Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Market Officially Dry
(03-19-2021, 11:30 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I was thinking he would be a great 3rd rounder.

At this point, the best line I see would be...

LT - 1 of the top 3 tackles in draft (I actually like trading back a few picks and taking Darrisaw)
LG - Jonah Williams
C - Re-sign Spain
RG - XSF
RT - Reiff

^ That line would actually be very good and allow the Bengals to sign Golliday or Watkins and then take impact DL in the 2nd.

The Bengals have already said Williams is their LT, and they signed Reiff to play RT. The way I see it, if they take Sewell, it will be
LT- Jonah Williams
LG-Penei Sewell
C-Hopkins/Price (Spain has already said the only position he can't play on the line is center)
RG-XFS
RT-Reiff

I actually think that line would be pretty darn good. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 04:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The Bengals have already said Williams is their LT, and they signed Reiff to play RT. The way I see it, if they take Sewell, it will be
LT- Jonah Williams
LG-Penei Sewell
C-Hopkins/Price (Spain has already said the only position he can't play on the line is center)
RG-XFS
RT-Reiff

I actually think that line would be pretty darn good. 

Why would the Bengals announce making Jonah before the draft,  basically letting everyone know what they are going to pick?

Jonah Williams graded 3.5 points higher at LT than Heart, whom the Bengals just cut. He isn't good at all.

Besides that, if Jonah Williams came out in this year's draft class, he would probably be the 4th or 5th guy taken at LT. Sewell is already MUCH MUCH better than Williams. Not even close. So are Slater & Darrisaw. That isn't even in question.

Not only that, but Williams is smaller than all 3 of those guys. Certainly much smaller than Sewell and Darrisaw.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 03:13 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Fun fact:

Bobby Heart PFF 66.3
Jonah Williams PFF 70.1

Oh, and Williams can't finish a season.

So Jonah and Reiff are both better than Hart, the team got better by replacing Hart. 

Hart has played pretty bad for years, the new oline coach that previously coached him came in and immediately replaced him. PFF can grade him however they want but I don't want Bobby Hart protecting Burrow and it seems the coaching staff doesn't either.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:18 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: So Jonah and Reiff are both better than Hart, the team got better by replacing Hart. 

Hart has played pretty bad for years, the new oline coach that previously coached him came in and immediately replaced him. PFF can grade him however they want but I don't want Bobby Hart protecting Burrow and it seems the coaching staff doesn't either.

Better by teeny tiny increments and, in some ways, not even that. Are these differences making the Bengals significantly better? No.

The problem is that teams like the Ravens & Cheifs, already dominating the Bengals based on the scoreboard, saw fit to spend more money to significantly upgrade positions where they were already stronger than the Bengals... like Guard. The Bengals, instead of beating them to the punch with that and getting a lot better, chose to replace guys with players who are barely, like, 5% better. The differences between the Raven/Cheifs and Bengals is far greater than 5%.... and those 2 teams ADDED MAJOR TALENT.

This off-season showed us how out of touch and disconnect the Bengals are compared to perennial powerhouses.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:40 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Better by teeny tiny increments and, in some ways, not even that. Are these differences making the Bengals significantly better? No.

The problem is that teams like the Ravens & Cheifs, already dominating the Bengals based on the scoreboard, saw fit to spend more money to significantly upgrade positions where they were already stronger than the Bengals... like Guard. The Bengals, instead of beating them to the punch with that and getting a lot better, chose to replace guys with players who are barely, like, 5% better. The differences between the Raven/Cheifs and Bengals is far greater than 5%.... and those 2 teams ADDED MAJOR TALENT.

This off-season showed us how out of touch and disconnect the Bengals are compared to perennial powerhouses.

KC released both of their starting T's, one an All Pro and the other a Pro Bowler, and signed an All Pro G.  I fail to see how that makes them significantly better.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: KC released both of their starting T's, one an All Pro and the other a Pro Bowler, and signed an All Pro G.  I fail to see how that makes them significantly better.

You do not understand PDub logic.

"Whatever the Bengals do sucks.  Whatever other teams do is awesome."

Why not ask him which DT that Ogunjobi is replacing was 95% as good as him?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have been looking at the Oklahoma Center, Creed Humphrey. I think he could come in and compete with Price to start at Center right away and then, when Hopkins comes back, we can discuss Humphrey either moving to guard or maybe becoming the back up or maybe keeping the job, depending on how well he plays. I think we could get him in the 2nd round, perhaps the 3rd if we get lucky. I think he'd be a solid upgrade over Price.

