Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholic nurse sues Duke University Hospital
This is a dilly....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2017/11/02/catholic-nurse-sues-duke-university-hospital-discrimination-after-she-refuses-assist-abortions-and-c/824601001/

Quote:Catholic nurse sues Duke University Hospital after refusing to assist with abortions, contraception

A Catholic nurse sued Duke University Hospital in Durham, N.C., alleging it discriminated against her religious beliefs by failing to accommodate her objections to abortion, birth control and giving vaccinations.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court, asks Duke University and its health system for back pay and other damages on behalf of Sara Pedro, who moved from New York City in August 2016 to take a job at the hospital. Michigan-based Thomas More Law Center, a conservative foundation whose advisory board includes former U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, a 2012 GOP presidential candidate, is assisting in the case.

A spokeswoman for Duke, Samiha Khanna, said that the hospital does not comment on active litigation.

According to the suit, Pedro asked for and got an exemption from receiving vaccines soon after she began working at the hospital. In early December, she followed up by telling hospital administrators she was “unable” to assist with abortions as well as administering contraceptives and “any vaccines.” The Catholic Church has ruled that some vaccines, notably those used in the prevention of rubella, are morally questionable because they were developed from the tissue of aborted fetuses.

According to the Durham Herald-Sun, Duke placed Pedro on unpaid leave in December, for what her lawyers contend were “pretextual reasons.” In addition, the paper reported, the lawsuit alleged that she was kept on “orientation” status well after other nurses hired around the same time.

Pedro has since returned to New York City and, according to the suit, is suffering from post-traumatic stress and other issues that prevent her from working. Her lawyers said she worked at hospitals in New York for eight years before moving to North Carolina and had an impeccable record.

The lawsuit contends Duke violated the religious-discrimination section of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by failing to give Pedro a “reasonable accommodation” for her beliefs

I did not know the Catholic church said some vaccines are bad.

That might be the tipping point.

As to the lawsuit...I guess she can move and find a catholic hospital to work at.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I hate people sometimes. I was okay with the lawsuit (didn't agree but hey sue away) until the PTSD claim. You have PTSD from being fired? Get over yourself.
The job is the job. If you aren't willing to do it, find a place that suits you better.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-02-2017, 02:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: This is a dilly....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2017/11/02/catholic-nurse-sues-duke-university-hospital-discrimination-after-she-refuses-assist-abortions-and-c/824601001/

I did not know the Catholic church said some vaccines are bad.

That might be the tipping point.

As to the lawsuit...I guess she can move and find a catholic hospital to work at.

The tipping point for the lawsuit?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-02-2017, 02:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The job is the job.  If you aren't willing to do it,  find a place that suits you better.

On top of that, it appears she didn't put these objections forward before her employment.  Although it seems like they could have accommodated her....but when you accept the job, the employer is relying that you can and will perform all the duties in the job description.
--------------------------------------------------------

(11-02-2017, 02:45 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: On top of that, it appears she didn't put these objections forward before her employment.  Although it seems like they could have accommodated her....but when you accept the job, the employer is relying that you can and will perform all the duties in the job description.

Yeah I'd have a little more sympathy if they introduced new practices after she had been employed.

(11-02-2017, 02:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The tipping point for the lawsuit?

Me and my tenuous ties to the Catholic church.
(11-02-2017, 02:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Me and my tenuous ties to the Catholic church.

Oh.

Quote: The Catholic Church has ruled that some vaccines, notably those used in the prevention of rubella, are morally questionable because they were developed from the tissue of aborted fetuses.

When they say developed do they mean when they were first created or they use them to make the vaccine?  If it's the latter, then it's a fairly obvious stance.  If it's the former, they only call it morally questionable.

(11-02-2017, 03:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh.

When they say developed do they mean when they were first created or they use them to make the vaccine?  If it's the latter, then it's a fairly obvious stance.  If it's the former, they only call it morally questionable.

The story has the link to the Church's statement on it.  There are certain lines that are from aborted fetuses.  I understand the thought process. 
(11-02-2017, 03:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: The story has the link to the Church's statement on it.  There are certain lines that are from aborted fetuses.  I understand the thought process. 

Yeah I noticed that and skimmed it.  It seems doctors and nurses are considered very far removed, and even not morally responsible if there are no alternatives except to push for what is considered an ethical alternative so it would seem her only obligation is to write drug companies or whatever in an attempt to have ethical forms of the vaccination created.  

(11-02-2017, 03:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I noticed that and skimmed it.  It seems doctors and nurses are considered very far removed, and even not morally responsible if there are no alternatives except to push for what is considered an ethical alternative so it would seem her only obligation is to write drug companies or whatever in an attempt to have ethical forms of the vaccination created.  

First time I've read a Church opinion piece like this before. But, I think she is screwed legally and spiritually. The Church's opinion regarding vaccinations made from the aborted fetus cell lines is the basis for her objecting to giving all vaccinations. But, the Church isn't against giving all vaccinations. So her stance isn't in keeping with the Church's opinions. Matter of fact, since there aren't any alternatives to three vaccinations in the US, the Church allows for those vaccinations given a greater risk to the public. So she is actually defying the Church.
(11-02-2017, 04:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: First time I've read a Church opinion piece like this before. But, I think she is screwed legally and spiritually. The Church's opinion regarding vaccinations made from the aborted fetus cell lines is the basis for her objecting to giving all vaccinations. But, the Church isn't against giving all vaccinations. So her stance isn't in keeping with the Church's opinions. Matter of fact, since there aren't any alternatives to three vaccinations in the US, the Church allows for those vaccinations given a greater risk to the public. So she is actually defying the Church.

That's what it looked like to me even with the morally tenuous ones. Her only obligation seems to be to somehow advocate for a more ethical form, which writing a letter would seem to satisfy.

(11-02-2017, 04:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's what it looked like to me even with the morally tenuous ones. Her only obligation seems to be to somehow advocate for a more ethical form, which writing a letter would seem to satisfy.

I think if she had a true religious objection she would only object to giving specific vaccinations, not all vaccinations. Plus the info she isn't currently working due to, at least in part, PTSD gives me the impression this is just a money grab.