Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chad says AJ is the best Bengals WR of all time
(11-03-2016, 07:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: AJ may very well go down as one of the best to ever play the game.  He has drastically improved upon his only weakness.....physicality.  He is becoming a brute out there. He also has a penchant for coming back to the ball more.  

Through the first years of their careers, AJ has more yards and catches than Jerry Rice. I know its a long ways off and Rice was just so damn good after his first few years in the league, but its not far fetched to think AJ could end up being the best receiver of all time. 

Hes got a great start and hes only going to get better. He also seems to stay relatively healthy every year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 01:22 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I thought that was already the only one that's retired? I guess it's "unofficially" retired cuz no one ever wears it.

Either way, I agree with you. 78 should be first, although there's at least 5 numbers that should already be retired if Brown had any sense.

54 is our only retired number. Munoz is the only other one that deserves it IMO.

Others should be given with respect or earned. For instance if you are a Bengal great WR you get 85 (Curtis, Johnson, AJ...)

As to the OP: AJ is the most talented WR of All-Time, not quite ready to give him the GOAT nod just yet
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 10:12 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: AJ has not been better than Chad so far in his career, but he is well on his way to being better.

People forget just how good Chad was. Only receiver to lead the conference in receiving yards 4 years straight.He also did a ton to turn the franchise around and to make the Bengals cool again.

FIFY

@bfine: picking nits, but I'd put him behind Calvin physically. Calvin was 6'5" with 4.35 speed in his prime. I'd also put him behind Randy in that category. Other than those 2, I struggle to think of anyone better physically. 

It's a shame this team has 2 or 3 possible HOF's on it and we still haven't wona playoff game yet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 10:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: FIFY

@bfine: picking nits, but I'd put him behind Calvin physically. Calvin was 6'5" with 4.35 speed in his prime. I'd also put him behind Randy in that category. Other than those 2, I struggle to think of anyone better physically. 

It's a shame this team has 2 or 3 possible HOF's on it and we still haven't wona playoff game yet.

One potenial HOF'er and that is Green
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2016, 05:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/24684/chad-johnson-a-j-green-greatest-bengals-receiver-of-all-time

Before this year, I would've made an argument that they were on similar levels, but AJ has taken his game up a notch this year. Very classy and humble quotes from Chad. Of course I'm sure that will earn him zero points with Chad haters.

I agree with Chad, good stuff from the man. I might have been in the Chad hater category at one time but he was a
great WR here and had rare skills. I am not going to mention what i didn't care for about him cause that would be out
of place with him being so classy and as you say here Shake, humble.

Honestly, i think AJ Green is the best WR in the league right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 10:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @bfine: picking nits, but I'd put him behind Calvin physically. Calvin was 6'5" with 4.35 speed in his prime. I'd also put him behind Randy in that category. Other than those 2, I struggle to think of anyone better physically. 

Well I was just considering Bengal WRs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2016, 11:59 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: This was up for debate?

Absolutely. As of right now, today, Chad is winning. Chad also played in a different era which is strange to say considering it wasn't that long ago. It was a more balanced kind of football...and much much better in my humble opinion compared to today's pass happy game. Thanks Peyton

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 01:58 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Absolutely. As of right now, today, Chad is winning. Chad also played in a different era which is strange to say considering it wasn't that long ago. It was a more balanced kind of football...and much much better in my humble opinion compared to today's pass happy game. Thanks Peyton

The only reason it's a debate is the fact that Chad's career is over. 

As long as AJ stays healthy, and doesn't end his career headbutting his wife, we'll be comparing AJ to all time greats like Rice, Moss and others, rather than second tier greats like Chad Johnson. 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 12:52 PM)JustcallmeDaddy Wrote: One potenial HOF'er and that is Green

I don't see how Geno won't get consideration at the very least, and if Andy plays at this level for another 8 years or so, I think he gets consideration as well...assuming he eventually gets some playoff wins somewhere.

(11-03-2016, 01:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well I was just considering Bengal WRs

Ah, my bad. 

