Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes!!!
No, these aren't happening, but here is a short list I would like to see made (that are realistic....sure, I would like to see Gronk here, but it isn't happening) this season to attempt to change the direction and production of this team:

1.) Vigil- Let him be the WILL in base with Burfict at MIKE and Vinny Rey at SAM.  Let him begin to get snaps in nickel with Burfict.

2.) Core, Boyd- More three receiver sets.  Boyd needs to get involved early in the slot.  Core needs to attempt to take the top of the defense.  Run some 9 routes with him.  Rotate him in to force the defense to cover him deep.  If he is singled, take a few shots.  I don't like the Ratbirds, but I always respected their goal of taking so many deep shots each game.  They have Steve Smith, Sr, and in his prime, he was an amazing deep ball tracker.

3.) Kroft, Uzo- Until Eifert returns, I want both of these guys on the field at the same time.  Weapons.  If they aren't in 3 WR sets, they need to be in two TE, two WR, single back sets.  Either one or both can stay in to block, or one can slide out in a pattern.  If forces defenses to be aware of both of them.  The extra TE (Fisher) generates no fear in any way and telegraphs the running play

4.) Tempo- The first few series should be scripted anyways, but I want Dalton able to go no-huddle and attack defenses without time to read and diagnose.  

5.) Blitz- I understand that Paulie's defense is predicated on pressure from the front four...it isn't really happening.  I would like to see a safety blitz, CB blitz, LB blitz at least a couple times a game...just to try and create a turnover or at the very least, a turnover on downs.  When a QB is sacked for a significant loss, the % of drives that end in a punt is pretty high.  

6.) Clarke-  Needs to be rotating with MJ at least 50% of the time.  Not only do I think he is better now, but this could help MJ stay fresh...he looks, well, worn down.  

7.)  TE Screen-  I saved the best for last.  Run it, and run it to both sides with both TEs.

Yours?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Promote Shaw and/or Dennard. Kirk cant keep up with starting wideouts unless he gets a few penalties. He looks a lot worse then Hall or Joseph when they were young CBs. We have 3 potential starters at CB behind him in WJ3, Shaw and Dennard there's no reason to continue on.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 11:15 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Promote Shaw and/or Dennard. Kirk cant keep up with starting wideouts unless he gets a few penalties. He looks a lot worse then Hall or Joseph when they were young CBs. We have 3 potential starters at CB behind him in WJ3, Shaw and Dennard there's no reason to continue on.

Shaw should be starting.. idk about Dennard tho...
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 11:15 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Promote Shaw and/or Dennard. Kirk cant keep up with starting wideouts unless he gets a few penalties. He looks a lot worse then Hall or Joseph when they were young CBs. We have 3 potential starters at CB behind him in WJ3, Shaw and Dennard there's no reason to continue on.

WJ3 is on IR, Dennard has has had trouble staying healthy and his play has been mediocre at best when he is. Shaw has been solid but seems like teams have started targeting him recently. Like it or not Kirk is our best option at the moment. If he ever learns to get his head around he'll lead the league in ints. 

That said I have high hopes for WJ3 next year, we just aren't going to do any better than Kirk at this time. Plus we have far bigger issues like o line and d line to worry about. If the d line steps up our secondary play will as well. If our o line steps up we might be able to win a game
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 12:05 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: WJ3 is on IR, Dennard has has had trouble staying healthy and his play has been mediocre at best when he is. Shaw has been solid but seems like teams have started targeting him recently. Like it or not Kirk is our best option at the moment. If he ever learns to get his head around he'll lead the league in ints. 

That said I have high hopes for WJ3 next year, we just aren't going to do any better than Kirk at this time. Plus we have far bigger issues like o line and d line to worry about. If the d line steps up our secondary play will as well. If our o line steps up we might be able to win a game

Not for the big picture. Right now Kirk is potentially playing his last year here and it's clear at this point he shouldn't be the guy moving forward. Right now we have Shaw and Dennard playing behind Kirk and both of them look like they could be better then Kirk if they were given a shot. Then we have a first round pick sitting 3rd in line behind Dre in WJ3. Why wait so long to figure out what you have when one of those 3 guys could help your team in a big way? If this team can somehow pull enough wins out to make the playoffs it's not gonna hinge on Kirk it's gonna be in spite of him.
Reply/Quote
Of the list composed by the OP, I feel like #4 is the one that would make the most immediate and dramatic impact.

If they can find an offensive personnel group that allows them to run a significant portion of the playbook, without any substitutions, versus a defense that they can gain a favorable matchup or two on, go with it!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What an apprpriate thread title

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
Reply/Quote
Hire a different DC? Guenther is not inspiring and not helping this team achieve their potential. They are getting progressively worse under him. He inherited a great defense from Zimmer but they're getting sloppier by the game.

I would also suggest firing Paul Alexander but the second half today gave me some glimmer of hope there. And I get that Ogbuehi just isn't that good. Still, between him and Jake Fisher you'd think we'd at least have someone who could start without getting Andy killed every game. Either our recent Oline drafting hasn't been so great or the development is just too slow and not good enough. Either way this is an area of huge concern.

Reply/Quote