Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case building for taking Deshaun Watson over John Ross in Draft - 1st round REDO
Deshaun Watson was 22 of 33 for 301 yards with 2 TD and 2 interceptions (plus 41 rushing yards) at the Patriots.

He did it behind an Offensive Line that is playing as poorly as the Bengals O-line and Watson is just a Rookie.

If I could Re-do the Bengals 1st round pick, I would take Deshaun Watson over John Ross.
We would not have even had to trade Dalton this year and just let Watson watch & learn for a season.
The team would be in a better Roster position than having John Ross. IMO

It is a QB driven league and Watson can play in the Pocket while also having a better ability than Dalton or McCarron to avoid the rush & Extend Plays. Aaron Rodgers can move around & roll out & extend plays behind a bad offensive line. Deshaun Watson is a prospect that offers the potential to extend plays which is a Big part of why players like Rodgers & Big Ben are successful. They get those extra few seconds that can kill a defense and Dalton & McCarron don't seem to excel in that area enough.

I think we passed on a Rare chance at a QB with Watson's traits to get a smallish receiver that set a 40 yard dash record which raised his Stock.

In a QB driven league, it may have made more sense to Stack the Roster at the QB position.
Watson showed Great poise in Championship games at Clemson both in the Pocket and reacting to the rush to extend plays.
Escaping pressure behind a poor O-line is what Aaron Rodgers does and we need a QB that has the potential to do the same.
Even Great offensive lines can break down at the worst moment of a Championship game and avoiding that pressure to make that play is what the Great QB's do. I would rather take my chances with a Deshaun Watson type player than Dalton or McCarron longer term for this reason. Especially if we keep going the Cheap & inexpensive route on the O-line.

I would give John Ross & AJ McCarron for Deshaun Watson right now but the Texans likely would not do it.

We could have just picked him with the 9th overall pick but passed on the 22 year old.

Reply/Quote
I like the QBs in the 2018 draft class (much) more compared to the 2017 class.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 01:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like the QBs in the 2018 draft class (much) more compared to the 2017 class.

You are right, that there may be some solid QB prospects in the 2018 Draft.

Will we have the opportunity to just Draft one of them or will it require a trade up which is Very expensive ?

Watson could have been a Bird in the hand versus 2 in the Bush next Draft.
Reply/Quote
That was Watson's stat line this week? I forget what was his stat line last week?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Watson does appear to be a talent...but he'd likely be Bengalized here. Let him go to a good team and succeed.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 01:51 PM)depthchart Wrote: You are right, that there may be some solid QB prospects in the 2018 Draft.

Will we have the opportunity to just Draft one of them or will it require a trade up which is Very expensive ?

There are quite a few very good options in this upcoming draft.
Sam Darnold is a better QB option than any QB in last year's draft.
Most will have Josh Rosen and Mason Rudolph as the second and third best QB. My preferred QB after Darnold is Luke Falk out of Washington State though due to his poise, pocket awareness, accuracy, and touch. I'd take any of these QBs over 2017's crop though.
Lamar Jackson is probably the most similar style QB to Deshaun Watson, although Watson is probably bit better passer whereas Jackson is a more dynamic runner/scrambler. Watson had a top 10 drafted WR during his college career though whereas Lamar Jackson hasn't had as good receivers to throw to. Lamar might go to a team in the second half of the first round of the draft if someone is willing to gamble on his running ability succeeding in the NFL.
Josh Allen is also in talks of being taken in the top half of the draft, but he reminds of Joe Flacco. Great size, arm strength, but below average accuracy and played against lower competition.
It's also worth mentioning that there have not been 5 QBs taken in the first round of the draft since the 90's, so there's a good chance one of the good options is available even in the early second.

So to answer your question directly, yes the Bengals should have an opportunity to draft one of them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Watson was a special player in college, crushing my beloved Bucks and then beating Alabama for the title. I think he will be special in the NFL as well, just as long as he makes runs when he has to, as opposed to designed plays.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 02:20 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Watson was a special player in college, crushing my beloved Bucks and then beating Alabama for the title. I think he will be special in the NFL as well, just as long as he  makes runs when he has to, as opposed to designed plays.

In college, a QB may have a 4-7 foot window to fit the ball in. In the pros that window is much smaller.