(11-03-2016, 01:58 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Absolutely. As of right now, today, Chad is winning. Chad also played in a different era which is strange to say considering it wasn't that long ago. It was a more balanced kind of football...and much much better in my humble opinion compared to today's pass happy game. Thanks Peyton

Fair point. Statistically, I guess Chad was more impressive during his prime. Has AJ led the conference in receiving yet? I guess he has a chance this year. Just watching AJ play this year, with the improvements he's made, I think he's finally surpassed Chad in skill...by a nose at least.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 02:16 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: The only reason it's a debate is the fact that Chad's career is over. 

As long as AJ stays healthy, and doesn't end his career headbutting his wife, we'll be comparing AJ to all time greats like Rice, Moss and others, rather than second tier greats like Chad Johnson. 

Have to agree with CK.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 03:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to agree with CK.

That's disappointing. 

Reply/Quote
Remembering watching Isaac Curtis play, he played in a different era and I think if he were playing now, he would be a top receiver without question, but he didn't have all the gifts and abilities AJ does.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 03:12 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: That's disappointing. 

Sorry man, you make great points but it is about impossible for me to think Chad was better than AJ will ever be.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 01:22 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I thought that was already the only one that's retired? I guess it's "unofficially" retired cuz no one ever wears it.

Either way, I agree with you. 78 should be first, although there's at least 5 numbers that should already be retired if Brown had any sense.

78 is "unofficially" retired. We hand it out in preseason sometimes, but that doesn't count. If the player wearing #78 makes it to the regular season, he has to change his number.

7 and 14 were also "unofficially" retired for a while. It's funny to me how we came to giving those numbers out later on. Maurice Purify was the first to get 14 after Anderson retired. That number wasn't handed out until Anderson won a Super Bowl with Pittsburgh as their QB coach in 2008. No one wore 7 after Boomer until Gradkowski in 2011. Of course, entering the 2011 season, Boomer was predicting a 0-16 season and us being in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. Seems as if Mikey might takes things a little personal.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 03:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sorry man, you make great points but it is about impossible for me to think Chad was better than AJ will ever be.

It has nothing to do with that.  It's that you agreed with such a vile post towards Chad. I'm not going to defend the altercation he had with his "wife" (ahem gold digger), but i will point out that was the only time he has been in trouble. And then there was the second tier bash. 

Dude has a agenda. He could have left that stuff out. The numbers speak for themselves and prime Johnson was hardly "2nd tier". Rolleyes

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 04:49 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: It has nothing to do with that.  It's that you agreed with such a vile post towards Chad. I'm not going to defend the altercation he had with his "wife" (ahem gold digger), but i will point out that was the only time he has been in trouble. And then there was the second tier bash. 

Dude has a agenda. He could have left that stuff out. The numbers speak for themselves and prime Johnson was hardly "2nd tier". Rolleyes

It's not an agenda, it's facts. 

When people discuss the best WRs of all time in the future, Chad's name won't be thrown around between players like Rice, Moss, Irvin, Owens, or Marvin Harrison. 

He'll be mentioned alongside other great players like Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, and Torry Holt among others. 

And if AJ continues like he has, again barring health or fizzling out of the league for whatever reason, my money is that people will be grouping him with the former group, and not the second. 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 10:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Through the first years of their careers, AJ has more yards and catches than Jerry Rice. I know its a long ways off and Rice was just so damn good after his first few years in the league, but its not far fetched to think AJ could end up being the best receiver of all time. 

Hes got a great start and hes only going to get better. He also seems to stay relatively healthy every year. 

Any wide receiver wanting to challenge Rice needs to be willing to take the punishment for 2 decades, like he did. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 07:42 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's not an agenda, it's facts. 

When people discuss the best WRs of all time in the future, Chad's name won't be thrown around between players like Rice, Moss, Irvin, Owens, or Marvin Harrison. 

He'll be mentioned alongside other great players like Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, and Torry Holt among others. 

And if AJ continues like he has, again barring health or fizzling out of the league for whatever reason, my money is that people will be grouping him with the former group, and not the second. 

Well, of coarse not he played for the Bengals. (See Ken Anderson/others)
But:

Look, I love Aj too, We are on the same team man. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 09:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Any wide receiver wanting to challenge Rice needs to be willing to take the punishment for 2 decades, like he did. 

Multiple Super Bowl rings wouldn't hurt either. 

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 09:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Multiple Super Bowl rings wouldn't hurt either. 

Troof.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote