Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caught walking while Black
(11-05-2015, 01:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: Still blows that they can pull you over for no reason though.

At least they don't bust your taillight out with their flashlight to simulate the reason for being pulled over, anymore.
I suppose they might, if they don't have a dash cam and you insist they needed a reason.
:snark:
Not all cops are so bad. This story breaks my heart:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/us/georgia-state-trooper-children-halloween-parents-death-fundraiser/index.html
(11-05-2015, 01:58 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Not all cops are so bad.  This story breaks my heart:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/us/georgia-state-trooper-children-halloween-parents-death-fundraiser/index.html

I don't know how police tell people about deaths, especially someone's child.  You are about to go destroy someone's world.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Racial profiling is real. It has been proven. As long as police departments still get busted for racial profiling minorities are going to be curious every time they come in contact with the police when they have done nothing wrong.

Seriously, how can you blame minorities for be suspicious of police when it is proven that some of them engage in racial profiling? It is like dating a woman who has been caught cheating on you before. She may not be cheating on you every time she does not come home when she is supposed to, but you can't help but suspect that she might be.
(11-05-2015, 02:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Racial profiling is real.  It has been proven.  As long as police departments still get busted for racial profiling minorities are going to be curious every time they come in contact with the police when they have done nothing wrong.

Seriously, how can you blame minorities for be suspicious of police when it is proven that some of them engage in racial profiling?  It is like dating a woman who has been caught cheating on you before.  She may not be cheating on you every time she does not come home when she is supposed to, but you can't help but suspect that she might be.

Financial profiling is real, as well.
I was pulled over in an affluent neighborhood for basically driving a rusty vehicle.
The cop asked what I was doing in that neighborhood and even told me that I didn't belong there.
Now, that was 15 years ago, but I'm sure that it still goes on and even is a part of the racial profiling.
(11-04-2015, 11:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Body cams and dash cams will clear a lot more cops than they catch doing wrong.

LMAO
(11-05-2015, 02:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Racial profiling is real.  It has been proven.  As long as police departments still get busted for racial profiling minorities are going to be curious every time they come in contact with the police when they have done nothing wrong.

Seriously, how can you blame minorities for be suspicious of police when it is proven that some of them engage in racial profiling?  It is like dating a woman who has been caught cheating on you before.  She may not be cheating on you every time she does not come home when she is supposed to, but you can't help but suspect that she might be.

Because not all of them do and you have to accept that sometimes, YOU (the minority being stopped) might actually have done something that requires a stop....like walking in the street, on the wrong side with two perfectly good sidewalks on either side of you after nearly getting hit but not noticing it because you have your headphones in. 

It's hard to take real cases seriously when clowns like this lady muddle it up to where any interaction with police is immediately racist. 
(11-05-2015, 03:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because not all of them do and you have to accept that sometimes, YOU (the minority being stopped) might actually have done something that requires a stop....like walking in the street, on the wrong side with two perfectly good sidewalks on either side of you after nearly getting hit but not noticing it because you have your headphones in. 

It's hard to take real cases seriously when clowns like this lady muddle it up to where any interaction with police is immediately racist. 

Even though these cops seemed to be very professional I don't see the need to demand id when just giving a person a safety warning about walking in the street.  I think that was the problem the lady had.
(11-05-2015, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even though these cops seemed to be very professional I don't see the need to demand id when just giving a person a safety warning about walking in the street.  I think that was the problem the lady had.

I can't say I've had a lot of run ins with the police in my life, but I must say each time, the very first thing they asked for was some form of ID.

It seems very routine to ask for that no matter the issue.
(11-05-2015, 07:02 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I can't say I've had a lot of run ins with the police in my life, but I must say each time, the very first thing they asked for was some form of ID.

It seems very routine to ask for that no matter the issue.

Yep

(11-05-2015, 09:52 AM)djs7685 Wrote:  I guess I look a little "middle eastern" according to some buddies of mine, so I guess I could have been somewhat profiled as well,

Generally police do not take the time tyo run someones ID if they are just giving them a safety warning.

The officer in this case seemed very professional, but I assume the only reason he asked for her ID was to see if she lived in that neighborhood.  if it was a mostly white neighborhood and the lady was white he might not have asked.  We don't know for sure, but as I said before, it is like dating a woman who has cheated on you in the past, you will always be more suspicious because of what has happened before.
(11-05-2015, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even though these cops seemed to be very professional I don't see the need to demand id when just giving a person a safety warning about walking in the street.  I think that was the problem the lady had.

