Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi Sucks
(08-13-2017, 02:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No, he didn't suck. 

I got tired of waiting for Game Pass so i went and found the game on youtube and watched all offensive plays, Og only. I graded him with a Win, Loss or Tie on run and pass plays. 

Running game, Win is taking his man out of the play, Loss is getting beat and his man making the tackle, Tie is basically, the run going the other way. 
Pass game, Win is keeping his man completely away from the QB, Loss is getting beat for a sack or pressure, Tie is holding his man out long enough for the QB to go through his natural progression and throwing motion. 

He was definitely helped by the quick passing, but still whiffed a couple times giving up pressure even with that. I will go as far as to say he mauled fools in the run game. 

One thing i didn't see was a guy that was lazy or didn't seem to care. Not even close to that on any of the plays. Another thing i didn't see is a guy that has the bust label as a possibility. What i did see was a guy that needs to work on his feet still. And he needs some confidence in his technique, which can only come with more  and more positive reps. 

All that said, the first capital letter is W, L or T for Win Loss or Tie. The second lower case letter is r or p for Run or Pass. I added in a couple notes here and there. Feel free to watch the game and agree or disagree. This is in order, from his first snap to his last. 

1st series
-----------
Wr
Tp
Wr
Wr
Wr
Tp
Lr whiff
Tp
Tp
Lr  on 2nd level block
Wr
Tp

2nd series
------------
Wr on the 2nd level
Lp pressure
Wp
Wp
Lp got beat but it was a quick pass and pressure didn't effect QB
Wr
Tr
Tp

3rd series
------------
Wr on the 2nd level
Wr
Lp pressure on quick pass again
Tr his guy was 2nd in on the tackle
Wp
Wp

Run game, 13 snaps-- 9 W, 2 T, 2 L
Pass game, 13 snaps-- 4 W, 6 T, 3 L

There's my personal game grade. I'd give him a B, mostly on his run blocking. Good effort but needs work on the passpro. Again, the grade was greatly helped by the quick passes by both QBs. 

I don't think he's lazy....but what I think people see, and I sometimes see, is when he whiffs a block, he just stands there and watches. Hit some damn body dude....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 04:16 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I don't think he's lazy....but what I think people see, and I sometimes see, is when he whiffs a block, he just stands there and watches. Hit some damn body dude....lol.

I feel the same about Russell Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 04:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't think he's lazy....but what I think people see, and I sometimes see, is when he whiffs a block, he just stands there and watches. Hit some damn body dude....lol.

(08-13-2017, 09:35 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I feel the same about Russell Bodine.

To be fair...on those plays where they're beat, it's usually fractions of a second before the QB or RB is hit. There's really not that much time to react to hit someone...and in most cases, esp with a T,  there's no one around him to hit. 

They do stand there looking like a deer in the headlights, but i think it's just a natural reaction on a split second play. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:37 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You beat me to it. Preseason game one. Basically a glorified practice for the #1s. Execute the vanilla plays that are called and get off the field after you get your feet wet. 

I liked the overall feel of how the game went. Definitely a good first step. Last year, the feeling wasn't good and i ignored it, thinking things would get better over time. They obviously didn't and i looked back thinking i should have trusted my gut.

It was a good start to a mostly meaningless (in the grand scheme) vanilla game. It's funny to see people going off the hook talking about all the changes that need to be made.

Come on, so many here were waiting for the preseason games to even 'MAKE' a guess at where this team would finish!

Preseason tells the coaches which 53 they keep, what their depth looks like. and where their weaknesses are.

I predicted 8-8 after the draft, and after one game, I stand by that.

My prediction may change as the preason games unfold as we will all get to see the dress rehearsal game against the Redskins, where they usually put starters out for the first half.  My 8-8 may tweak after those first 3 games, but don't come on here with that foolishness that preseason games don't mean anything.  

Yes, the SCORES don't mean anything because there are teams that have gone 0-4 in preseason and made the playoffs. (14 times).
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 11:43 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Come on, so many here were waiting for the preseason games to even 'MAKE' a guess at where this team would finish!

Preseason tells the coaches which 53 they keep, what their depth looks like. and where their weaknesses are.

I predicted 8-8 after the draft, and after one game, I stand by that.

My prediction may change as the preason games unfold as we will all get to see the dress rehearsal game against the Redskins, where they usually put starters out for the first half.  My 8-8 may tweak after those first 3 games, but don't come on here with that foolishness that preseason games don't mean anything.  

Yes, the SCORES don't mean anything because there are teams that have gone 0-4 in preseason and made the playoffs. (14 times).

The first preseason game doesn't mean anything in terms of production, on balance, because coaches aren't going to show schemes they'll employ when the season starts. 

They definitely want to see players execute the plays they call, so seeing the middle of the D wide open again is something that needs to be corrected right away. They also don't want to see WRs running all over the field, open, on man coverage (things like that). But sacks and pressures...coaches aren't going to fly off the hook in the preseason cause you're not going to see as many stunts and blitzes and disguised coverages as you'll see in the regular season. 

