Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Palmer retires
(01-03-2018, 01:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Just a hunch, but I can only imagine it's for the same reason 95% of the posters on this message board are currently losing their minds and/or threatening to boycott the Bengals.

Yep. He told the Arizona media two years ago it was a "heated disagreement" with ownership. 
Reply/Quote
I wish him the best. I never turned on him and I had no problem with the "retirement" after that 2010 season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 09:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who does fit in Cincy?  Illinois' own Ken Anderson?  NYC's Boomer Esiason?  Texan crapslinger, David Klingler?  Texas nice-guyer Andy Dalton? Our lifetime HC who is from Pittsburgh and won a SB with Baltimore? Or maybe Anderson and LeBeau who left here to go win rings with our hated rival?

Yeah, no one fits here.

Kevin Huber, duh...

Anyway, I was a huge Palmer fan when he was here. That high flying offense with him and Chad helped get me back into football after not caring about it for years . I’ll always have mixed feelings on how things went down when he left though. On one hand I don’t really blame him, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t piss me off.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 01:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: My favorite moment was when he was drafted. The hiring of Marvin and the drafting of Palmer brought hope.

Something this team has been very short on lately. 

Of the signal callers to play under Lewis, Palmer was the most talented by far. I had great hope when he chosen #1 overall. It's incredibly disappointing the way his time as a Bengal ended. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 01:42 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep. He told the Arizona media two years ago it was a "heated disagreement" with ownership. 

Odd, because I can't imagine any disagreement with Mike Brown being particularly heated...at least not heated on both sides.  He seems like that person we all know who never really argues, he just interrupts anyone who is making a decent point and says "When you're my age you'll understand" and then says nothing else.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 01:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Odd, because I can't imagine any disagreement with Mike Brown being particularly heated...at least not heated on both sides.  He seems like that person we all know who never really argues, he just interrupts anyone who is making a decent point and says "When you're my age you'll understand" and then says nothing else.

Brown doesn't get heated. He simply smiles awkwardly, head slightly tilted, until you become so uncomfortable that you walk away.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 08:46 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: My favorite moment was the TD bomb on the first or second play against Minn. in '05.

Favorite memories were at DC in '04 and vs. Colts in '05 (because I attended both).

I'm still a fan, but I never liked that he bowed out on his teammates the way he did.

Mine too, minn that is. That's when I felt
The offense had arrived
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 01:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kevin Huber, duh...

Anyway, I was a huge Palmer fan when he was here. That high flying offense with him and Chad helped get me back into football after not caring about it for years . I’ll always have mixed feelings on how things went down when he left though. On one hand I don’t really blame him, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t piss me off.

I don't begrudge anyone who got pissed as him for leaving the way he did.  I didn't get terribly miffed about it because the idea of any QB wanting to spend his entire 14 year NFL career playing for Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis seemed absurd.  Palmer knew Marvin was a two decade-long lame duck set for life here and here we are 7 years later getting hit with the truth.

Is it odd how Palmer demanding a trade got such big attention?  Does anyone even remember that Sam Bradford demanded a trade from the Eagles before they sent him to the Vikings?  Anyways, the Palmer wanting out thing was made into bigger news that it should have been because the media loves to tell everyone what a hell hole this franchise is, and we're running out of snappy comebacks to those accusations.

With that being said, I'm one of the "less upset Marvin is back" guys in these parts.  Accept the inevitable.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 01:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Odd, because I can't imagine any disagreement with Mike Brown being particularly heated...at least not heated on both sides.  He seems like that person we all know who never really argues, he just interrupts anyone who is making a decent point and says "When you're my age you'll understand" and then says nothing else.

(01-03-2018, 01:50 AM)Dark-Net-Axon Wrote: Brown doesn't get heated. He simply smiles awkwardly, head slightly tilted, until you become so uncomfortable that you walk away.

Mike Brown reminds me of this guy without the snappy comebacks. Just the I don't give a damn, and shut the hell up approach.

[Image: 8e242974f793b9c5ae5d32620489f738--hilari...-funny.jpg]

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 01:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Just a hunch, but I can only imagine it's for the same reason 95% of the posters on this message board are currently losing their minds and/or threatening to boycott the Bengals.

I would like to know EXACTLY, without speculation, hunches, or imagination. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I was born in the early 90's, and I didn't really get into watching football until I was around 10 or so. I remember my family talking about how much they respected Kitna and wondered what Palmer was going to bring to the franchise. I feel really lucky that I got watch Carson, Chad, TJ, Rudi, and Slim on the field at the same time as my introduction to a professional offense. It has actually been a disappointment to see the offenses we've fielded since that core is gone. I looked up to Palmer in a lot of ways growing up and was pretty hurt and jaded when he left. Of course now that I'm older I completely understand. I think he made his mark and he is lucky too, that he got to play QB when the passing era of the NFL really started to flourish. Hope he finds fulfillment now that his career is over.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 07:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm putting this in Jungle Noise because he was a Bengal for 7 years, and I would like to know what everyone's favorite Palmer moment was, and what your final opinion of him as a Bengal was.

Still one of my favourite Bengals despite the way his departure played out - going to Heinz and winning in 2005 got me back into the Bengals & NFL.

Palmer to AJ Green would have been a blast as CP9 had one of the best deep balls.

Outside of the Bengals career his season with the Cardinals a couple of years ago (think he went 104+ on QPR that season) was fantastic.. some of the games/throws he made that year were top drawer.

