Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson on XM Right Now
(04-22-2020, 12:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  Some people really need to grow up and get the hell over it, already. 

I sense sarcasm lol
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 12:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  Some people really need to grow up and get the hell over it, already. 

Most had. The fact that Palmer was actively trying to sabotage our #1 pick kind of rubs people the wrong way though, and brings up old animosity. Shocking, I know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 10:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Most had. The fact that Palmer was actively trying to sabotage our #1 pick kind of rubs people the wrong way though, and brings up old animosity. Shocking, I know.

Meh, this concept that Carson Palmer is sitting in his mansion tearing his hair out about the Bengals seems like a manufactured narrative held by Bengals fans who simply can't stop playing the woebegone victim that everyone is after.

Carson Palmer is out to get us
the NFL is out to get us
the media is out to get us
the Steelers and the Rooneys are out to get us

I became a Bengals fan because I wanted to wear stipey shirts and root against the Steelers, not because I wanted to wear a tinfoil hat and whine about being persecuted.  But to each his own.  God, I hope Burrow doesn't turn out to be yet another deep-state plant out to get us!
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 10:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, this concept that Carson Palmer is sitting in his mansion tearing his hair out about the Bengals seems like a manufactured narrative held by Bengals fans who simply can't stop playing the woebegone victim that everyone is after.

Carson Palmer is out to get us
the NFL is out to get us
the media is out to get us
the Steelers and the Rooneys are out to get us

I became a Bengals fan because I wanted to wear stipey shirts and root against the Steelers, not because I wanted to wear a tinfoil hat and whine about being persecuted.  But to each his own.  God, I hope Burrow doesn't turn out to be yet another deep-state plant out to get us!

Maybe if Carson Palmer ever took one shred of accountability, people would see his stance as a little more reasonable. I would absolutely love for someone to put him on the spot someday and ask him if the team was such a mess how a rookie 2nd round QB came in and went to the playoffs 5 straight years. That wouldn’t fit his narrative that we were one of the worst run teams though...

And if you don’t think the media does in fact have an anti-Bengals bias after the past few months I don’t even know what to say.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe if Carson Palmer ever took one shred of accountability, people would see his stance as a little more reasonable. I would absolutely love for someone to put him on the spot someday and ask him if the team was such a mess how a rookie 2nd round QB came in and went to the playoffs 5 straight years. That wouldn’t fit his narrative that we were one of the worst run teams though...

And if you don’t think the media does in fact have an anti-Bengals bias after the past few months I don’t even know what to say.

Yeah, I don't understand how any Bengals fan can think that there is no bias against their team.

Blows my mind. Shocked

I talk to my family who are mostly Steeler fans and even they admit the bias against us lol
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe if Carson Palmer ever took one shred of accountability, people would see his stance as a little more reasonable. I would absolutely love for someone to put him on the spot someday and ask him if the team was such a mess how a rookie 2nd round QB came in and went to the playoffs 5 straight years. That wouldn’t fit his narrative that we were one of the worst run teams though...

The fact that we have to look back a decade to point to five straight one-and-dones as proof that we are a relevant franchise could be seen as evidence enough that Mike Brown isn't the hardest-working owner in sports.

We blew up in the playoffs over and over and Palmer blew up in the NFC championship game.  The fact that this is some sort of rivalry when there are fanbases that can argue which of their SB-winning QBs is best is telling.

And the media doesn't like the Bengals because we spent the majority of the past 30 years being crappy and/or boring.  When we do stuff they'll change their tune.  Asking the media to slobber over a 2-14 team like us is a bit much.  If we win, they will praise us.  If you would have told anyone in the early 90s that the New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, and Seattle Seahawks would be media darlings in the new millennium they would have laughed at you.

You have to win before the media takes notice.  If you want people to slobber over you before you've done anything then the 2019 Browns may be more your speed.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The fact that we have to look back a decade to point to five straight one-and-dones as proof that we are a relevant franchise could be seen as evidence enough that Mike Brown isn't the hardest-working owner in sports.

