Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case in Point
https://youtu.be/x309wm76c5Y

During last year's game against the Rams, we had a total of 3 red zone TD's (or just outside the redzone). We also had a field goal.

During this game, Tyler Eifert caught a redzone TD pass (or close to the redzone). There's also a play during the 2nd half in which Gio Bernard fumbles after a long gain, only for it to be recovered by Eifert. The drive led to an AJ Green touchdown.

Case in point, without Tyler Eifert in this game, we are missing at least 12 points in this game (possibly more).

That would have brought the final score to Cincinnati: 19 St. Louis (or LA now): 7, including a Leon Hall pick-six, and 2 AJ Green touchdowns. A day carried by the defense, Andy Dalton, and AJ Green (seem familiar?). Our offense during the game against the Rams doesn't look so great now.

The Rams of last year and the Dolphins of this year seem comparable in quality if opponents and at these points in their respective seasons. I believe that the redzone woes of early 2016 for our offense come down to 2 things: A missing Tyler Eifert, and a sparkling new OC who is just now getting his feet wet.

When Eifert comes back, these redzone issues will be cut in half (at least). I'd argue that is a safe wager.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
You have no way of knowing this. Eifert missed time each year under Hue and the offense did not look this anemic in the red zone. Eifert will surely help, but much of this is probably associated with the play calling and an offensive line that can't block with out an extra tackle and tight end.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 02:20 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You have no way of knowing this. Eifert missed time each year under Hue and the offense did not look this anemic in the red zone. Eifert will surely help, but much of this is probably associated with the play calling and an offensive line that can't block with out an extra tackle and tight end.

Time will tell. You have no way of knowing what you're saying either. I like the odds of our redzone offense ticking up as the season goes along.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 02:22 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Time will tell. You have no way of knowing what you're saying either. I like the odds of our redzone offense ticking up as the season goes along.

I do know that they have not looked this bad when Eifert was out before and it would be difficult to actually get worse in the red zone Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 02:35 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I do know that they have not looked this bad when Eifert was out before and it would be difficult to actually get worse in the red zone Ninja

2014 looked rather rough without him, hell we had to send Andy out for a pass in the red zone. LMAO

(*disclaimer:  we had Gresh that year, which is a lot more experienced than the current crop)

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 04:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: 2014 looked rather rough without him, hell we had to send Andy out for a pass in the red zone. LMAO

(*disclaimer:  we had Gresh that year, which is a lot more experienced than the current crop)

True, but Sanu was also the number one receiver for a time during that season.  I think Eifert is going to help, but I don't think he is going to be a magical solution. This team misses Hue more than some argued we would.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 04:33 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: True, but Sanu was also the number one receiver for a time during that season.  I think Eifert is going to help, but I don't think he is going to be a magical solution. This team misses Hue more than some argued we would.

Agree about Hue, and not only was I sad to see him go, but I have never thought much of Zampese.....likening him to Piano Man.  The thing with Eifert is, you have a reliable red zone target, making it hard to key on 18.  We have had some open guys in the red zone, but they've literally dropped the ball.  Eifert rarely drops them.  We still won't be as good as we were last year, but I think we'll improve down there quite a bit when he returns.  He's a better blocker than Kroft and Uzomah as well.

Reply/Quote
I don't think many would deny that Eifert is a really fine player, with a chance to be great. Any player like that is of extreme value in any situation and will certainly make a difference. Eifert's particular talents are of special value value in the red zone.

But the team this year is without many of last year's key players. Besides Eifert, we do not have Marvin Jones, Sanu, Reggie Nelson, Andre Smith and a couple of others I've probably forgotten. That is not to say we can't recover, and I think we well. Obviously Ced will be a fine tackle one day and maybe sooner than later, but Smith was an especially good run blocker. Marvin Jones and Sanu are showing now what good players they are, not that we didn't know it, but Lafell and Boyd will be getting more and more integrated into the offense as we go.

My point is that while we probably miss Eifert the most, we are trying to adjust to a lot of change, and I think we'll be steadily improving.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 04:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: 2014 looked rather rough without him, hell we had to send Andy out for a pass in the red zone. LMAO

Gresh was experienced all right.... Experienced at holding on a weak side run that goes to the end zone...  
Reply/Quote
McCarron came in the 45th quarter with some backup receivers. It would have been more of a blowout of we would have had the starters in all game. Not saying Eifert isn't a beast just saying what happened.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 04:47 AM)ah5 Wrote: Gresh was experienced all right.... Experienced at holding on a weak side run that goes to the end zone...  

Gresh was a good TE if he didn't make mistakes, but he constantly made mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 04:47 AM)ah5 Wrote: Gresh was experienced all right.... Experienced at holding on a weak side run that goes to the end zone...  

Yes, but more game experience nonetheless.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 04:55 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: McCarron came in the 45th quarter

That would probably be close to the longest game in NFL history.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 01:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That would probably be close to the longest game in NFL history.

Lol, damn phone always auto correcting stuff...
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 04:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agree about Hue, and not only was I sad to see him go, but I have never thought much of Zampese.....likening him to Piano Man.  The thing with Eifert is, you have a reliable red zone target, making it hard to key on 18.  We have had some open guys in the red zone, but they've literally dropped the ball.  Eifert rarely drops them.  We still won't be as good as we were last year, but I think we'll improve down there quite a bit when he returns.  He's a better blocker than Kroft and Uzomah as well.

It would also help a lot if we could run the ball on goal to go for more than a -3 yards per carry average.
Reply/Quote