Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes in Kickoffs coming????
(03-26-2024, 11:42 AM)Nepa Wrote: Yes, has been approved.  Here is a quick summary:

"During the 2024 season, kickers will continue to kick from the 35-yard line, but the other 10 players on the kickoff team will line up at the receiving team's 40-yard line. At least nine members of the return team will line up in a "setup zone" between the 35- and 30-yard lines. Up to two returners can line up in a "landing zone" between the goal line and the 20-yard line.

"No one other than the kicker and returner(s) can move until the ball hits the ground or hits a player inside the landing zone. Touchbacks will be marked at the 30-yard line, and no fair catches will be allowed. In the event a team wants to attempt an onside kick, it will have to inform officials of its intent and would then be allowed to use the NFL's traditional formation. No surprise onside kicks will be allowed."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39812700/nfl-owners-approve-massive-revamp-kickoff-play

What a massive change in the rule.

Let's see if the experiment works (though I suspect it will), before naming it a massive rule change.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I thought the rule sounded pretty dumb at first. A lot to keep track of.

But it could be entertaining. Kickoffs and Special Teams will certainly be a bigger deal than they have been.
Reply/Quote
The only thing I don't like is the removal of spontaneous onside kicks. Limiting them to 4th quarter by the trailing team is lame.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 12:31 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: The only thing I don't like is the removal of spontaneous onside kicks. Limiting them to 4th quarter by the trailing team is lame.

true but how often has it been used outside those scenarios...  I recall the Saints in the Superbowl but not many other times
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 11:53 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I thought the rule sounded pretty dumb at first. A lot to keep track of.

But it could be entertaining. Kickoffs and Special Teams will certainly be a bigger deal than they have been.

I watched it in XFL games, it was much more entertaining that the ceremonial touchback that became the norm in the NFL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would assume that pretty much takes away the squib kick sometimes used with a couple seconds left in the half or the game?
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 12:54 PM)cinci4life Wrote: I would assume that pretty much takes away the squib kick sometimes used with a couple seconds left in the half or the game?

Since ball must land between the Goal Line and the 20, seems designed to force both sides to play is straight up.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Apparently they can only do onside kicks in the 4th quarter and up to two times. The reason they say is because teams don't do enough surprise onside kicks. But I am assuming the onside kick rules on where players line up are still the same for 'player safety'.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 05:29 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Apparently they can only do onside kicks in the 4th quarter and up to two times. The reason they say is because teams don't do enough surprise onside kicks. But I am assuming the onside kick rules on where players line up are still the same for 'player safety'.

they have to let the other team know about the outside kick then they line up as normal (23 rules)  but with the ability to overload one side again.

From what i hear it Was This... Or just drop the kick off
Reply/Quote
At first I didn't like this at all as I thought it was eliminating Kick Returns even more, but it is actually the opposite and forces Returners
to return all be it more safely for all players involved. So it isn't nearly as bad as I thought and as Sunset said it should be much more
entertaining than the ceremonial Touchback on nearly every Kick.
Reply/Quote