Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Market Officially Dry
Andrews returns to Patriots on 4 year deal.

Price it is as the likely started to start the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
This is pretty funny coming from the same guy who just yesterday said that their were no options at all available to upgrade our O-line other than the draft.

Shouldn't you be working on some spin to squeal and cry about the Bengals signing Reiff?
Reply/Quote
I have been looking at the Oklahoma Center, Creed Humphrey. I think he could come in and compete with Price to start at Center right away and then, when Hopkins comes back, we can discuss Humphrey either moving to guard or maybe becoming the back up or maybe keeping the job, depending on how well he plays. I think we could get him in the 2nd round, perhaps the 3rd if we get lucky. I think he'd be a solid upgrade over Price.
Reply/Quote
You can find a center in the 3rd in the draft that can conceivably start day 1 if Hopkins isn't ready, or at least can be competition for Price. I always figured, similar to TE, we would get one and see if they can be the answer after this coming season.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is pretty funny coming from the same guy who just yesterday said that their were no options at all available to upgrade our O-line other than the draft.

Shouldn't you be working on some spin to squeal and cry about the Bengals signing Reiff?

Is this take a little too hot?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have been looking at the Oklahoma Center, Creed Humphrey. I think he could come in and compete with Price to start at Center right away and then, when Hopkins comes back, we can discuss Humphrey either moving to guard or maybe becoming the back up or maybe keeping the job, depending on how well he plays. I think we could get him in the 2nd round, perhaps the 3rd if we get lucky. I think he'd be a solid upgrade over Price.

I was thinking he would be a great 3rd rounder.

At this point, the best line I see would be...

LT - 1 of the top 3 tackles in draft (I actually like trading back a few picks and taking Darrisaw)
LG - Jonah Williams
C - Re-sign Spain
RG - XSF
RT - Reiff

^ That line would actually be very good and allow the Bengals to sign Golliday or Watkins and then take impact DL in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is pretty funny coming from the same guy who just yesterday said that their were no options at all available to upgrade our O-line other than the draft.

No one considered tackle the biggest issue with the line. The biggest issue were guard. Guard play is what shredded Burrow's knee, and yet we haven't upgraded. Are we happy to sign Reiff or are we just happy they did something (anything) with the Oline? I don't mind the signing, but I maintain Guard play was our bigger issue (and maybe even center). You should know that as you tend to pump up Hart and his "improvements" over the years.

Why do you even try me? Stepping up to the plate wobbly legged, sweaty palmed, fiddling with your notes and such. All to get pegged in the head with one of my special fast balls I save for you.

I'll give you first base out of sympathy. Because I'm not going to say anything bad about the Reiff signing, but you a post away from getting thrown out if you try to make it to 2nd on me.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: No one considered tackle the biggest issue with the line. The biggest issue were guard. Guard play is what shredded Burrow's knee, and yet we haven't upgraded. Are we happy to sign Reiff or are we just happy they did something (anything) with the Oline? I don't mind the signing, but I maintain Guard play was our bigger issue. You should know that as you tend to pump up Hart and his "improvements" over the years.

Why do you even try me? Stepping up to the plate wobbly legged, sweaty palmed, fiddling with your notes and such. All to get pegged in the head with one of my special fast balls I save for you.

I'll give you first base out of sympathy. Because I'm not going to say anything bad about the Reiff signing.

OG was definitely the biggest issue however it became "a little bit less" of an issue when Spain and XSF were playing. I think even Adeniji would've been a better OG than Jordan. 

Jim Turner cant evaluate talent. Coming into the season he had no clue who was the best fit where. His musical chairs OL was terrible. He had to sign a player he let go, Redmond, to provide anything remotely looking like an OG before anything improved. Spain was a big help mid season, and getting XSF back helped a lot which is why we looked better at the end of season ad could actually run the ball. 

But overall, Reiff is an upgrade over Hart, who has struggled since he's been here. So even though we still have need at OG, we definitely upgraded the OT position which was also needed. Now we can let Hart go. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:30 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I was thinking he would be a great 3rd rounder.

At this point, the best line I see would be...

LT - 1 of the top 3 tackles in draft (I actually like trading back a few picks and taking Darrisaw)
LG - Jonah Williams
C - Re-sign Spain
RG - XSF
RT - Reiff

^ That line would actually be very good and allow the Bengals to sign Golliday or Watkins and then take impact DL in the 2nd.

