Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caskey stays
What really ruined both Hill and Mixon is trying to run like Bell.

That's the truth. Remember Hill was first to "look up to him". Then suddenly the downhill runner turned into the dancer. Mixon quit hitting the hole hard too and mimicked that stop and go Bell style (that you need a great Oline for).

I'm not blaming the Oline or blocking for our rb's struggle. Gio could always run behind them. Burkhead too.

I blame the OC on Gio usage. There's room for him to be a big part of an offense along with Mixon (or any other big back on the roster).

It's not all on the line. Anderson knew a big back when he saw one. Somehow we now fall for big backs who want to be scat backs.... Something has to change. If not the RB coach then the philosophy of drafting rb's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Was mostly the blocking schemes or lack of. When half the defense is already behind the line of scrimmage when the back gets the ball in his hands it's not going to be a 1000 yard season for anyone unless you're counting yards lost.
I think Alexander probably had good schemes at one time, but defenses adapt and he never did. I think he was still coaching for a 1980s offensive line in 2017 without taking into account the changes in defensive players and coaches..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe 3 things came together to ruin J. Hill

Himself: there for awhile he got this idea in his head he was a scat back - he's not

Scheme: they tried to use him standing up in the shotgun - that's not where he excells

Blocking: he's the type of downhill runner that needs a bit of a lane

While I doubt he's gonna go somewhere else and be the next Earl Campbell I'd venture to say he has some usefulness left in the right scheme.

Agreed, I think he will wind up somewhere like Denver and end up being a decent back for a few years. Won't happen here though, hope we don't resign him.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 07:07 PM)pally Wrote: Kyle Caskey has been retained as running backs coach.

If this was Lasor or Marvins choice, I'm for it.....If it was a Mike Brown, Tobin move, I'm against it. ...Word on here all night is Marvin and Lasor get to hire coaches, so if Mike Brown or Tobin did this it blows it all out of the water 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: THREE SECOND ROUND PICKS!!!! And the worst rushing attack in the history of the franchise.

This is one of the coaches that should have been gone.

No holes, Jeremy Hill was never a back that could make something out of nothing either like Barry Sanders.

Same with Gio who can be slippery but once he is hit in the backfield he is done.

Mixon has great ability but he is also too big, just like Hill to try and act like a scat back in the backfield.

(01-03-2018, 09:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Hill regressed big time under him. So has Gio. Mixon was suppossed to be arguably the most talented back in the draft. Burkhead got barely any pt. 

Dude was handed 3 2nd round picks. The first two came in looking studly and fell off. Im pointing right at Caskey

Might be a lazy hire Nati and you could be right but maybe with a decent run blocking O-line we may see a difference.

Plus, it is not up to Caskey on who gets playing time of his guys, it is up to Marv clearly.

(01-03-2018, 09:40 PM)McC Wrote: When Hill had blocking, he ran his ass off his rookie year.  They were running the counter trey and running all over people.

This year, when there was anywhere to run, which was seldom until the last third of the season, all three backs ran well.  In the history of the league, there have been very few backs who didn't need somewhere to run, to not be dodging tacklers in the backfield.  There have been a few.  They are all in the HOF.

All true, even if these guys are all talented, especially Mixon and Gio, they are not Barry Sanders.

(01-03-2018, 09:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe 3 things came together to ruin J. Hill

Himself: there for awhile he got this idea in his head he was a scat back - he's not

Scheme: they tried to use him standing up in the shotgun - that's not where he excells

Blocking: he's the type of downhill runner that needs a bit of a lane

While I doubt he's gonna go somewhere else and be the next Earl Campbell I'd venture to say he has some usefulness left in the right scheme.

Everything you said i truly believe is what ruined the dude here.

He has a confidence issue here after this too. But it might be cleared up in another scheme as soon as he sees some daylight.

Same for Gio and Mixon here with a new O-line coach. Cool
Reply/Quote
I loved the rookie hill . It seemed he lost a bit of speed to me later on ,and the jump cut he used alot went away,also like others mentioned ,always lining him up in shotgun formation with not so good blocking is what did it. He did make that horrible fumble,but I just couldn't hate him for it,he looked down on the replays,they lined up fast to run that play,he was also stripped in the rain.

PS I want to pay attention to the weather this weekend I swear we get rain every playoff game here ,and we suck in the rain.
Reply/Quote