with the Cards after doing it twice with the Bengals.

He is totally full of shit.
Reply/Quote
The thing that really worries me is that Katie, Troy, Paul and Duke (for as long as he's around) will continue with the "Mike Brown Way" long after Mike is out of the picture. By that, I mean relying heavily on the draft but not investing heavily in the scouting department, never signing upper tier free agents, staying loyal to coaches and players far longer than is justified, not adding skilled / professional football people to the front office, continue to not value / appreciate the consumers of their product, and not holding themselves accountable in any meaningful way - ever.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 05:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Carson had walked after his rookie deal was up then I would respect his opinion.  But he knew exactly what he wad doing when he took that huge contract extension.  He can't claim he did not know how the team wasran after he had been playing for them for years.

This is no defense for the Bengals fron office.  i am just pointing out that Palmer also cared more about money than winning.  

He is totally full of shit.

No he isn't. He signed that extension in December of 2005, in his 3rd year as anyone would have being as young as he was and good as they were that year. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Man...how poorly managed are the teams you play for when you point to the Cardinals as an example of a team that does things right?

There was a time when the Cardinals were considered every bit as poorly managed as the Bengals.
Reply/Quote