Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Catalog of Mike Brown Excuses and Dumb Quotes
(01-23-2018, 02:40 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point. Never once have I seen the man really fall on the sword. He usually doesn't even want to admit a bad season was actually bad, preferring to make excuses or look for a sliver of something positive.

As a fan, I guess that attitude would be ok. As the team owner, it's the worst possible attitude he could have. He's content with the mediocrity and doesn't even really view it as mediocrity. 

But it won't stop some fans thinking that after the draft and some average FA pickups that we now have the tools to go all the way and play this season with an 11-5 record. So you have a clueless owner and a handful of fans who are as delusional as he is with how "Close" this team is year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year....

I think I left out a few "After Year" lines!
Reply/Quote
Shake deserves a medal for his research in making this post.

The Bengals will never change as long as Mike is alive. They don't care about fans or selling seats because they are subsidized and wealthy thanks to TV money.

This business would never survive in the real world.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
MB will die or fade off into the sunset. But I wager some of you will still blame him for the future losses long after he is gone. Paul is worshiped, yet he really won nothing with the Bengals, but MB who has been worse than a HOF legend gets whipped, even now at a time he likely is not all that involved in anything day ty to day.

So have it while you can, soon it will be Katie to maliciously attack to make yourself feel better you are a fan of a crappy team. God forbid our fans hold our million dollar players accountable for results.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: MB will die or fade off into the sunset. But I wager some of you will still blame him for the future losses long after he is gone. Paul is worshiped, yet he really won nothing with the Bengals, but MB who has been worse than a HOF legend gets whipped, even now at a time he likely is not all that involved in anything day ty to day.

So have it while you can, soon it will be Katie to maliciously attack to make yourself feel better you are a fan of a crappy team. God forbid our fans hold our million dollar players accountable for results.

It's great you recognize that someone is accountable for 27+ years without a playoff win! You point the finger at the players. I agree. They do underperform, mainly in big, primetime games.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 05:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We need to start cataloging all of these weak excuses and mind-numbingly dumb quotes that Mike has served through the years.  

Why?

Dead Horse
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 05:08 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Shake deserves a medal for his research in making this post.

No, he doesn't.

Quote:The Bengals will never change as long as Mike is alive. They don't care about fans or selling seats because they are subsidized and wealthy thanks to TV money.

Except that they have changed greatly over the years.

Quote:This business would never survive in the real world.

Except that it does survive...quite well...in the real world.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's great you recognize that someone is accountable for 27+ years without a playoff win! You point the finger at the players. I agree. They do underperform, mainly in big, primetime games.

You win as a team, you lose a team. The Bengals team consists of:

Owner
FO
Coaches
Players

They all should be held accountable when they lose, if they win, they all should get the credit.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: MB will die or fade off into the sunset. But I wager some of you will still blame him for the future losses long after he is gone. Paul is worshiped, yet he really won nothing with the Bengals, but MB who has been worse than a HOF legend gets whipped, even now at a time he likely is not all that involved in anything day ty to day.

Under Paul, Cincinnati received a professional football team, had a .504 winning percentage, won 5 Playoff games, and appeared in two Super Bowls. Under Mike, the team has been a punchline with no Playoff wins, a .41 winning pct., and 0 Super Bowl appearances in 27 years.

You want to hold the players accountable? Fine, just remember who gets the GM salary and chooses to sign players. Hint: He’s the bum with the .41 winning pct. and 0 Playoff wins in almost 30 years at the helm.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/BrowPa0.htm
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 06:07 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Under Paul, Cincinnati received a professional football team, had a .504 winning percentage, won 5 Playoff games, and appeared in two Super Bowls. Under Mike, the team has been a punchline with no Playoff wins, a .41 winning pct., and 0 Super Bowl appearances in 27 years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/BrowPa0.htm

No Trophies for PB. Many would say him bringing a team created more anguish than pleasure. His career .5oo record is far from impressive, sorry he did great things prior to coming to Cincinnati, once here he was average.

Reply/Quote
Mike, Katie and Troy need to take a one way plane trip into the Bermuda Triangle.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: Why?

Dead Horse

I made this thread over a year ago. After Marvin was brought back yet again. Someone revived it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 05:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: No, he doesn't.

Except that they have changed greatly over the years.

Except that it does survive...quite well...in the real world.

You are replying to a year-old post.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 07:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I made this thread over a year ago. After Marvin was brought back yet again. Someone revived it.

It's still largely the same front office and management team in place for the past 27 years.

If you had an IRA that lost money every year for 27 years...would you think it would do good in year 28?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's still largely the same front office and management team in place for the past 27 years.

If you had an IRA that lost money every year for 27 years...would you think it would do good in year 28?

We'll see, man. My honest opinion on the current state of the Bengals is this:

I love that we finally dumped Marv. I love that we allowed Taylor to pick his own staff. That's power that even Marv wasn't afforded back in 2003, when he got stuck with most of the offensive coaches (Bratkowski, Piano Man, etc). 

I don't love that Mike still refuses to expand the scouting department. There is no excuse for that whatsoever. Same deal with the lack of a practice facility. Mike had $200 million to buy out minority ownership of the Bengals, but can't be bothered to spend around that to keep up with the rest of the league? He even implied that it was imminent back in 2011, yet here we are. Not cool. 

