Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chance to watch a great RB no one has heard of.
The list of the all time leaders in yards-per-carry is pretty impressive.  You may not remember Chuck Weatherspoon who held the career record until this season, but here are the next top 10 (minimum 300 carries)

Melvin Gordon
Felix Jones
Greg Pruitt
Nick Chubb
Jahvid Best
Reggie Bush
Dri Archer
Ki-Jana Carter
Mike Rozier

Well this year Georgia Southern's Matt Breida didn't just break the record he shattered it by more than a half yard per carry.  Weatherspoon averaged 8.22 for his career and Breida is currently averaging 8.77.  In 21 games he has averaged 129.9 yards per game and scored 31 tds.  Ten of his touchdowns have been 60+ yards. He is not big (5'10", 190), but he is plenty big enough to be an NFL RB.

He plays against Georgia tonight on ESPNU,  I plan on checking him out to see how he performs against tough competition.  Last year he had 163 yards (111 rush, 52 rec) against Georgia Tech on just 14 touches.  He also had 87 yards on just 10 carries against NC State.  This year West Virginia held him to just 70 yards on 17 carries in their opening game, but in the 8 games since then he has averaged 9.5 per carry (123 for 1172 yards) and 146.5 per game.
Reply/Quote
Georgia played at the same time as Tennessee so i didn't get a chance to watch any of the game, but Breida ws held to 65 yards on 20 carries.
Reply/Quote
That's an NFL Hall of Fame list right there.

Melvin Gordon - 3.5 ypc
Felix Jones - 4.7 ypc (that one surprised me and kinda ruined the joke a bit :S)
Greg Pruitt - 4.7 ypc
Nick Chubb - still in college 
Jahvid Best - 3.7 ypc
Reggie Bush - 4.3 ypc
Dri Archer - 4.0 ypc
Ki-Jana Carter- 3.6 ypc
Mike Rozier - 3.8 ypc

Well okay the yards per carry didn't make sense like I thought it would before I actually looked them up, but not the best list of NFL running backs regardless
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote