Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Reuter 4 Round Mock Draft and how I would have done it
On Thursday, Chad Reuter posted a 4 round NFL Mock draft:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786173/article/reuter-4round-mock-draft-top-talent-drops-with-early-qb-run

He has us taking:
Round 1: Taco Charlton DE Michigan
Round 2: Montravius Adams DT Auburn
Round 3: Damien Mama G USC
Round 4: Alex Anzalone LB Arizona
Round 4 Comp: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado

How I would have done it, based on who was available at each of our picks:

Round 1: Taco Charlton DE Michigan (I agree that, by draft time, this will be the best pick assuming the 8 he has gone are gone. His athleticism and strength, as well as his size, match what the Bengals need opposite Dunlap. This is actually my favorite pick for us at 9, assuming he performs as well at the combine as I expect him to. Basically, his only weakness is consistency and Dunlap can take him under his wing in that regard.)

Round 2: Zach Cunningham LB Vanderbilt (Okay, this should be Pat Elflein, who I'm taking in the 4th. But that's only because I have knowledge of each round in advance. If I were drafting and Elflein is available here, I take him. But, since I know he's available in the 4th, I'm cheating a little here. Cunningham is a first round talent at LB. This is an easy selection!)

Round 3: Zay Jones WR ECU (I write this knowing that this position is absurd. I don't think Zay Jones is here in the 3rd round, but if he is it's an easy pick for a speedy, reliable receiver that complements the strengths of Green and Boyd wonderfully.)

Round 4: Wayne Gallman RB Clemson (A bruising runner with good burst. Not a Leonard Fournette by any means but behind a new center and a more experienced line, I like him as a pair with Giovani Bernard. I've given up on Jeremy Hill.)

Round 4 Comp: Pat Elflein C OSU (Okay. He won't be here. And I originally had him in the Round 2, but come on. Reuters either knows something we don't or he just forgot Pat somehow. A player always slips through the cracks. If I were to take Pat in the 2nd round, where he belongs, I'd have taken a guard like Magnuson here, but since Elflein is technically available, **** it. This is the easiest pick ever. This isn't a homer pick either because I'm not an OSU fan, but Elflein is just exactly what we need at center. Strong, smart, a leader. He isn't all that agile, but you don't need that much agility in a center. I think this guy is a slam dunk for our blocking scheme.)
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 12:24 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: On Thursday, Chad Reuter posted a 4 round NFL Mock draft:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786173/article/reuter-4round-mock-draft-top-talent-drops-with-early-qb-run

He has us taking:

Round 1: Taco Charlton DE Michigan (I agree that, by draft time, this will be the best pick assuming the 8 he has gone are gone. His athleticism and strength, as well as his size, match what the Bengals need opposite Dunlap. This is actually my favorite pick for us at 9, assuming he performs as well at the combine as I expect him to. Basically, his only weakness is consistency and Dunlap can take him under his wing in that regard.)

Round 2: Zach Cunningham LB Vanderbilt (Okay, this should be Pat Elflein, who I'm taking in the 4th. But that's only because I have knowledge of each round in advance. If I were drafting and Elflein is available here, I take him. But, since I know he's available in the 4th, I'm cheating a little here. Cunningham is a first round talent at LB. This is an easy selection!)

Round 3: Zay Jones WR ECU (I write this knowing that this position is absurd. I don't think Zay Jones is here in the 3rd round, but if he is it's an easy pick for a speedy, reliable receiver that complements the strengths of Green and Boyd wonderfully.)

Round 4: Wayne Gallman RB Clemson (A bruising runner with good burst. Not a Leonard Fournette by any means but behind a new center and a more experienced line, I like him as a pair with Giovani Bernard. I've given up on Jeremy Hill.)

Round 4 Comp: Pat Elflein C OSU (Okay. He won't be here. And I originally had him in the Round 2, but come on. Reuters either knows something we don't or he just forgot Pat somehow. A player always slips through the cracks. If I were to take Pat in the 2nd round, where he belongs, I'd have taken a guard like Magnuson here, but since Elflein is technically available, **** it. This is the easiest pick ever. This isn't a homer pick either because I'm not an OSU fan, but Elflein is just exactly what we need at center. Strong, smart, a leader. He isn't all that agile, but you don't need that much agility in a center. I think this guy is a slam dunk for our blocking scheme.)

Hate the Charlton pick. The rest I really like. Charlton is a project. He had one year of production. Ur really gonna put a top 10 pick into that?  But as earlier stated the rest is good. 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 02:05 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Hate the Charlton pick. The rest I really like. Charlton is a project. He had one year of production. Ur really gonna put a top 10 pick into that?  But as earlier stated the rest is good. 

Trubisky and Hooker both have one year of production but people are willing to take them in the top 10. I like Charlton a lot, I have compared him to Dunlap a lot and I continue to stand behind that comparison.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 10:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Trubisky and Hooker both have one year of production but people are willing to take them in the top 10. I like Charlton a lot, I have compared him to Dunlap a lot and I continue to stand behind that comparison.
yeah but charlton was playing those years. 
Hooker produced as soon as he played that's my point. 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 12:24 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: On Thursday, Chad Reuter posted a 4 round NFL Mock draft:

He has us taking:

I Hate Reuter's picks.  Charlton at 9 is way too early. I just dont care that much for him. We have bigger needs in the 2nd than reaching for Adams, this guy is all over the boards. Some mocks have him a early 2nd day and others have him in the 5th and 6th. Would rather take OL or RB in the 3rd. Anzalone seems like Vigil 2.0. I will be honest about the corner, I dont know shit about him, there are about 6-7 corners that will be taken in the first alone, If we are going to take one it needs to be early. Im still expecting us to take a corner in the first as usual. I would take the following but of course it depends who Reuter still has on the board.

1. M.Williams WR- was against this idea, but the more i think about it, when Brown spends money to bring in a FA the prior year thats a sign to me that the coaches really pushed hard for help at that position till the next draft. As much as we give these coaches hell (as we should) they must know the players better than we do, I hope.

2. Z.Cunningham LB- Same reason as above. or imagine Foster in the first with this pick....LB's fixed for once.

3. T.Moton OG/OT- Depends on Zeitler and Whitt.

4. A.Shaheen TE- Eiferts always hurt, having off season surgery again. Kroft has faded away, Uzi should get more targets.

4. P.Elfein C- Agree he wont be here, but today he is.

4. J.McNichols RB- Would like Kamara or Foreman, but this guy has them both going in the 2nd. I dont think Foreman will so he would be my first choice here.

With the players Reuter has off the board this was alot harder than i thought it would be. I would like to get a pass rusher in the top 3 somewhere, i didnt see any that I care for in the 3rd or 4th. I can see Cincy drafting Tanoh Kpassagnon DE, this kid is a Marvin Lewis pick all day. It would be nice to fix the OL in FA But i can live with something like this. 
Reply/Quote

He has us taking:

I actually think Reuter's 4-round is very realistic.

Taco fits the style DE that the Bengals prefer.

I don't agree with Montravius Adams, but if the Bengals do go DT in the second, I think Carlos Watkins is a better fit. But a selection this early feels like the team is already giving up on Billings, and that's not fair. A mid-to-late round DT seems more feasible. I think an offensive weapon is more likely in the second, or another DE that can swing inside on passing downs.
You mention a center, which I think we all would LIKE to see, but I don't think it's feasible.

Damien Mama has very good size and athleticism to handle RG duties. His biggest concern is controlling his weight. If he can do that, he'd be a sound selection.

Anzalone is a LB that would fit very well with the Bengals. He can play all three positions, has range, and can cover. His biggest concern is staying healthy, but with VRey, Vigil, and Burfict all getting snaps, it should mean that Anzalone has a higher probability to stay healthy.

Awuzie is a very good CB that would provide quality depth. By selecting a CB in the middle or late rounds, it should also allow the Bengals to justify playing their 1st rounders rather than constantly having a log jam at the position with early round picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, if Eiflen is not there they better grab Jon Toth. As much as people complain about Bodine, I see no one pushing drafting a Center....
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 09:27 PM)Jpoore Wrote: yeah but charlton was playing those years. 
Hooker produced as soon as he played that's my point. 

(02-21-2017, 02:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, if Eiflen is not there they better grab Jon Toth. As much as people complain about Bodine, I see no one pushing drafting a Center....

I would be happy with Toth. Ive been picking him in almost all my mocks. I would rather get him around the 5th or a 4th comp so we can use our top picks else where cause i dont see the piano man benching his baby right away no matter what round we pick a C. If we even pick one at all. 
Reply/Quote
I love Tacos, but not the player from Michigan. Taking him anywhere in the 1st round is a reach.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 06:36 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I would be happy with Toth. Ive been picking him in almost all my mocks. I would rather get him around the 5th or a 4th comp so we can use our top picks else where cause i dont see the piano man benching his baby right away no matter what round we pick a C. If we even pick one at all. 

Have to agree, here.  At best, they will draft a guy like Toth or Fuller in 4-5 to sit behind Bodine for a year and compete for the starting job next year.  I think people underestimate just how much of a learning curve there is at C.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2017, 10:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Trubisky and Hooker both have one year of production but people are willing to take them in the top 10. I like Charlton a lot, I have compared him to Dunlap a lot and I continue to stand behind that comparison.

Well, I wouldn't draft Trubisky until the 4th round or later.

I can't think of a QB that started only one season and came out early that had any success in the NFL.  There's a reason for that.  No way I would touch him in the first round, let alone the top 10.