Wish him well.
Reply/Quote
Never disliked Palmer. Wish him and his family the best.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:25 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: I would like to know EXACTLY, without speculation, hunches, or imagination. ThumbsUp

I get that, but you judge a man by his actions and not his words.  What we know is that 2010 was a huge letdown and Marvin Lewis went public saying he wasn't going to come back unless changes were made.  He specifically cited wanting an indoor practice facility and increased personnel and so on.  Marvin didn't get these things but signed an extension anyways and soon after that Carson Palmer demanded to be traded and following that Bob Bratkowski was fired.

All I can do is speculate, but an educated guess is that Carson and Marvin agreed to approach Mike Brown together to demand changes and Marvin like this time (or not, depending on how fake you think his latest "I'm leaving to pursue other opportunities" announcement was), went public about wanting to leave while Carson did not.  Marvin and Carson approach Mike Brown, Mike Brown says "Nope" and Marvin caves in and sticks around and Carson wants out.

At that point Carson didn't want to play for an owner who didn't care about winning and a HC who chickened out on him.  Again, that's my take and I'm not one of the 3 men on earth who actually know what went on, so take it for what it's worth.  Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis are thick and thieves and complicit in this pit of misery so I wouldn't care to even hear their take on it and Carson Palmer doesn't seem like the type of guy to dwell on this sort of thing needlessly.

Short version:  Marvin Lewis gave up on changing this stale culture and chose to become part of the problem for his own gain because it was easier than taking a stand and getting a job somewhere else.  Carson Palmer had the option to make a lateral move in the NFL and Marvin Lewis didn't.

As the immortal bards, Hall & Oates, once sang:  The strong give up and move on, while the weak, the weak give up and stay-ay-ay-ay!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 07:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was ecstatic when the Bengals signed CP9, but I grew to not be a fan as he seemed to always like the school and environment at USC more than he did the team that paid him Millions.

My favorite moment was a game in which Marvin was going to call out the kicking team as time was expiring and CP9 talked him into going for it on 4th down.

WTS, I think his legacy will be wasted talent due to injury. Dude had every tool but the knee and elbow derailed what could have been a HOF career

Wait, so, you don't like Carson because he couldn't be bought? Well, I now know who you really are!!!!

- I also loved it when Carson called a timeout and came over to the sideline and told marvin to F off and then went and won the game on 4th. Marvin was going to punt in OT against the Browns and play for a tie instead of try to win. Carson scrambled on 4th for a 1st and they kicked a FG to win it.
Reply/Quote
My favorite moment with Carson, I have so many. 2nd is the entire lead up to him coming back after the knee injury.

- The SI interview where he came out and said he hated the Steelers
- Coming back in the preseason in his first game after rehab to throw 3 TDs against the 1st team Packers D. - To those who said he wasn't the same after his knee injury... you're idiots. He was fine, no issues from the knee whatsoever in 2006 or 2007 and has been ever since - watching him play and the stats say so.

But #1 was when he told Mike Brown that he didn't own him and that he couldn't be bought. When he publicly shamed Mike Brown and Marvin with his refusing to come back after Mr. Mediocre (MARVIN) was re-signed, thus forcing Mike Brown to change some things. Carson knew then what we all know now. This is America, land of the free. If Carson wanted to force his way out so he didn't have to play for what he thought was a dead end coach.... GOOD!

That endeared Carson to me forever. He forced change in the organization and he was RIGHT in doing so. He worked his way into a position where he couldn't be bought and then had the integrity to say he wasn't going to play for a loser. He didn't quit on me as a fan. He quit on Marvin and Mike as losers. It was epic and appropriate. LOVED that.
Reply/Quote
My favorite moment when he beat Thugsburgh twice in 2005. A statement so profound that Thugsburgh had to play 'tough football' and take him out of the game because they knew there was no way the Bengals would beat them a third time with Jon Kitna!!
Reply/Quote
My final opinion of Palmer is he's a front-running quitter. He quit on his teammates and fans. Not gonna romanticize it just because he's retiring. It's why as much as Dalton infuriates me sometimes, I still have respect for him cause I can't see him ever pulling a bs move like Palmer did.
Reply/Quote

This ^^^^^^^

CP9 haters are hilarious. 

CP9 hater: Waaaaaaaaahhh Palmers a quitter, why would he leave?
CP9 hater *every day*: Why do I have to be a fan of this team, they are so badly run. Marvin sucks, mike brown sucks!

I do not blame Carson for leaving one bit! Mike Brown and Marvin are morons, and they couldn't be happier with mediocrity. I will forever be a fan of this team, but you guys hating on Palmer are just butthurt. He quit, and as diehard fans we can't seem to bring ourselves to do the same. I keep rooting for this dumpster fire, but I don't blame anyone who wants out.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 11:22 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: My favorite moment when he beat Thugsburgh twice in 2005.  A statement so profound that Thugsburgh had to play 'tough football' and take him out of the game because they knew there was no way the Bengals would beat them a third time with Jon Kitna!!

These are my favorite memories as well.....and sweeping the North in 2009.

I also LOVED the way he told Mike Brown to shove it up his ass.  Anyone that views that as anything other than the business move it was, is butthurt.  

Question:

Who has been more detrimental to your beloved team, Carson Palmer, or Son of Paul?

I just couldn't believe anyone actually sided with Mike Brown!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote