Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change to Bengals's Beat Reporters
(06-12-2023, 09:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There are too many free sources of information, making it near impossible for the the owners of the Atlantic to be able to attract the number of people to pay subscription rates to the Athletic, in order to maintain all of that good talent.  The good new is that this likely allows for the chance of another quality outlet to spring up.  The bonus for us is that competition breeds better pricing for the general public.

Right now they have a $1/mo subscription for 12 months, that tells you what's happening there.  Look for them to fold this year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 09:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think social media has kind of killed journalism in some respects.

When is the last time you've truly read a piece/publication regarding the Bengals, Reds, etc? I feel like I know everything there is to know about the Bengals and barely read any articles about them....it's all blurbed out on social media or blogs, especially twitter. It also doesn't help that the Bengals beat guys really don't have much to offer when it comes to "insider" info. They aren't plugged in at all and the national guys are the ones that usually break the scoops. 

Sad to say but I think journalism is just a dying breed. People don't have the attention span for it anymore and its all about obtaining information in the fastest way possible, not by spending 10 minutesreading an actual article. 

Journalism is killing itself with opinion as fact, fact as propaganda and censorship all the rage.  Used to be journalists lived for scoops exposing corruption or crimes by government officials or big businesses.  Today they live for clever phrases attacking those they don't like.  In fact if you see any scoops at all, it's on social media.  Athletic is my kind of news outlet, focused on one thing and they do it well without all the distractions of the real life news outlets.  I subscribed recently for the $1.99/month, I mean how cheap, right?  
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 12:54 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Right now they have a $1/mo subscription for 12 months, that tells you what's happening there.  Look for them to fold this year.  

I hope not, the Athletic is one of the best in the business, far better than SI and ESPN.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 01:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I hope not, the Athletic is one of the best in the business, far better than SI and ESPN.

Oh yeah, I agree, I think they are excellent, so good in fact I did the $1.99/mo subscription.  Seriously though they are gold during the draft, Jan-March, August-October.
Reply/Quote
Too bad, I liked Jay's takes, hope he finds another place to report on the Bengals, he was good at it.
Reply/Quote