Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change Up in Philosophy Mock
First, let me say, I don't think this will happen but wanted to test out some theory.

Second, for FA. This assumes we can bring back the following on reasonable/cheap contracts:

Eli Apple - to protect from rushing Chido back before he's ready and depth.
Von Bell - I don't think we can lose both backfielders in one year and feel comfortable.
Flowers - for depth and TE guarding
Perine - For brusing and scheme fit.

Cuts:
LC - he wasn't great before injury and he will likely be hampered even more after an ACL so late in the year. I don't see him ready to start the season.
Mixon - legal issues aside, you can't pay a RB 12M and expect to win a SB.

Outside FA:
Jawaan Taylor RT Jac

Big young RT with still room to grow. Some people won't like this for his cost and I feel like its one worth betting on. His PFF grade is similar to Collins but his youth allows it the opportunity to improve. Having a starter in place opens the draft in case all the teams in front of us take OT and we are stuck with HA as starting RT again.

I don't know enough about the other FA options at this time so he's the only one I'm looking at.

Now to the draft. Remember this is experimental and requires an open mind. This draft was obtained via NFL Mock Draft Database:

Rd 1. Luke Musgrave TE Oregon St.

Yes, for anyone who has followed me on the other threads about TEs in one (Mayer), knows I dispise the idea of TE in 1. This draft was crafted in the belief that Boyd doesn't get another contract and we need to replace slot production. If Musgrave hits the athletic numbers projected, im using him as a big bodied slot that can block on the perimeter.

Rd 2. Mazi Smith NT Michigan

First off, didn't expect Mazi to be here. Second, the plan was to go Jack Campbell to replace Pratt. Third, Mazi's talents were too good to pass up. As much as we don't want to think about it, DJs contract is one that either needs replaced or lowered in the near future. This offers protection if neither of those things happens.

Rd 3. Jack Campbell LB Iowa

As mentioned above, was fully prepared to take Jack at 2, he fell to 3. Would love to add his tenacity to our attacking D. Rotate with ADG to replace Pratt until Campbell ready to take over.

Rd 4. Tyjae Spears RB Tulane

Speedy back. Everyone's darling after the Senior Bowl. Run and catches well. Has room to grow as a personal protector. Like would have went with Roschon Robinson if Spears wasn't here.

Rd 5. Payne Durham TE Purdue

"Another TE?" you say? Yes. As mentioned above, Musgrave is like a slot in a TEs body for these purposes, Durham is my traditional TE in this scenario. This could end up being a Hurst/Andrews scenario but in reverse (which is what you want with the 1st rounder being the superstar). Production isn't terribly different than Mayers, which for a 5th is amazing value. Good blocker, soft hands, great catch radius. Only negative is he may be athletically limited.

Rd. 6 Jakorian Bennett CB Maryland

H/W/S specimen that could give you some quality snaps as a back up. Could develop into starter.

Rd. 7 Warren McClendon RT Georgia

Developmental RT with some size and strength.

Let me know what you think. I'm prepared to defend all picks 1-6 (7th was a filler spot for me).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I truly believe that you'll have to let the franchise play its cards first this offseason. The facts we know are the guys who could be cut. When they are cut. I just don't think we know until Burrow & we knows his deal. I know two things at this point in the process.
1) We've won FA already and it hasn't even started yet. Our coordinators are coming back to town for another run.
2) We have Katie and they don't!  Look at my posts I've talked about her before. I love her!
3) Now its time to get to the talent at the combine & pro days with your staff because you have continuity already! WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 09:21 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I truly believe that you'll have to let the franchise play its cards first this offseason. The facts we know are the guys who could be cut. When they are cut. I just don't think we know until Burrow & we knows his deal. I know two things at this point in the process.
1) We've won FA already and it hasn't even started yet. Our coordinators are coming back to town for another run.
2) We have Katie and they don't!  Look at my posts I've talked about her before. I love her!
3) Now its time to get to the talent at the combine & pro days with your staff because you have continuity already! WhoDey2

Thank you for your insight?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 01:50 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Thank you for your insight?

So what is your plan for protecting the blind side of Joe Burrow? Are you sticking with Jonah Williams or making the move to Carman? Either way I think LT must be addressed very high in the draft and that means inside the first 3 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 05:59 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So what is your plan for protecting the blind side of Joe Burrow? Are you sticking with Jonah Williams or making the move to Carman? Either way I think LT must be addressed very high in the draft and that means inside the first 3 rounds.

Plan for LT is competition for Jonah/Carman. If Jonah comes back and beats Carman, so be it. Drafting at 28 doesn't guarantee the player can beat out either, and it gets worst the further down the draft you go (not that you probably don't know). There's a few LT prospects I do like in this group but I don't think any of them that will be available would beat out Jonah.

And its unlikely they let Jonah sit for 13M unless he outright gets beaten. If Jonah fails again and Carman can't beat him out, this would have to be addressed next offseason. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 06:35 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Plan for LT is competition for Jonah/Carman. If Jonah comes back and beats Carman, so be it. Drafting at 28 doesn't guarantee the player can beat out either, and it gets worst the further down the draft you go (not that you probably don't know). There's a few LT prospects I do like in this group but I don't think any of them that will be available would beat out Jonah.

And its unlikely they let Jonah sit for 13M unless he outright gets beaten. If Jonah fails again and Carman can't beat him out, this would have to be addressed next offseason. 

I would hope that they think more of Joe Burrow than to be influenced by 13 mil. Jonah was tied for the lead league in sacks allowed with 12 and that was while missing time with injuries. I would plug Anton Harrison in at LT in a heartbeat and be supremely confident that he does not surrender 12 sacks. This is the franchise we are talking about and the let's wait and see approach would not be very prudent. Personally, If it were I Jonah would have to beat Carman out for the job as what I saw from Carman gave him the edge for the starting job no matter the paycheck.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 10:36 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I would hope that they think more of Joe Burrow than to be influenced by 13 mil. Jonah was tied for the lead league in sacks allowed with 12 and that was while missing time with injuries. I would plug Anton Harrison in at LT in a heartbeat and be supremely confident that he does not surrender 12 sacks. This is the franchise we are talking about and the let's wait and see approach would not be very prudent. Personally, If it were I Jonah would have to beat Carman out for the job as what I saw from Carman gave him the edge for the starting job no matter the paycheck.

Easier said than done. We can't buy 2 new pieces in FA and I'm not feeling confident in the LT prospect we will have available at 28 (I see Wright as mainly a RT that has the ability to play LT).

I'm not confident in Harrison at all based on what I've read. If anything, I'm getting Bergeron in 2 put of Syracuse. Hell, i don't like Duncan but feel better taking that chance than Harrison.

I agree that keeping JoeyB upright is the most important, I just don't agree with reaching on talent.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 12:04 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Easier said than done. We can't buy 2 new pieces in FA and I'm not feeling confident in the LT prospect we will have available at 28 (I see Wright as mainly a RT that has the ability to play LT).

I'm not confident in Harrison at all based on what I've read. If anything, I'm getting Bergeron in 2 put of Syracuse. Hell, i don't like Duncan but feel better taking that chance than Harrison.

I agree that keeping JoeyB upright is the most important, I just don't agree with reaching on talent.

When it comes to Harrison he allowed a single sack in 2022 in well over 400 snaps played. His pressures allowed in 2022 rank right up there with both Skoronski and Parris Johnson. He is consistently ranked within the top 4 OT prospects in this draft and his pass blocking skills have been referred to as excellent. Not sure where the reach factor is involved when discussing Harrison.
Reply/Quote