Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MLB Draft...Reds
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft

The Reds have 3 picks this year in somewhat an extended 1st round of 36 picks.

Pick 17...based on their record and 1st round exit last year
Pick 30...an extra pick given when they lost Bauer to FA
Pick 35...a competitive balance pick given to selective small market teams.

Early baseball draft picks are less impactful right away than say the NFL and NBA, but heh, 3 picks is a nice number this year.

Couple early points. There is a right hand pitcher from Miami Ohio who could go in the first half.

There is now a combine which will be on MLB network this Friday

The actual draft is in July.

Any thoughts to add, feel welcome.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Baseball draft picks are a lot different from football.. Everyone knows the picks in football, but who knows the 33rd rounder from last year? Lopez was a 27th round pick in 2015..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021/5/17/22439025/2021-mlb-draft-scouting-report-colson-montgomery

Colson Montgomery might be the draft's biggest riser. He's a tall, athletic shortstop. His ceiling might even be in the range of the Reds 1st pick. This write up is from May and he has upped his value since then. He looked good vs his peers at the combine. He's a two sport player in Indiana. Lefty hitting, throws right.
Reply/Quote
Reds first pick of Round 1 is Matt McLain SS UCLA.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Reds second pick of round 1 is Jay Allen OF John Carroll HS FL.
Reply/Quote
Reds third pick of round 1 is Matheu Nelson C FSU.
Reply/Quote
Love the McClain kid.. He's going to solidify the infield for years to come with him, India, perhaps Senzel and Barrero.. The middle infield looks locked up for a while with some legit talent to burn..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I like the Reds approach to drafting the last 5-7 years. They usually go into the draft with a plan . . . one year pitchers, next year field players. This appears to be a field player year. Infielder, outfielder and a catcher. Now I'm pretty interested in what their 2nd round choice is going to be.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Reds appear to be stockpiling shortstops..a position of need for lots of teams ..Maybe it's part of the plan to have lots of trade chips down the road.

Reply/Quote
Out of 36 picks, 15 were pitchers and 11 were shortstops.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 09:48 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Out of 36 picks, 15 were pitchers and 11 were shortstops.

Today alone?  I seriously doubt they are all slated to play just SS.. 

Reply/Quote
Kind of glad the Reds let Trammel go..He was sent back to AAA in Seattle hitting just .164.. Evidently not quite big league material..

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 08:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: Reds appear to be stockpiling shortstops..a position of need for lots of teams ..Maybe it's part of the plan to have lots of trade chips down the road.

McClain looks more like a secondbaseman.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 02:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: McClain looks more like a secondbaseman.

Might end up at 2nd if Barrero hits it big. Barrero and Lopez ain't gonna just lay down for anyone to have the spot..

Reply/Quote
Pretty good draft on paper.. Abbot had the 3rd most stikeouts among all pitchers in Division I.. Nabbed him in the 2ns round and grabbed Jose Torres in the 3rd. Torres is supposed to be the best defensive SS in ages..

Reply/Quote
https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2021/all/team/reds

updated.

Reds drafted a 290 lb 1st baseman in round 4.
Reply/Quote
The Angels first 20 picks were all pitchers. https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2021/all/team/angels

I think that they are tired of Mike Trout missing the post-season.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I am not a huge MLB draft fan. At least not compared to my love of the NFL draft. The bust rate is so high that no individual pick is guaranteed or even expected to change a franchise like in football. Even highly drafted players like Hunter Greene are usually projected as 3 to 4 year works in progress and that is if they work out (which isn't guaranteed by any means, especially for pitchers). If you draft a college player, you will get a more immediate return but then you have players like Senzel who look like can't miss prospects that, every day now, is looking more and more like a miss.

With all that said, I still look forward to the MLB draft because it's something that can provide hope. I was so excited to see us draft Greene even though I knew he wouldn't sniff the majors for at least 3 to 4 years (we'll see if he makes his major league debut in the second half of this season). And, while I don't know much about these players, it's always fun to dream of them being every day contributors for this team sometime in the future. I don't follow the players or get to know the prospects that well, but always enjoy reading about who the Reds ended up picking.

I like the selection of McClain because this was a guy who was good enough to be drafted in the first round out of high school and, to the surprise of nearly everyone, actually went to college. According to an article I was reading about him, this doesn't happen all that often for first round picks. And he improved each year in college and is now our first round pick again. Given he's a college player, you could see him coming to the majors within 2 years if he plays well enough in the minors.

It seems like he is a classic "good at all, great at none (or very few)" type prospect, but that's okay with me. At shortstop, all we really need is a decent bat and a decent glove. We don't need an all-star. It'll be interesting to see if he develops quickly and, if so, what that means for the future of SS in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
I love when guys drafted in like the 43rd round go on to the HOF at least for the reds. I don't pay all that much attention to the top picks that often. They tend to disappoint more often than not, but I do enjoy watching a kid just barely drafted in the very late rounds develop over several years and become every day solid ball players. There have been a lot of those guys who bounce around from A- AA- A, AAA to A to HOF out of the blue.. Those guys who play the game because they simply love the game and can't imagine doing anything else..

Reply/Quote