The jury is still out on whether or not Mike will be willing to adjust the "model model" philosophy of cheaping out in free agency. We should have a good amount of cap room and we have some pretty big needs. This would be a good year to spend a bit more than their usual. That's something Mike has done very rarely, but he did spend a bit in Marv's first year (Tory James, Kevin Hardy, John Thornton, Duane Clemons, Reggie Kelly, etc). We'll see on that.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We'll see, man. My honest opinion on the current state of the Bengals is this:

I love that we finally dumped Marv. I love that we allowed Taylor to pick his own staff. That's power that even Marv wasn't afforded back in 2003, when he got stuck with most of the offensive coaches (Bratkowski, Piano Man, etc). 

I don't love that Mike still refuses to expand the scouting department. There is no excuse for that whatsoever. Same deal with the lack of a practice facility. Mike had $200 million to buy out minority ownership of the Bengals, but can't be bothered to spend around that to keep up with the rest of the league? He even implied that it was imminent back in 2011, yet here we are. Not cool. 

The jury is still out on whether or not Mike will be willing to adjust the "model model" philosophy of cheaping out in free agency. We should have a good amount of cap room and we have some pretty big needs. This would be a good year to spend a bit more than their usual. That's something Mike has done very rarely, but he did spend a bit in Marv's first year (Tory James, Kevin Hardy, John Thornton, Duane Clemons, Reggie Kelly, etc). We'll see on that.

I'd say I agree with that 100% and may I add that the Comp Pick strategy bothers me. It's ok if you go for Comp picks occasionally, but to rely on waived free agents as opposed to other free agents just due to Comp picks is kind of crazy.

I'd also like to see a uniform change back to the late 80's uniforms.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 08:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We'll see, man. My honest opinion on the current state of the Bengals is this:

We all know Mike isn’t serious about facility upgrades. Those cost money he isn’t willing to spend. Same with scouts, even though scout salaries are a bargain, and the team relies on draft to a fault.

That said, if Mike is serious about winning some combination of Kwon Alexander/Jordan Hicks/C.J. Mosley/Trent Brown/Ja’waun James/Roger Saffold/Timmy Jernigan/Landon Collins will be signed in FA to allow the team flexibility in the Draft. Any two on this list is easily doable given the massive amount of cap space the team is sitting on. The team has too many holes to fill via the draft. Continued bargain hunting with castoffs and retreads in FA will tell you all you need to know about the FO’s desire for a competitive 2019 season.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 06:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No Trophies for PB. Many would say him bringing a team created more anguish than pleasure. His career .5oo record is far from impressive, sorry he did great things prior to coming to Cincinnati, once here he was average.

Playing against the Dynasty Steelers when only 4 teams made the Playoffs in each Conference didn’t help. Starting with a expansions team didn’t either. Yes it’s true the Browns coached/run by Brown were better off than the 70’s-80’s Bengals. That said, the 70’s-80’s Bengals were a respectable organization that competed for the odd title here and there. Never was the team a perennial doormat. That’s more than can be said for the tenure of Mike Brown. The organization has regressed from its earlier success.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:22 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: We all know Mike isn’t serious about facility upgrades.  Those cost money he isn’t willing to spend.  Same with scouts, even though scout salaries are a bargain, and the team relies on draft to a fault.

That said, if Mike is serious about winning some combination of Kwon Alexander/Jordan Hicks/C.J. Mosley/Trent Brown/Ja’waun James/Roger Saffold/Timmy Jernigan/Landon Collins will be signed in FA to allow the team flexibility in the Draft.  Any two on this list is easily doable given the massive amount of cap space the team is sitting on.  The team has too many holes to fill via the draft.  Continued bargain hunting with castoffs and retreads in FA will tell you all you need to know about the FO’s desire for a competitive 2019 season.

The practice fields that are near the stadium under the bridge are terrible. The Steelers have an entire complex. Outdoor and Indoor facilities. We have practice fields under a bridge.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:22 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: We all know Mike isn’t serious about facility upgrades.  Those cost money he isn’t willing to spend.  Same with scouts, even though scout salaries are a bargain, and the team relies on draft to a fault.

That said, if Mike is serious about winning some combination of Kwon Alexander/Jordan Hicks/C.J. Mosley/Trent Brown/Ja’waun James/Roger Saffold/Timmy Jernigan/Landon Collins will be signed in FA to allow the team flexibility in the Draft.  Any two on this list is easily doable given the massive amount of cap space the team is sitting on.  The team has too many holes to fill via the draft.  Continued bargain hunting with castoffs and retreads in FA will tell you all you need to know about the FO’s desire for a competitive 2019 season.

Until those things (scouts and facility) change, it will always show (IMO) that Mike isn't all that serious about change. As much as some things may change (new HC with plenty of say), there are some things he will be stubborn about til death. 

...and yes, these next few weeks will tell us plenty about how serious the FO is about winning in 2019. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Until those things (scouts and facility) change, it will always show (IMO) that Mike isn't all that serious about change. As much as some things may change (new HC with plenty of say), there are some things he will be stubborn about til death. 

...and yes, these next few weeks will tell us plenty about how serious the FO is about winning in 2019. 

Indeed.

Switching HC's 5 years too late is definately a sign of hope around here.

Last year EVERYONE knew we needed 2 new Tackles and a Guard. They traded for Glenn and rolled with Bobby Hart was bad the year before.

Fans were elated because we added Glenn.

That's a normal off-season for many teams. It shows how downtrodden the fanbase is.
Reply/Quote