Humphrey will be gone in the 2nd round and YES I would start him over Price from day 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: KC released both of their starting T's, one an All Pro and the other a Pro Bowler, and signed an All Pro G.  I fail to see how that makes them significantly better.

(03-19-2021, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do not understand PDub logic.

One of the Tackles has significant back injury issues and the other tore his achilles in the 2nd to last game of last season. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and are so nanged up, no one has signed them thus far in a FA period that has seen a massive run on O line talent.

Neither of those tackles released was going to play this season or could be relied on. knowing this, the Cheifs went and dropped a ton of money on the premier lineman in this FA period.

^ That is what happened. That is PDub logic..... And, you're right, Fred. You are incapable of understanding. I compliment the Bengals all the time when warranted. I am on their butts when warranted. I started a thread pointing out that people give the offseason time to develop, yet your dumb ass just bypasses that. Not enough combat in it for you? Is it Friday already? About time for you - a grown man - to catch another ban hammer, eh?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can find a center in the 3rd in the draft that can conceivably start day 1 if Hopkins isn't ready, or at least can be competition for Price. I always figured, similar to TE, we would get one and see if they can be the answer after this coming season.

Four years ago we tried to get a center in round one.  He couldn't start.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:08 PM)Yogo Wrote: Four years ago we tried to get a center in round one.  He couldn't start.

He was overrated as all get out tooSmirk
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:40 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Better by teeny tiny increments and, in some ways, not even that. Are these differences making the Bengals significantly better? No.

The player has to WANT to come here...I am so tired of this argument....I do not care about his sister's twitter account or him being from Dayton...We made an offer and the Chiefs (2 SBs in the last 2 years and a Championship) made a ridiculous offer and he took it.  He got insane money to go to one of the top 3 teams in the NFL.  FA is a two way deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 11:41 AM)spazz70 Wrote: The player has to WANT to come here...I am so tired of this argument....I do not care about his sister's twitter account or him being from Dayton...We made an offer and the Chiefs (2 SBs in the last 2 years and a Championship) made a ridiculous offer and he took it.  He got insane money to go to one of the top 3 teams in the NFL.  FA is a two way deal.

That is just 1 guy. Why on Earth do you point to just 1 example when they allowed many to slip through their fingers while they were busy signing CBs? FA is more than just 1 guy. No one should be angry at Thuney or the Bengals. But a lot of other strong O Linemen are being signed or traded (for a song) and the Bengals, instead of trading a 5th for a very good G from the Raiders (and his $10m salary), sit and wait for what? The last major upgrade, Larry Worford, will probably cost much more. The Bengals wish to turn to the draft? OK, that is fine, but this is getting back to HOPE IS NOT A PLAN. How has HOPE worked out as far as O-Linemen are concerned the last 6 drafts? It's worked out well for Joey B's surgeon and absolutely NO ONE ELSE.

Which leads me to ask: What was learned from the colossal failure last offseason to put proven OL talent around Burrow, after what happened last season... after EVERYONE BUT the Bengals saw that pitch coming? Egregious.

That doesn't mean the line cannot be fixed between now and the season.... but the Bengals have to be on plan Q at this point. Like, they are running out of letters to proceed on to.

Listen, I am not saying I hate plan Q. I actually would be a huge fan of drafting a monster LT in 1 or 2 & moving Williams to LG. That would actually be a major upgrade. Hell, they can still take Chase AND snag Leatherwood in the 2nd. THAT, as a plan Q, I can get behind.

What has me nervous for Joey B is that the Bengals had obviously seen the market going a certain way and then got absolutely dusted. That is what I meant by out of touch.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 11:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have been looking at the Oklahoma Center, Creed Humphrey. I think he could come in and compete with Price to start at Center right away and then, when Hopkins comes back, we can discuss Humphrey either moving to guard or maybe becoming the back up or maybe keeping the job, depending on how well he plays. I think we could get him in the 2nd round, perhaps the 3rd if we get lucky. I think he'd be a solid upgrade over Price.

Down with Creed in the 2nd and then a Tackle like Spencer Brown in the 4th to learn from Reiff.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do not understand PDub logic.

Maybe I have him confused with someone else, but isn't Pdub80 one of the boards more "team friendly" and positive posters?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 04:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Maybe I have him confused with someone else, but isn't Pdub80 one of the boards more "team friendly" and positive posters?

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Reply/Quote