Hooker is a rare athlete.  I'm not sure I would take him in the top 10, but I'd think long and hard about it.  Plus, there's been a lot of underclass safties that have made it in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 02:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, I wouldn't draft Trubisky until the 4th round or later.

I can't think of a QB that started only one season and came out early that had any success in the NFL.  There's a reason for that.  No way I would touch him in the first round, let alone the top 10.

Hooker is a rare athlete.  I'm not sure I would take him in the top 10, but I'd think long and hard about it.  Plus, there's been a lot of underclass safties that have made it in the NFL.

What's your determining factor for success? The reason I ask is because Mark Sanchez only started one year at USC and was taken 5th overall in 2009. He never won a Super Bowl but he did make it to the AFC championship game with the Jets twice.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like Taco, but i would like the pick better if we traded down to around 12 or so to get him. Taco like others
have said reminds me of Dunlap as well but as others have said has only one year of real production. Had him
going to us in the 2nd a month ago.

Not against drafting another DT cause we need to get rid of Peko and Billings is coming off injury. For it but
like the CJD said would rather have a Center here like Elfein but if somehow he fell to us in the 4th and we
picked him up i would be very happy with this pick.

Like the Guard pick, who's yo Mama?

Don't know anything about Anzalone but we definately need Linebackers.

I like our CB depth if we bring back Dre and if Elfein is there you take him all day or any of the top 4 Centers.

CJD, i definately like your Mock much better. Doubt Cunningham and Elfein fall that far but would love it. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What's your determining factor for success? The reason I ask is because Mark Sanchez only started one year at USC and was taken 5th overall in 2009. He never won a Super Bowl but he did make it to the AFC championship game with the Jets twice.

My main criteria for success is quality play out of the QB.  Sure, Sanchez got them there, but a lot of that was due to one of the top defenses in the last 10 years.

How well did he do once that defense didn't perform as well as it used to?  The Jets stunk.  He stunk in Denver, Philly and Dallas.

I thought about Sanchez in relation to what I said, but I think after looking at things, it was painfully obvious that he was just a placeholder on that team.  That being said, if you want to consider him successful based on those 2 years, I wouldn't completely dismiss the argument.  I guess I would change my original thought to no QB has come out with that level of experience and had sustained success and been considered a franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: My main criteria for success is quality play out of the QB.  Sure, Sanchez got them there, but a lot of that was due to one of the top defenses in the last 10 years.

How well did he do once that defense didn't perform as well as it used to?  The Jets stunk.  He stunk in Denver, Philly and Dallas.

I thought about Sanchez in relation to what I said, but I think after looking at things, it was painfully obvious that he was just a placeholder on that team.  That being said, if you want to consider him successful based on those 2 years, I wouldn't completely dismiss the argument.  I guess I would change my original thought to no QB has come out with that level of experience and had sustained success and been considered a franchise QB.

By no means was I meaning to say I thought Sanchez was a good selection in the top 10 (or first round at all). But clearly some team thought he was, and he helped a team advance in the playoffs. While he wasn't the reason for getting that far, he also played well enough to get them there. There will be teams that think a guy like Sanchez or Alex Smith can get them into the playoffs. Whether that's the Super Bowl or not is another story.

If you're a team like the Texans or Broncos, a player like Trubisky likely isn't for you. It's pretty much conference championship game or bust. A single playoff win means nothing.
But if you're a really struggling team like the 49ers or Browns, Trubisky may seem worth it to reach your goals. Anything is better than the basement.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: By no means was I meaning to say I thought Sanchez was a good selection in the top 10 (or first round at all). But clearly some team thought he was, and he helped a team advance in the playoffs. While he wasn't the reason for getting that far, he also played well enough to get them there. There will be teams that think a guy like Sanchez or Alex Smith can get them into the playoffs. Whether that's the Super Bowl or not is another story.

If you're a team like the Texans or Broncos, a player like Trubisky likely isn't for you. It's pretty much conference championship game or bust. A single playoff win means nothing.
But if you're a really struggling team like the 49ers or Browns, Trubisky may seem worth it to reach your goals. Anything is better than the basement.

If you look at all the successful QBs in the league, they all started at least two years and played extensively in college.  The fact that almost every guy (or every one) that comes out like Trubisky seems to fail.

If you are the Browns or Niners, you better look at Kizer or Watson.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, if Eiflen is not there they better grab Jon Toth. As much as people complain about Bodine, I see no one pushing drafting a Center....

I believe that is acceptance of reality.  Much as we might want the position upgraded, ain't gonna happen.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

True, ive seen a lot of people on here early on pushing for one of the top C's but i think the harsh reality kicked in that Mikey and Co. dont see C as a position of need.
Reply/Quote
I like taco but I have a feeling he won't be impactful year one like others will. I don't like taking dt round two give me a wr ,lb, or even safety
Reply/Quote