I keep reading posts on moving Williams to guard but is that a factual statement that was ever heard or even a possibilty? No guarantee he can play guard as it a different beast than tackle.   That said I like the idea of Creed as he seems to be able to do both....and well.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can find a center in the 3rd in the draft that can conceivably start day 1 if Hopkins isn't ready, or at least can be competition for Price. I always figured, similar to TE, we would get one and see if they can be the answer after this coming season.

Rams C/G Austin Blythe is still available.  69 PFF rating as their starting C last year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: No one considered tackle the biggest issue with the line. 

You were not talking about OTs.  You were talking about the entire O-line. You said there was nothing that could be done except in the draft.

So are you saying that replacing Hart with Reiff is "nothing"?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 12:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: Rams C/G Austin Blythe is still available.  69 PFF rating as their starting C last year.  

Forgot about him. Yes, he would be a good option. 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You were not talking about OTs.  You were talking about the entire O-line. You said there was nothing that could be done except in the draft.

So are you saying that replacing Hart with Reiff is "nothing"?

You'll have to ask me next offseason. Are you? I was in the belief that Hart wasn't as bad as people remember him being. And maybe having average to above average guards would help him..

Both years (2019-2020) his improvement late in the season correlated to the stabilization of guard play next to him, once we got those positions settled (late unfortunately).

Reply/Quote
Ben Garland is still available. He is 32. Allowed zero sacks and one penalty in 333 snaps last year. PFF gave him a 71.1 rating. Would be an upgrade over Billy Price. Excellent run-blocker familiar with wide zone scheme.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: You'll have to ask me next offseason. Are you? I was in the belief that Hart wasn't as bad as people remember him being. And maybe having average to above average guards would help him..

Both years (2019-2020) his improvement late in the season correlated to the stabilization of guard play next to him, once we got those positions settled (late unfortunately).

Come on now, Bobby Hart was not even close to a good player which is why they upgraded and cut the dude. 

Also I'd rather get a decent OT in free agency and work on finding a OG or 2 in the draft. Guys we all liked in Thuney, Turner, Jackson, etc were all found in the 3rd round. Whole lot easier to find quality Guards outside of the first round than it is to find an OT.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:11 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Come on now, Bobby Hart was not even close to a good player which is why they upgraded and cut the dude. 

Also I'd rather get a decent OT in free agency and work on finding a OG or 2 in the draft. Guys we all liked in Thuney, Turner, Jackson, etc were all found in the 3rd round. Whole lot easier to find quality Guards outside of the first round than it is to find an OT.

That's a big ask of faith for a rookie to guard to protect Burrow. 

I agree though you could get in mid rounds. It's just we have so many holes, you'd like to not have to used the first 3 picks or so on Oline.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 12:29 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I keep reading posts on moving Williams to guard but is that a factual statement that was ever heard or even a possibilty? No guarantee he can play guard as it a different beast than tackle.   That said I like the idea of Creed as he seems to be able to do both....and well.

2 things on that...

1: Right before the draft, no WAY the coaches are saying anything about moving Williams to G. That would dead give away what the Bengals are about to draft. The talk hyping Williams up as a LT is a smoke screen, IMO. Or, at least I hope so. Last time I looked, Jonah's PFF rating was on 4 points above Heart.

2: Moving inside a position at line is always the next EASIER step. It goes: T, G, C in terms of degree if difficulty and skill. Jonah is very athletic and would be an excellent G, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:11 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Come on now, Bobby Hart was not even close to a good player which is why they upgraded and cut the dude. 

(03-19-2021, 02:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: That's a big ask of faith for a rookie to guard to protect Burrow. 

I agree though you could get in mid rounds. It's just we have so many holes, you'd like to not have to used the first 3 picks or so on Oline.

Fun fact:

Bobby Hart PFF 66.3
Jonah Williams PFF 70.1

Oh, and Williams can't finish a season.
Reply/Quote
There will be more cuts coming. We may be able to find a C/G after the June 1st cuts.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: No one considered tackle the biggest issue with the line. The biggest issue were guard. Guard play is what shredded Burrow's knee, and yet we haven't upgraded. Are we happy to sign Reiff or are we just happy they did something (anything) with the Oline? I don't mind the signing, but I maintain Guard play was our bigger issue (and maybe even center). You should know that as you tend to pump up Hart and his "improvements" over the years.

I'll give you first base out of sympathy. Because I'm not going to say anything bad about the Reiff signing, but you a post away from getting thrown out if you try to make it to 2nd on me.

The line needs to be improved, but i felt FA at guard was a bit thin compared to tackle.. have to start somewhere besides maybe they are either high on Slater for the #5 pick or they have other ideas of moving the line.. they are not and should not be providing all that info to us or other teams.. you and I can only speculate, which means we don;t really know 
Reply/Quote