Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castellanos likely to be free agent
(11-09-2021, 04:28 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I really hope with the CBA expiring that the majority of the owners reufse to move off the need for a salary cap in baseball.

It is the only major sport without one, and it is the only way that the constant rebuild mode in Cincinnati will stop.

Completely agree! I’ve been saying this about a salary cap in baseball for what seems like forever! I know big spending doesn’t always end with positive results, but neither does being totally reliant on your farm system if you’re a “small market” team. Our cupboard is pretty bare right now with guys who are ready for their call up. Aside from Greene and Lodolo, I can’t name one single guy in our farm system ready for The Show. This salary purge they’re doing right now may be necessary, but who are they going to replace these players with? I’m so apathetic towards this ownership group, wish they’d sell the team to someone who actually cares. This franchise is steeped in history, maybe not as much as NY or Boston or even LA, and it’s disgusting to me they refuse to do what it takes to field a perennial winner.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 04:28 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I really hope with the CBA expiring that the majority of the owners reufse to move off the need for a salary cap in baseball.

It is the only major sport without one, and it is the only way that the constant rebuild mode in Cincinnati will stop.

What they really need is a salary floor. There's no reason any team in MLB right now should be spending less than $80m/yr on their payroll and ideally no less than $100m.

In 2021, there were 4 teams that didn't even spend $60m on their payroll. This year the Athletics are already looking to get down to a $55m payroll, reportedly, after $91m last year.

Too many tanking teams with cheap owners. It's not good for the sport.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 07:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What they really need is a salary floor. There's no reason any team in MLB right now should be spending less than $80m/yr on their payroll and ideally no less than $100m.

In 2021, there were 4 teams that didn't even spend $60m on their payroll. This year the Athletics are already looking to get down to a $55m payroll, reportedly, after $91m last year.

I'd be in favor of both a cap and a floor, making all teams operate in the same frame of salary construction would be good for the balance of the league.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 07:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What they really need is a salary floor. There's no reason any team in MLB right now should be spending less than $80m/yr on their payroll and ideally no less than $100m.

I think you are wrong here.  The issue isnt teams not spending money, why should teams over pay the players?  The issue is the salaries as a whole, they are too high. 

If you put in a salary floor, is that going to make players want to go to Pittsburg more? No, what's going to happen is Pittsburg will be forced to over play some of their own talent to stay, in turn, driving up all player salaries, and therefore repeating the cycle.  
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 04:18 PM)plantmanky Wrote:  The issue is the salaries as a whole, they are too high. 

How can they be "too high" when a competitive market sets the price?
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 04:18 PM)plantmanky Wrote: If you put in a salary floor, is that going to make players want to go to Pittsburg more? No,

Actually, yes it will.

The proof is on NFL free agency where players go to bad teams all the time in order to get paid.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can they be "too high" when a competitive market sets the price?

Is it a competitive market if only a small group of teams are doing the bidding?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 03:29 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Is it a competitive market if only a small group of teams are doing the bidding?

Yes.

How in the hell would more teams bidding drive DOWN the salary?
Reply/Quote
To the vast majority of people, forget only baseball fans of one team, but citizens in general these salaries are utterly obscene as they are in most sports these days. It would be one thing if they ran into burning buildings to save kids or made things that everyone can use or generally do anything besides play a kids game until they're too old to compete, but the bottom line is it's nothing more than low brow entertainment and when your team is constantly losing it's not even that, it's just flaunting their filthy rich money pretending to do anything of importance to the rest of society.
If there were no professional sports at all and nobody were paid to play the game plenty of people would still play games and there would be teams made up of pretty good players playing part time merely for the fun of it. I wish that were actually the case, but it's not and we see every year some schmuck has one good season, somehow gets several million bucks for his next contract and does jack shit the rest of his sporting career or get injured and remains perpetually injured until his contract expires leaving fans furious.
The thing is, not every citizen of every town with a pro team is a fan. There are always plenty of non-sports fans, but those folks still have to pay one way or another for games they could care less about. My wife is one such person. She doesn't watch sports at all and could care less who wins or loses and yet she still ends up paying a portion in taxes to support a team that provides nothing but entertainment and nothing more.
Imagine if, for example you were taxed heavily so towns miles and miles away could watch reruns of the Brady Bunch or Gilligan's Island or whatever. That's kind of what goes on with professional sports, not exactly, but you get the gist. It gets even more strange when you consider that players were paid almost nothing while the team owners got almost all the money and zero fans showed up to watch the owners do anything. The players got smart and demanded to get their share, good for them, but it's still obscene when you consider the worst players on most teams still paid far more money than non-athletes make in a year. In the NFL just practice squad players. From Draftkings, "Practice squad players make $9,200 per week or $165,600 for 18 weeks. Veteran players with over two years of experience will make $14,000 per week or $252,000 for 18 weeks." How many of you get paid $165k in 4 1/2 months? or $252K?  You can argue all day they're super talented, but other than football, baseball or whatever they offer little to nothing to society as a whole other than carbon dioxide when they breath out..
I don't begrudge anyone from getting it. Hell, I'd take that kind of money if I didn't have to go in front of a stadium of screaming fans
Anyway, enough of my silly rant. I'm not changing the rules with it and nobody has ever come up with a reasonable counter argument to convince me otherwise.
Bottom line for me, now that Castillanos is no longer a Reds player and chasing the almighty dollar I hope he has the worst season anyone ever had for the rest of his new contract wherever it may be unless it's with the Reds. If a player is gonna get paid a gazillion bucks he should at least stay with the same team for awhile..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote