Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Johnson HOF class of ???
For whatever reason other players didn't get in and probably never will. So I'd love to see Chad go into the hall of fame we only have Munoz. That's a crying shame we only got one. Chad was a beast, I say let him in.
Reply/Quote
Kenny will get in, they can only keep him out so long, his numbers speak for themselves. Ken Riley should be in. Tim Krumrie should be in. Max Montoya should be in. Isaac Curtis should be in. Willie Anderson maybe. There's little doubt AJ Green will be a first ballot entrant. Dalton is working on being a lock as well with his record setting pace. I don't think Big Anthony will be alone much longer......
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Chad was good, really good.  But, I don't believe that he is quite HOF worthy.  Had he kept his nose to the grind, and not gotten captivated with being Ocho, maybe things would have turned out differently..

I agree to a point. I would say very good receiver, but not a HOF receiver. However, I think he has a better chance of making it because of the way he made himself "a brand." There are a lot of guys in the HOF not because of what they did between the lines, but because they are famous. It stinks, because it should be about what you did on the field and deserving players based on what they did on the field get left out in favor of "celebrities" like Chad. Time will tell if he marketed himself well enough to get votes that should go to better players. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
While we're on the subject of the Hall of Fame, I think it's time to ask ourselves not only why there is only one Cincinnati Bengal in the Hall of Fame but why more Bengal greats aren't even considered for induction in the first place.  The first question is easily answered:  Anthony Munoz was the greatest left tackle the game has ever seen -- or will ever see.  He could not be denied.

Now for the second question:  Why aren't more Bengals considered?  The answer, I believe, goes all the way back to 1963 before the Cincinnati Bengals even existed.  Paul Brown became a Hall of Fame inductee as a coach -- but that was based on his stellar record with the Cleveland Browns where he innovated all the cool stuff we see in the modern game today.  Back in 1963, Art Modell, the owner/dictator/grand poohbah of the Cleveland Browns, summarily fired Paul Brown, the best coach in NFL history to that point,*  ostensibly because Paul was alleged to want more day to day control over the team.  I can see the other NFL owners of the time pressuring Modell to fire Brown because if Cleveland's coach became too powerful, maybe other coaches would feel emboldened to make some power moves too.   

When Paul Brown agreed to coach -- and own -- the Bengals in 1968, he got everything he wanted and more:  Complete control over the team to include drafting, personnel, salary negotiation, and more.  The NFL owners were highly upset about this and they couldn't do jack squat about it because Bengals originally entered competition as an expansion team in the other league:  The AFL.  The NFL owners were in a situation best described by the great philosopher M.C. Hammer:  "Can't Touch This."  Compounding the NFL owners' frustration over having Paul Brown back in football was the impending AFL-NFL merger planned for 1970; between the 1966-67 and 1969-70 seasons the only NFL/AFL interleague play was in the Super Bowl itself.

Paul Brown took the Bengals' job on one condition:  The Bengals would become an NFL franchise after the merger along with Buffalo, Oakland, Kansas City, the New York Jets, and the then-Boston Patriots.  The NFL owners screamed in protest but Paul quoted chapter and verse from the original merger documents from 1966 -- before the Bengals existed -- that by 1970 all AFL teams -- including expansion franchises -- would merge under the auspices of the NFL.  Paul also eventually succeeded in making sure the Bengals would be placed in the same Conference and the same Division as the Cleveland Browns.  It was  deeply personal:  Brown wanted to punish Art Modell by beating the Browns as often as possible and I can't blame him one bit.

The Bengals were by any measure a huge success from the moment Paul Brown took over in 1968 until his death in 1991 with ten playoff appearances with two of those years yielding AFC Championships and Super Bowl appearances.

Suffice it to say, the NFL still hates Paul Brown for getting his way, for paving the way for coaches to assume greater roles within franchise structures, and for not staying fired like a good little minion.  For this reason, I sincerely believe, Paul Brown will forever be punished by the NFL and denying Bengal greats Hall of Fame consideration is the most publicly humiliating way to accomplish this.  Against the most despicable, self-reserving, and unforgiving organization in the world next to la cosa nostra -- the NFL -- Paul won and rubbed their noses in it by creating another championship team in Cincinnati. 

The NFL still hates the Cincinnati Bengals for this reason among others.  The other owners hate Mike Brown because he is Paul's son and because he votes his conscience in owners' meetings.  For this reason I have come to admire and respect Mike Brown:  He will extend the proverbial middle finger to the rest of the league because he won't surrender to political correctness nor will he cede control of the league to the owners of the big market teams.  He's a chip off the old block in that respect and I'm happy about this. 

The Hall of Fame is great and yes, there should be more Bengals in it but those of us in Bengaldom know in our hearts and minds that many who played in Cincinnati are Hall of Famers in pectore** like Kenny Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Tim Krumrie, Bill Bergey, Ken Riley, Lemar Parrish, Max Montoya, Joe Walter, Bob Trumpy, Willie Anderson, Reggie Williams, Blair Bush, James Brooks, Horst Muhlmann, David Fulcher, and many more.   