You don't see the need to ask for ID when you stop someone for a violation?

Especially if you are training a new person?

The lady had a problem with one thing: she was stopped.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-05-2015, 08:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You don't see the need to ask for ID when you stop someone for a violation?

There was no violation of any kind.
(11-06-2015, 01:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There was no violation of any kind.

You are bad at this "law" thing.
She obstructed traffic. 
That's against the law. She put herself and drivers in danger. 

How is that NOT a violation? 
So no one else thinks exercising like a 1990's soccer mom might make police think you're on drugs?

This is true, but it still doesn't mean you should berate the cop or mistreat him or her with a huge lack of respect. 

If a cop pulls you over for "driving while black." Reman calm and respectful and the only things you'll suffer are a little bit of wasted time and probably some minor negative psychological effects which is better than a possible beat down and time in handcuffs and possibly prison time (even if it's just a holding cell) and a court date.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(11-06-2015, 08:56 AM)PhilHos Wrote: This is true, but it still doesn't mean you should berate the cop or mistreat him or her with a huge lack of respect. 

If a cop pulls you over for "driving while black." Reman calm and respectful and the only things you'll suffer are a little bit of wasted time and probably some minor negative psychological effects which is better than a possible beat down and time in handcuffs and possibly prison time (even if it's just a holding cell) and a court date.

Its just sad that the answer to being racially profiled is shut up and take it so you don't get a beat down or a trumped up charge.

In 2015.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-06-2015, 09:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: Its just sad that the answer to being racially profiled is shut up and take it so you don't get a beat down or a trumped up charge.

In 2015.

I have to agree, here. I mean, if Phil had finished that up with saying they should file a complaint after the fact, it's one thing. Because I'm all about being respectful, taking down the cop's information, and filing a report. But no one should have to put up with that bullshit.
(11-06-2015, 01:41 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You are bad at this "law" thing.
She obstructed traffic. 
That's against the law. She put herself and drivers in danger. 

How is that NOT a violation? 

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-columns/20151028-dorothy-bland-i-was-caught-walking-while-black.ece#commentsDiv

Quote:My officers, a field training officer and his recruit, observed Ms. Bland walking in the roadway wearing earbuds and unaware that there was a pickup truck directly behind her that had to almost come to a complete stop to avoid hitting her.

The driver of the truck looked at the officers as they passed and held his hands in the air, which implied “aren’t you going to do something about this?” The officers turned around and drove behind Ms. Bland.

They activated their in-car video camera, which shows her again walking in the roadway impeding traffic. They activated their emergency lights — no siren was ever sounded — they exited their patrol vehicle and contacted Ms. Bland.
They immediately advised Ms. Bland about the pickup truck and the fact that it was safer for her to walk against traffic so she could see the cars and jump out of the way if necessary. The interaction between Ms. Bland and the officers was very cordial and brief.

Ms. Bland had been observed earlier by these same officers, but she was not in the street and impeding traffic, so she was not contacted.

Impeding traffic is a Class C misdemeanor, and it is our policy to ask for identification from people we encounter for this type violation. I am surprised by her comments as this was not a confrontational encounter but a display of professionalism and genuine concern for her safety.

She clearly over-reacted.  I just think the idea of having to produce ID for it is silly.  Tell them to get on the sidewalk and move along. 
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-06-2015, 10:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-columns/20151028-dorothy-bland-i-was-caught-walking-while-black.ece#commentsDiv

She clearly over-reacted.  I just think the idea of having to produce ID for it is silly.  Tell them to get on the sidewalk and move along. 

Every single person that I've ever been around or have heard of or have seen anywhere that had a police officer confront them, identification was almost always the very first thing asked for, and I've never seen an instance where they didn't ask for ID at all no matter what the incident happened to be.

I don't understand what the big deal is here. Yes, they could have just told her to get on the sidewalk and that's that, but seriously, what's so wrong with asking for ID? It's very typical for police officers to ask for that, it's not like they asked for anything out of the ordinary.
If the police establish contact with you they will want to confirm your identity. There are several reasons for this. If you're stopped for an infraction the police will run your name to see if you have any active warrants. Often, if not frequently, the police will let you go after establishing your identity and the fact that there are no warrants for your arrests. That is, if you're polite, not obsequious, mind you, just polite. You be very surprised at the number of felony warrants encountered by police during routine interactions.