That's what you have to look at evaluating these guys.

Lamar Jackson isn't that accurate. I'm not sure if Watson is yet.
Reply/Quote
No...
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In college, a QB may have a 4-7 foot window to fit the ball in. In the pros that window is much smaller.

That's what you have to look at evaluating these guys.

Lamar Jackson isn't that accurate. I'm not sure if Watson is yet.

Dont need to tell me what to look for. The kid can play, and is already playing at a good level 2 games into his career. Id take him over Dalton for the future if I had a choice, as Dalton will never be special. Watson has that chance tho.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 01:51 PM)depthchart Wrote: You are right, that there may be some solid QB prospects in the 2018 Draft.

How does one trade up from the #1 pick in the draft?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

A trade up? You can't get much higher than number 1.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 01:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: Deshaun Watson was 22 of 33 for 301 yards with 2 TD and 2 interceptions (plus 41 rushing yards) at the Patriots.

He did it behind an Offensive Line that is playing as poorly as the Bengals O-line and Watson is just a Rookie.

If I could Re-do the Bengals 1st round pick, I would take Deshaun Watson over John Ross.
We would not have even had to trade Dalton this year and just let Watson watch & learn for a season.

It is a QB driven league and Watson can play in the Pocket while also having a better ability than Dalton or McCarron to avoid the rush & Extend Plays. Aaron Rodgers can move around & roll out & extend plays behind a bad offensive line. Deshaun Watson is a prospect that offers the potential to extend plays which is a Big part of why players like Rodgers & Big Ben are successful. They get those extra few seconds that can kill a defense and Dalton & McCarron don't seem to excel in that area enough.

I think we passed on a Rare chance at a QB with Watson's traits to get a smallish receiver that set a 40 yard dash record which raised his Stock.

In a QB driven league, it may have made more sense to Stack the Roster at the QB position.
Watson showed Great poise in Championship games at Clemson both in the Pocket and reacting to the rush to extend plays.
Escaping pressure behind a poor O-line is what Aaron Rodgers does and we need a QB that has the potential to do the same.
Even Great offensive lines can break down at the worst moment of a Championship game and avoiding that pressure to make that play is what the Great QB's do. I would rather take my chances with a Deshaun Watson type player than Dalton or McCarron longer term for this reason. Especially if we keep going the Cheap & inexpensive route on the O-line.

I would give John Ross & AJ McCarron for Deshaun Watson right now but the Texans likely would not do it.

We could have just picked him with the 9th overall pick but passed on the 22 year old.

I think we all need to wait and see how much of this is coaching and how much this is on the players.

Can we have O'Brien too. I think that is the missing piece in this equation.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Allen looks like a beast on the d-line in Washington.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 03:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we all need to wait and see how much this is coaching and how much this is on the players.

Can we have O'Brien too. I think that is the missing peace in this equation.

It's a bit both.

-We have mediocre coaches.
-We have a mediocre roster.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 03:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: How does one trade up from the #1 pick in the draft?

There is a way.

Bengals fail to turn in their #1 overall pick before time runs out.

Then the team with the 2nd overall pick takes Sam Darnold.

Then the Bengals have to trade for Darnold by giving them the Moon to make up for the running out of time mistake.   Tongue
Reply/Quote
Mocks I see have Rosen going #1. Darnold going #3.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 03:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mocks I see have Rosen going #1. Darnold going #3.

Those mocks are stupid. Anyone taking Rosen over Darnold will regret it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 01:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: Deshaun Watson was 22 of 33 for 301 yards with 2 TD and 2 interceptions (plus 41 rushing yards) at the Patriots.

There is no way that Deshaun Watson in the first round this year would have been the right call.   

That's not too say Ross was the right pick...I warmed to the 'idea' of the ross pick but I have a nasty feeling the reality with injuries will be massively underwhelming for a #9 pick.

OLine is still the glaring issue so with 20/20 hindsight what ever OLine pick turns out to the a stud this year that should have been the pick !
Reply/Quote

If they had of taken Watson they could have traded Dalton and shed his cap hit plus grabbed picks (his trade value might have been decent last year) or traded McCarron for a second round pick. But that would the management recognizing Daltons limitations and wanting a chance to have better
Reply/Quote