It's the Bengals against the world; I know what side I'm on.

*Sorry Vince Lombardi; Paul Brown won far more championships than you!

*An Italian term meaning "known to us alone."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No way he gets in, but the NFL hall of fame is a complete joke anyway. How Kenny is not even considered is shameful. Nothing but a lousy popularity contest.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:49 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I'd be beyond shocked Kenny deserves it before ocho but he did create a generation of endzone celebrations and led the AFC like what 4 years in a row in yards

I think Kenny is to the point he has to be a senior pick now.

For chad maybe not this year TO is also nominated and his career stats >>> chads
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Chad was good, really good.  But, I don't believe that he is quite HOF worthy.  Had he kept his nose to the grind, and not gotten captivated with being Ocho, maybe things would have turned out differently..

This.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
I love me some Chad Johnson.

Child please.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
See I dont think Kenny was a HoF qb. He had one really great year, then bunch of decent ones with bunch of not so good ones. That said, when I see other qbs they put in the hall and stack them against Kenny, he should have a shot based on that. But just on that imo.

Now Chad, as much I liked him when he was here and had some great seasons for us, I dont see him getting in. His numbers just arent there career wise. And there are quite a few receivers that played during his time and playing now that put up better numbers, which is pretty big for a receiver.

Career:
35th yds/g
35th recs
33rd yards
45th rec tds
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_td_career.htm
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
There is no question in my mind that he gets in.

You can talk about no rings and all that, but last time I checked, the Hall of Fame is an individual honor. Throw in the fact that he was constantly competing in an era with Manning's Colts and Brady's Patriots makes that ring argument go away.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 02:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: See I dont think Kenny was a HoF qb. He had one really great year, then bunch of decent ones with bunch of not so good ones. That said, when I see other qbs they put in the hall and stack them against Kenny, he should have a shot based on that. But just on that imo.

Now Chad, as much I liked him when he was here and had some great seasons for us, I dont see him getting in. His numbers just arent there career wise. And there are quite a few receivers that played during his time and playing now that put up better numbers, which is pretty big for a receiver.

Career:
35th yds/g
35th recs
33rd yards
45th rec tds
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_td_career.htm

Have to go a long ways down the list to find Lynn Swan - hall of famer. 

I don't think Chad gets in for a couple years, but there is no doubt he was one of the best WRs of his generation.
Reply/Quote
Well he was definitely well on his way. Unfortunately the "Ocho" persona devoured Chad Johnson and pretty much detonated his career and production to smithereens due to hyper self-adulation. A shame really because I loved 85 when he was at his height here.

Now the only way he gets in is if he buys a ticket like the rest of us.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 02:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Have to go a long ways down the list to find Lynn Swan - hall of famer. 

I don't think Chad gets in for a couple years, but there is no doubt he was one of the best WRs of his generation.

Lynn Swann was in a whole different era many years before it became more of a passing league. Chad was on his way for sure, but then just fell off towards the end. And at this point he has some competition to get the nod. If there was an AFC HoF, then he should get in that. And he should be first ballot for Bengals ROH. Im just not sold he should be up in Canton just yet.

Question for everyone: Brandon Marshall has better career numbers after 10 years right now compared to Chad's 10 years, but does anyone see him as a Hall of Famer?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Chad was really good, but only for a short time, and not HOF worthy.

He only played 11 seasons, and in those 11 seasons he. . .

Never ranked higher than 4th in td receptions and only finished in the top ten 3 times.

Never ranked higher than 3rd in receptions and only finished in the top ten 3 times.

Never ranked higher then 4th in average yards per reception and only finished in the top ten one time.

He did lead the league in yards one time, but only finished in the top ten 5 times.

I am not a Chad hater. But he did not have a Hall of Fame career.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 03:22 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Lynn Swann was in a whole different era many years before it became more of a passing league.

True, but even when you compare his numbers to the other receivers in his era it is clear than Swann does not belong in the Hall of Fame.  He lead the league in receiving tds one time, but other than that he...

Only finished ion the top 10 in receptions twice, receiving yardage 3 times, and tds 2 times.

His career high for yards in a season was 880, and he only had one other season where he had over 800 receiving yards
Reply/Quote
No he will not get in because lack of TDs and post season success.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 10:08 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While we're on the subject of the Hall of Fame, I think it's time to ask ourselves not only why there is only one Cincinnati Bengal in the Hall of Fame but why more Bengal greats aren't even considered for induction in the first place.  The first question is easily answered:  Anthony Munoz was the greatest left tackle the game has ever seen -- or will ever see.  He could not be denied.