Preseason game 1 is for getting used to the live bullets flying and executing your assignment, albeit, mostly basic assignments.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 03:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The first preseason game doesn't mean anything in terms of production, on balance, because coaches aren't going to show schemes they'll employ when the season starts. 

They definitely want to see players execute the plays they call, so seeing the middle of the D wide open again is something that needs to be corrected right away. They also don't want to see WRs running all over the field, open, on man coverage (things like that). But sacks and pressures...coaches aren't going to fly off the hook in the preseason cause you're not going to see as many stunts and blitzes and disguised coverages as you'll see in the regular season. 

Preseason game 1 is for getting used to the live bullets flying and executing your assignment, albeit, mostly basic assignments.

What does any of this have to do with my pre-preseason prediction of 8-8 not changing after 1 game?

I predicted 8-8 before the first game, and because I didn't change it after the first game, a game that's no more than a glorified OTA exercise, I'm out of touch and claim the season is over?? 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:47 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: What does any of this have to do with my pre-preseason prediction of 8-8 not changing after 1 game?

I predicted 8-8 before the first game, and because I didn't change it after the first game, a game that's no more than a glorified OTA exercise, I'm out of touch and claim the season is over?? 

Your prediction is your prediction. Got nuthin to do with me. 

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 10:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: To be fair...on those plays where they're beat, it's usually fractions of a second before the QB or RB is hit. There's really not that much time to react to hit someone...and in most cases, esp with a T,  there's no one around him to hit. 

They do stand there looking like a deer in the headlights, but i think it's just a natural reaction on a split second play. 

A lot of times, yes....but I've seen him standing around after trailing a play, or being on the back end of the play.  as my old pee wee coach used to say..."when in doubt, hit some-damn-body!" Smirk

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: A lot of times, yes....but I've seen him standing around after trailing a play, or being on the back end of the play.  as my old pee wee coach used to say..."when in doubt, hit some-damn-body!" Smirk

Great idea, but if an OL is beat, they only way to hit the guy is from behind which is illegal at every level and dirty.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great idea, but if an OL is beat, they only way to hit the guy is from behind which is illegal at every level and dirty.

LOL....I agree, but he was talking about picking up another defender that may be trailing the play....not illegal block in the back on the guy that beat you. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: A lot of times, yes....but I've seen him standing around after trailing a play, or being on the back end of the play.  as my old pee wee coach used to say..."when in doubt, hit some-damn-body!" Smirk

Ah, gotcha. 

I can't tell you how many times i've seen various linemen doing that for the Bengals and i've thought the same thing. I just throw my hands up with a look of amazement and yell..."go hit SOMEBODY!!!!"

Or when they don't carry all the way through with the block until the whistle sounds. Drives me batty.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:48 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ah, gotcha. 

I can't tell you how many times i've seen various linemen doing that for the Bengals and i've thought the same thing. I just throw my hands up with a look of amazement and yell..."go hit SOMEBODY!!!!"

Or when they don't carry all the way through with the block until the whistle sounds. Drives me batty.

Yes.....that too!

Reply/Quote
Talk about "knee jerk reaction" here... People singling out 1 play and piling on OB. Noah Spence is no slouch and they pay the man to make plays, so he made a play on OB. It's not like Whit never got beat.. The O-line did pretty well, I thought. Hopkins was impressive at RG. Fisher did pretty well also.
Willis is going to be tough to keep off the field!! Kid has amazing speed!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Talk about "knee jerk reaction" here... People singling out 1 play and piling on OB. Noah Spence is no slouch and they pay the man to make plays, so he made a play on OB. It's not like Whit never got beat..  The O-line did pretty well, I thought. Hopkins was impressive at RG. Fisher did pretty well also.

But it's plays like that that people will always remember. Ogbuehi could have played well on every other play besides that and the only one people will remember is the utter whiff.
Hopefully we see improvement by the last preseason game. If not, there are going to be some big sacks coming for Dalton.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The problem with trying to judge pass protection from that game is pretty much every pass play was three step drop whip it out as fast as possible. No plays taking even a little longer to develop were even tried. We need to call a few of those to really tell if the line is closer to competent.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Talk about "knee jerk reaction" here... People singling out 1 play and piling on OB. Noah Spence is no slouch and they pay the man to make plays, so he made a play on OB. It's not like Whit never got beat..  The O-line did pretty well, I thought. Hopkins was impressive at RG. Fisher did pretty well also.

It was not just one play. I went back and watched it with a fine comb (thanks YouTube streamer) and he got beat a couple more times but Dalton got the ball off In .25 seconds so it didn't end up a bad play.  He was not that great at all and definitely did not play like a starting left tackle should. He got beat on every series he played in. 

Please stop comparing OB to whit. They are not even close to being comparable.  Well, unless you are contrasting one of the worst bengals lineman with one of the best. 
Reply/Quote