We blew up in the playoffs over and over and Palmer blew up in the NFC championship game.  The fact that this is some sort of rivalry when there are fanbases that can argue which of their SB-winning QBs is best is telling.

And the media doesn't like the Bengals because we spent the majority of the past 30 years being crappy and/or boring.  When we do stuff they'll change their tune.  Asking the media to slobber over a 2-14 team like us is a bit much.  If we win, they will praise us.  If you would have told anyone in the early 90s that the New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, and Seattle Seahawks would be media darlings in the new millennium they would have laughed at you.

You have to win before the media takes notice.  If you want people to slobber over you before you've done anything then the 2019 Browns may be more your speed.

Says a lot that the 2019 Cleveland Browns were slobbered over while the 2015 Bengals should of beat the Steelers in the 
Playoffs and were screwed over by the refs and Jeremeh fumbling (while he goes to the Pats and brags about winning a 
SB he had no part of). We all know about MB and his cheapness in the past but there is a clear bias against this team and
any Bengals fan that doesn't see it is clearly blind.

Hopefully Joe Burrow brings us some playoff wins and lots of Superbowls and we gain a lot of bandwagon fans and even 
the media becomes fans of us because of it. Just don't see it happening, they will hate us regardless.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Says a lot that the 2019 Cleveland Browns were slobbered over while the 2015 Bengals should of beat the Steelers in the 
Playoffs and were screwed over by the refs and Jeremeh fumbling (while he goes to the Pats and brags about winning a 
SB he had no part of). We all know about MB and his cheapness in the past but there is a clear bias against this team and
any Bengals fan that doesn't see it is clearly blind.

Hopefully Joe Burrow brings us some playoff wins and lots of Superbowls and we gain a lot of bandwagon fans and even 
the media becomes fans of us because of it. Just don't see it happening, they will hate us regardless.

Meh, saying the media is going to hate us even if we win the SB is like me saying my wife is going to give me grief even if I get a job and last more than 30 seconds in bed...it's just stinkin' thinkin'!  Who does the media like?  Why does the media like that team?  Are we like the likable teams?  What can we do to get to that point?

If Burrow is as good as advertised I assure you the media is going to run his feel-good hometown hero story into the ground to the point where our rivals grind their teeth in anger.  It's like when we played the Chiefs and in the gameday thread people were complaining about how much they were talking about Mahommes....the guy was the MVP and he went on to win the SB that year.  They weren't just harping on how great Mahommes was because the owner of the Chiefs was holding them at gunpoint.

This ain't rocket science folks!

EDIT - I'm predicting Burrow is so good this year that during the 2021 season there are going to be a ridiculous number of commercials with him in them ala Baker in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, saying the media is going to hate us even if we win the SB is like me saying my wife is going to give me grief even if I get a job and last more than 30 seconds in bed...it's just stinkin' thinkin'!  Who does the media like?  Why does the media like that team?  Are we like the likable teams?  What can we do to get to that point?

If Burrow is as good as advertised I assure you the media is going to run his feel-good hometown hero story into the ground to the point where our rivals grind their teeth in anger.  It's like when we played the Chiefs and in the gameday thread people were complaining about how much they were talking about Mahommes....the guy was the MVP and he went on to win the SB that year.  They weren't just harping on how great Mahommes was because the owner of the Chiefs was holding them at gunpoint.

This ain't rocket science folks!

EDIT - I'm predicting Burrow is so good this year that during the 2021 season there are going to be a ridiculous number of commercials with him in them ala Baker in 2019.

You say a lot of meh, but the media isn't your wife Nately. Mellow 

The media clearly likes the Steelers as if you don't know this. Mellow 

Yes, the Steeler media will grind their teeth in anger when we start to beat the shit out of them with Burrow...

So this is your point? Hmmm
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You say a lot of meh, but the media isn't your wife Nately. Mellow 

The media clearly likes the Steelers as if you don't know this. Mellow 

Yes, the Steeler media will grind their teeth in anger when we start to beat the shit out of them with Burrow...

So this is your point? Hmmm

Yes, you think people would come around to the idea that we dug ourselves into a hole of disdain and we have to win our way out of it.  I suppose that's less attractive an option than acting like you are on the cross for some, though.

Let's try an experiment....pretend you are part of the media and explain the following graphic without making the Steelers look good or the Bengals look bad.

[Image: rivalry.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, you think people would come around to the idea that we dug ourselves into a hole of disdain and we have to win our way out of it.  I suppose that's less attractive an option than acting like you are on the cross for some, though.

Let's try an experiment....pretend you are part of the media and explain the following graphic without making the Steelers look good or the Bengals look bad.

[Image: rivalry.jpg]

So, are you just saying Marv and company sucked against the Steelers?

Yeah, we all know that, thanks for rubbing it in. You are getting on my nerves now, congrats.

Florio is clearly a Steeler fan and there are numerous refs in in the NFL that are Steeler fans....

Give me one Bengal fan in the media or that is a ref in the NFL that is a Bengal fan....

Not a former Bengal...
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So, are you just saying Marv and company sucked against the Steelers?

Yeah, we all know that, thanks for rubbing it in. You are getting on my nerves now, congrats.

Florio is clearly a Steeler fan and there are numerous refs in in the NFL that are Steeler fans....

Give me one Bengal fan in the media or that is a ref in the NFL that is a Bengal fan....

Not a former Bengal...

I'm getting on your nerves by pointing out that the world isn't irrationally against us?  Sorry to muck with your world view so badly.  At any rate, you failed the experiment by saying that we sucked.  How couldja!  Hater.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm getting on your nerves by pointing out that the world isn't irrationally against us?  Sorry to muck with your world view so badly.  At any rate, you failed the experiment by saying that we sucked.  How couldja!  Hater.

Damn rights I hate the Steelers and hate sucking against them.

Still doesn't mean there isn't a bias against us. You should of seen it Nately every Draft in forever where the media goes to 
commercial when our pick is about to come out. Thank God we pick first in every round this year so we can actually see who 
we pick Live for once.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights I hate the Steelers and hate sucking against them.

Still doesn't mean there isn't a bias against us. You should of seen it Nately every Draft in forever where the media goes to 
commercial when our pick is about to come out. Thank God we pick first in every round this year so we can actually see who 
we pick Live for once.

I hate the Steelers so much I'm a Bengals fan from Pittsburgh so let's scale that whole thing back there a bit.  There is a bias against us because we've earned it by not coming within farting distance of the super bowl since Crystal Pepsi was a new innovation.  Thems the breaks.  I'm sure on the Lions message board there is a version of you complaining and a version of me complaining about said complaining...though I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase that doesn't believe everyone hates them.  Something about being part of a group involves acting like you are under attack.  At any rate, hopefully we actually try harder to win in order to get out of that hole and earn that sweet sweet media love we crave so much.

I will say it is a little sucky that we are going to get more media attention this year because we managed to tally the worst record in the league, but I'll take it.  The novelty of being noteworthy for being the worst has worn off though, so let's hope we win our way into relevance.  What a concept.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hate the Steelers so much I'm a Bengals fan from Pittsburgh so let's scale that whole thing back there a bit.  There is a bias against us because we've earned it by not coming within farting distance of the super bowl since Crystal Pepsi was a new innovation.  Thems the breaks.  I'm sure on the Lions message board there is a version of you complaining and a version of me complaining about said complaining...though I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase that doesn't believe everyone hates them.  Something about being part of a group involves acting like you are under attack.  At any rate, hopefully we actually try harder to win in order to get out of that hole and earn that sweet sweet media love we crave so much.

I will say it is a little sucky that we are going to get more media attention this year because we managed to tally the worst record in the league, but I'll take it.  The novelty of being noteworthy for being the worst has worn off though, so let's hope we win our way into relevance.  What a concept.

Definitely down with that, I get what you are saying to a point.

