Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chaffetz: Jail individuals leaking information
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/334443-chaffetz-jail-individuals-leaking-information

Quote:Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, on Sunday said individuals leaking information to the press should go to jail. 

“You cannot have that happen,” Chaffetz told ABC’s “This Week,” referencing the information leaking to the press about President Trump and the probe into Russia’s meddling in the presidential election. 

“I want to see that this person is prosecuted. I think the president makes a very good point. No matter who is in the White House, you cannot have the type of leaking of information, sources, methods, classified information,” Chaffetz said.

“I don't care who it is, Democrat or Republican, you cannot have that happen. So, not only do you need to wall them off, you probably ought to put handcuffs on them and put them in jail."

The New York Times last week reported that Trump in a meeting with two Russian officials called former FBI Director James Comey “a nut job” and said his firing eased “great pressure."

"I just fired the head of the FBI He was crazy, a real nut job," Trump reportedly said.

Chaffetz on Sunday said he hoped the report was not true.

“I don’t know if that was said or not said,” Chaffetz said.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Sunday echoed Chaffetz's call for leakers to be punished.

"I think it's a violation of the law to leak classified information and therefore, they should be held accountable," McCain told host Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday," calling it a "betrayal of their oaths."

Mellow

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865666097/Chaffetz-at-center-of-controversy-over-FBI-directors-letter-about-Clinton-emails.html

Quote:Chaffetz stood by his tweet — "FBI Dir just informed me, 'The FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation.' Case reopened" — that was picked up by media outlets moments after it appeared.

"I thought I would put it out there. People have a right to know. It was newsworthy. It caught me by surprise," the 3rd District congressman said, calling it "a totally accurate statement" to say the case has been reopened.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-21-2017, 09:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Well alright, the email thing seems like something from the past that doesn't really need to be warmed up again. But regarding the leaks, isn't he at least partially right there? Some leaks don't seem to be as necessary or for the greater good than potentially others are, at least. Leaking what the president says in his meetings with his staff seems a bit over the top and how embarrassing he behaves - that doesn't seem too urgent to bring to the public, and it is prohibited for good reason. No president could really work efficiently under these circumstances.
 Obama, from what I hear, saw it the same way and was very strict towards leakers.

When the leaks are about potentially criminal acts - there is an FBI investigation, maybe talk to those agents instead. I see it a whole lot differently when a leak really unmasks wrongdoing that otherwise would never come to light. Or if there's an acute, severe danger for the nation that requires immediate attention. But I think some are a bit too quick to say in general, well, illegal leaking or not, the end justify the means.

Or at the very least I can understand why Chaffetz would have to see it that way. Professionally. Not that I want to strike a blow for that certain individual who I consider one of the more stubborn partisan hacks. But still, just saying.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-21-2017, 09:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/334443-chaffetz-jail-individuals-leaking-information

Mellow

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865666097/Chaffetz-at-center-of-controversy-over-FBI-directors-letter-about-Clinton-emails.html

It's different when "they" do it. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]