Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castillo is Meh
Please someone fix this guy; the Reds really need him to perform well this season. I don't know what the hell happened but either opponents have figured him out or they changed his release point and he is missing his points.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't get too caught up in spring training numbers. He could be working on a new pitch/delivery.
Reply/Quote
It won’t shock me if Tyler Mahle doesn’t end up having a better career.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It won’t shock me if Tyler Mahle doesn’t end up having a better career.

The thing with Castillo is that he just pitched 377 innings in the minor leagues.  He was 21 when he was signed by the Reds.

Mahle is younger, but since he signed with the Reds at 18 he spent 2 more years and pitched over 200 more innings in the minors then Castillo.

So I think it is more likely that Castillo is still learning and developing than Mahle.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The thing with Castillo is that he just pitched 377 innings in the minor leagues.  He was 21 when he was signed by the Reds.

Mahle is younger, but since he signed with the Reds at 18 he spent 2 more years and pitched over 200 more innings in the minors then Castillo.

So I think it is more likely that Castillo is still learning and developing than Mahle.

Yep, they both have the stuff and need a couple of years of learning on the job. Ups and downs are common with the young guys and then hopefully something just clicks and sticks. I think that they’ll both get plenty of opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't get too caught up in spring training numbers.  He could be working on a new pitch/delivery.

This.

This Spring...
2x Cy Young Corey Kluber has a 9.82 ERA
3x Cy Young Max Scherzer has a 4.58 ERA
Reigning MVP Mookie Betts has a .762 OPS
Overrated $330m Bryce Harper is 0-8, 5 Ks

At the end of the day, Castillo has pitched 259.0 innings in the majors with a 3.89 ERA. That is far more important to remember than the 8.2 innings he has pitched this Spring.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I still have high hopes for Castillo. Don't abandon ship just yet
Reply/Quote
Opening day starter.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 10:15 AM)McC Wrote: Opening day starter.

It should be Gray
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Well, keep in mind it's 1 (one) game . While opening day is a big deal in Cincinnati it's not the entire season..there will still be 161 other games to be played..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I missed the first two innings yesterday but what I saw he looked pretty good.
Reply/Quote
It was the best that he has looked in quite a while that Derek Johnson must be a genius.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The way player salaries and teams abilities to pay or not pay them has changed it's becoming more and more rare that pitchers can complete games. It's well documented now that many a young up and coming player, pitchers in particular are well established before they ever reach the major league level. Teams often now have several pitchers in their farm clubs able to throw over 100 mph even before signing their first professional contract. Is it any wonder the Nick Senzel's of the world are kept in the minor leagues longer and longer so teams can maintain financial control over them before they're able to go on to free agency or arbitration? (Good article in the NYTimes on the subject..https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/27/sports/baseball/mlb-preview.html ) Like it or not even most minor league clubs are financial money makers for teams. The Dayton Dragons have sold out every game since day one..Hardly a financial drain on the Reds.
Anyway, on Castillo..He's got a live arm and will very likely have a great career barring injuries. He tossed a darn good game Thursday.. Here's to many more from Castillo.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 02:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It should be Gray

Apparently not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Apparently not.

My only guess on Gray is that his arm still has issues.  He wasn't missing his spots by much.  But what a disappointing start.  Hopefully Johnson will iron this out.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 02:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It should be Gray

(04-01-2019, 11:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Apparently not.

Hah, right? I was about to say.. "I'll take statements that didn't age well for 100, Alex."

(04-01-2019, 02:37 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: My only guess on Gray is that his arm still has issues.  He wasn't missing his spots by much.  But what a disappointing start.  Hopefully Johnson will iron this out.  

It seemed like a solid 1/4th of his pitches hit the dirt well before they crossed the plate.

He was missing his spots like a Robert Stepenson pickoff move to 2nd.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The last 2 outings for Castillo have been great. I'm even thinking of calling him an ace pitcher.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Meh-smerizing
Reply/Quote
someone "fixed" the guy...
Tongue
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Castillo is just so...meh...ordinary n stuff. It's too bad we don't have 4 more meh...ordinary n stuff starters and a few more meh...ordinary n stuff bullpen arms.

Your early pronouncement of meh-ness seems to coincide with my own pronouncements of how meh things can be. Whenever I say these things they do exactly the opposite except for Disco and Billyball.. Both of them have truly been "meh" in the extreme..  I propose that we declare the entire team as "MEH" to see if they can win the world series..  Hilarious

Reply/Quote