Now for the second question:  Why aren't more Bengals considered?  The answer, I believe, goes all the way back to 1963 before the Cincinnati Bengals even existed.  Paul Brown became a Hall of Fame inductee as a coach -- but that was based on his stellar record with the Cleveland Browns where he innovated all the cool stuff we see in the modern game today.  Back in 1963, Art Modell, the owner/dictator/grand poohbah of the Cleveland Browns, summarily fired Paul Brown, the best coach in NFL history to that point,*  ostensibly because Paul was alleged to want more day to day control over the team.  I can see the other NFL owners of the time pressuring Modell to fire Brown because if Cleveland's coach became too powerful, maybe other coaches would feel emboldened to make some power moves too.   

When Paul Brown agreed to coach -- and own -- the Bengals in 1968, he got everything he wanted and more:  Complete control over the team to include drafting, personnel, salary negotiation, and more.  The NFL owners were highly upset about this and they couldn't do jack squat about it because Bengals originally entered competition as an expansion team in the other league:  The AFL.  The NFL owners were in a situation best described by the great philosopher M.C. Hammer:  "Can't Touch This."  Compounding the NFL owners' frustration over having Paul Brown back in football was the impending AFL-NFL merger planned for 1970; between the 1966-67 and 1969-70 seasons the only NFL/AFL interleague play was in the Super Bowl itself.

Paul Brown took the Bengals' job on one condition:  The Bengals would become an NFL franchise after the merger along with Buffalo, Oakland, Kansas City, the New York Jets, and the then-Boston Patriots.  The NFL owners screamed in protest but Paul quoted chapter and verse from the original merger documents from 1966 -- before the Bengals existed -- that by 1970 all AFL teams -- including expansion franchises -- would merge under the auspices of the NFL.  Paul also eventually succeeded in making sure the Bengals would be placed in the same Conference and the same Division as the Cleveland Browns.  It was  deeply personal:  Brown wanted to punish Art Modell by beating the Browns as often as possible and I can't blame him one bit.

The Bengals were by any measure a huge success from the moment Paul Brown took over in 1968 until his death in 1991 with ten playoff appearances with two of those years yielding AFC Championships and Super Bowl appearances.

Suffice it to say, the NFL still hates Paul Brown for getting his way, for paving the way for coaches to assume greater roles within franchise structures, and for not staying fired like a good little minion.  For this reason, I sincerely believe, Paul Brown will forever be punished by the NFL and denying Bengal greats Hall of Fame consideration is the most publicly humiliating way to accomplish this.  Against the most despicable, self-reserving, and unforgiving organization in the world next to la cosa nostra -- the NFL -- Paul won and rubbed their noses in it by creating another championship team in Cincinnati. 

The NFL still hates the Cincinnati Bengals for this reason among others.  The other owners hate Mike Brown because he is Paul's son and because he votes his conscience in owners' meetings.  For this reason I have come to admire and respect Mike Brown:  He will extend the proverbial middle finger to the rest of the league because he won't surrender to political correctness nor will he cede control of the league to the owners of the big market teams.  He's a chip off the old block in that respect and I'm happy about this. 

The Hall of Fame is great and yes, there should be more Bengals in it but those of us in Bengaldom know in our hearts and minds that many who played in Cincinnati are Hall of Famers in pectore** like Kenny Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Tim Krumrie, Bill Bergey, Ken Riley, Lemar Parrish, Max Montoya, Joe Walter, Bob Trumpy, Willie Anderson, Reggie Williams, Blair Bush, James Brooks, Horst Muhlmann, David Fulcher, and many more.   

It's the Bengals against the world; I know what side I'm on.

*Sorry Vince Lombardi; Paul Brown won far more championships than you!

*An Italian term meaning "known to us alone."

You do know the owners and the NFL do not choose who is enshrined, correct?  The committee is made up of members of the media.
Reply/Quote
Chad belongs in the Bengals HOF if/when one ever happens.
Regarding to the NFL HOF...that's tough. If T.O. didn't get into the HOF his first go-around, Chad definitely won't.

So let's say it's year 2+...I still don't think he will.
As others have mentioned, he never won a ring. He had his antics on the field. While many people (including myself) think it brought entertainment to the game, HOF has scrooges who vote and they don't like antics like that.
Chad also only ranks 33rd on the all-time receiving yards list (11,059) and tied for 45th on the all-time receiving TDs list (67).
There are plenty of other players (even current) who exceed Chad in both of these categories and have not (yet) gotten into the HOF.

If he ever does get in, it will be a long while. But I won't hold my breath since it's becoming even more of a passing league and plenty of lesser receivers will exceed Chad's numbers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not a Chad hater.

Wut!?!?!?!
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 04:09 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You do know the owners and the NFL do not choose who is enshrined, correct?  The committee is made up of members of the media.

Yes, I do know that.  I also know the NFL strictly controls which media outlets can broadcast games and shows on pre- and post-game analysis, etc.
Reply/Quote