Just don't see the media going to commercial every time the Lions pick like they do with us all the time.

Sucks being the worst team in the NFL but I think we did it at the best time to get Burrow and I love this FA.

We will see how it all works out.

BTW, you being a Bengals fan from Pittsburgh has always gained a lot of respect from me, I have enough of these around me and in
my own family. Not easy being a Bengals fan which is why I love all of our dudes so much. Sure is a lot easier being a Steeler of Pats
fan. We didn't take the easy road.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely down with that, I get what you are saying to a point.

Just don't see the media going to commercial every time the Lions pick like they do with us all the time.

Sucks being the worst team in the NFL but I think we did it at the best time to get Burrow and I love this FA.

We will see how it all works out.

BTW, you being a Bengals fan from Pittsburgh has always gained a lot of respect from me, I have enough of these around me and in
my own family. Not easy being a Bengals fan which is why I love all of our dudes so much. Sure is a lot easier being a Steeler of Pats
fan. We didn't take the easy road.

I'll tell you that I have friends who are reasonable Steeler fans, believe it or not.  That and as soon as the Bengals blow it I would jump on the Patriots bandwagon for the year in hopes that they'd stop the Steelers and/or win more SBs than them.

Honestly, I don't know if the NFL goes to commercial during Lions picks because who pays attention to the Lions?  I married a Jaguars fan, so there is something to be said about being the odd ones in a group.

Let's call this a truce, I gotta get up and schedule bankruptcies for the gubmint soon. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The fact that we have to look back a decade to point to five straight one-and-dones as proof that we are a relevant franchise could be seen as evidence enough that Mike Brown isn't the hardest-working owner in sports.

I don’t need the media to “slober” over us, but what would be nice is a little consistency. They literally spent 3 months creating fake narratives about how Joe Burrow might pull an Eli (despite his family getting out in front of it immediately), and then when he himself stated he wouldn’t they switched gears to Cincinnati ruins QB’s. Also not true. And the fact that some of them deemed Miami a better landing spot is beyond laughable. You didn’t hear any of this shit about other QB’s that who went #1 to such storied franchises as the Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, etc.

Reply/Quote
Palmer: See? I coulda retired early had Mike Brown not traded me to Oakland..
The whole world feels your pain Carson.. 
Well, not really. In fact there might actually be some retired postal worker in Cincinnati who does, but he's still living on top of that crumbling telephone pole out in the middle of nowhere cursing all of Bengaldom..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t need the media to “slober” over us, but what would be nice is a little consistency. They literally spent 3 months creating fake narratives about how Joe Burrow might pull an Eli (despite his family getting out in front of it immediately), and then when he himself stated he wouldn’t they switched gears to Cincinnati ruins QB’s. Also not true. And the fact that some of them deemed Miami a better landing spot is beyond laughable. You didn’t hear any of this shit about other QB’s that who went #1 to such storied franchises as the Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, etc.

Are you gonna suggest that Johnny Football wasn't the single greatest QB of the past 500 years? Oh the false narratives!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t need the media to “slober” over us, but what would be nice is a little consistency. They literally spent 3 months creating fake narratives about how Joe Burrow might pull an Eli (despite his family getting out in front of it immediately), and then when he himself stated he wouldn’t they switched gears to Cincinnati ruins QB’s. Also not true. And the fact that some of them deemed Miami a better landing spot is beyond laughable. You didn’t hear any of this shit about other QB’s that who went #1 to such storied franchises as the Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, etc.

The media declared Brady Quinn an instant bust because he was drafted by the Browns and was chewing gum. The media said "Im not surprised" when Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson gave up on the Lions.  The idea that the Bucs blew it with Bo Jackson and Steve Young is still talked about today and so on.  We aren't alone. 

Colin Cowherd went on endlessly about how the 2019 Browns were a bunch of ego maniacs who were going to flop hard.  The list goes on. 

We haven't had a winning season since 2015.  Im not sure how that can be explained without making us look bad. 
Reply/Quote