Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes to ponder for now...
Jonah had a flawless game one and in game two out side of the sack he did okay. Spain likewise was strong in week one and actually aside from one play where he got turned a little was good in week two. The sore spots have been Hopkins and against Chicago XSF had some rough spots. If as it seems possible XSF is playing hurt then you do have to consider putting in Carman. We should also be rotating Trey Hill a bit with Hopkins so he gets his ears wet so to speak.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.) Start Carman over XSF.  XSF has good strength and holds up well in general, but lacks the mobility needed for this scheme.  Carman is a much better athlete.  XSF was dinged up a little as well.  Let Carman practice with the ones and see if he can be an improvement.

2.) Chris Evans.  His coach at Michigan (not Harbaugh) said one of his biggest strengths is blitz pick-up.  Mixon hasn't been used effectively at all in the passing game.  It is time to look at Evans more on third down and obvious passing situations.  This may also help keep Mixon more fresh as I can't help but think one reason he never broke a long run Sunday was the 33 touches week 1.

3.) More 12 personnel.  If you are going to hand the ball off so much on first and second down until you are well behind on the scoreboard, consider running more 12 personnel.  You can still use CJ or Sample as receivers, but you have a better attack for the running game.  

4.) Page 2 of the offensive playbook.  More screens and misdirections, please.  You are very predictable right now based on your formations.  

Just my thoughts to try and show the team that if you aren't getting the job done, you will be replaced by someone that can.

But if you do more 12 personnel, then you have to bench one of Boyd, Higgins, or Chase.
And if you do that, you now have to defend why you decided to spend so many early draft picks on WRs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Actually you can do max protect with 11. Keep the TE and RB in to block and send out our three amigos and let Burrow do his thing.
Reply/Quote
The O Line hasn't been that bad. It's the offensive play calling and schemes and Joe holding onto the ball for too long that is getting him sacked.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 05:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The O Line hasn't been that bad. It's the offensive play calling and schemes and Joe holding onto the ball for too long that is getting him sacked.

which all points too.... Coaching.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Solid points, I also would consider placing Perrine on the practice squad and promote Patrick for the goal line situations. Perrine has not impressed me with blitz pick ups. He left the pocket early 2x Sunday and then a blitzer came free. We focus on our OL issues and we have them, but Perrine's execution almost got Burrow killed twice on Sunday.

Didn't Patrick get signed to another team?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
All these ideas for changes and what do we see on Bengals.com? A list of former Bengals who got nominated for the HOF..AS IF anyone in the modern world expects any of them to actually make it.. Welp..so much for the changes the bengals are gonna make from here on out..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 07:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Didn't Patrick get signed to another team?

Yes, San Fran
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 07:53 AM)grampahol Wrote: All these ideas for changes and what do we see on Bengals.com? A list of former Bengals who got nominated for the HOF..AS IF anyone in the modern world expects any of them to actually make it.. Welp..so much for the changes the bengals are gonna make from here on out..

Big Willie might have a shot at it....
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 09:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That guy was even bashing Jonah after a week one win. In which Jonah played a flawless game. He’s either trolling or clueless.

Or both
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 04:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But if you do more 12 personnel, then you have to bench one of Boyd, Higgins, or Chase.
And if you do that, you now have to defend why you decided to spend so many early draft picks on WRs.

If the Bengals feel like running the ball is the best way to attack a defense, then they should do it out of 12 personnel.  I am not saying they exclusively, but it should be more of a factor.  And while I am at it, please, for the love of God, run some misdirection (they did a little in week 1) to try and catch the defense selling out in over pursuit.  The TE screen is one of my favorite plays and it has yielded 10 yards every time they have run it.  Those things protect Joe as much as sound blocking. 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 08:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If the Bengals feel like running the ball is the best way to attack a defense, then they should do it out of 12 personnel.  I am not saying they exclusively, but it should be more of a factor.  And while I am at it, please, for the love of God, run some misdirection (they did a little in week 1) to try and catch the defense selling out in over pursuit.  The TE screen is one of my favorite plays and it has yielded 10 yards every time they have run it.  Those things protect Joe as much as sound blocking. 

12 personnel can be very effective in a ground based/West Coast type of attack, especially if you have one of those "TEs" that can play like a true FB/H-back type of role.  Thinking back to when we employed players like Ryan Hewitt and Tyler Kroft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 04:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But if you do more 12 personnel, then you have to bench one of Boyd, Higgins, or Chase.

Honestly I do not get the whole obsession with 12 personnel. We have 3 very talented receivers. Play to your strengths you can still block up the front with 7.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 08:57 AM)northernbengal Wrote: Honestly I do not get the whole obsession with 12 personnel. We have 3 very talented receivers. Play to your strengths you can still block up the front with 7.

Extra TE can help block. and we need more blocking

Plus with 2 on the field you can still pass  and use them for run blocking as well. lots to do in that personel package.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 08:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If the Bengals feel like running the ball is the best way to attack a defense, then they should do it out of 12 personnel.  I am not saying they exclusively, but it should be more of a factor.  And while I am at it, please, for the love of God, run some misdirection (they did a little in week 1) to try and catch the defense selling out in over pursuit.  The TE screen is one of my favorite plays and it has yielded 10 yards every time they have run it.  Those things protect Joe as much as sound blocking. 

I see your point. I was moreso just making a jab at the fact that people will be frustrated that Chase was selected and them not use 3-WR sets enough.

When it comes to 12 personnel though, which WR do you bench in favor of Sample?

(For the record, I think 12 personnel can be very effective, which is why I wanted Kyle Pitts. But that would have required Taylor to be creative and also utilize a TE better. Wishful thinking, I know)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The showed a look last week of whats called a "return motion action". Essentially, the receiver works across the formation in motion then sprints back to where they came from at some point while they are behind the line. If any of you are OSU fans it is a similar concept to what Alabama ran in the redzone to Devonta Smith that got him wide open. I'd like to see us use this motion more often in short yardage situations. Last week we ran off the motion, an hopefully going forward we show a couple passes off it. Most will run the flat route with the return, but you can take a shot by turning that flat route into a wheel route with a backside crosser from the TE to bring the safety down in a lot of cases.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 08:57 AM)northernbengal Wrote: Honestly I do not get the whole obsession with 12 personnel. We have 3 very talented receivers. Play to your strengths you can still block up the front with 7.

Generally, your TEs are much better blockers, but can still slide out in a pattern.  If 11 personnel was running the ball effectively, fine, but it isn't.

Listen to the "Hear that podcast growlin'" podcast (of follow Paul Dehner, Jr on twitter) and look at the horrible inefficiencies of the Bengals running the ball in to "go ahead and run it" defenses where everyone is off the LOS.  Through two weeks, dead last in the NFL.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 09:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I see your point. I was moreso just making a jab at the fact that people will be frustrated that Chase was selected and them not use 3-WR sets enough.

When it comes to 12 personnel though, which WR do you bench in favor of Sample?

(For the record, I think 12 personnel can be very effective, which is why I wanted Kyle Pitts. But that would have required Taylor to be creative and also utilize a TE better. Wishful thinking, I know)

First of all, it isn't a "benching", but sitting out a few plays.  They rotate a LOT, and hardly ever go hurry up (another annoyance).  Tyler Boyd and Higgins would most likely be the rotational out in the 12 personnel, since they view Chase as the screen as well as deep threat.  

I'm not being sarcastic, because I honestly don't know other than Atlanta sucks, but how has Mr. 40 receptions his Senior Year done thus far?  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, it isn't a "benching", but sitting out a few plays.  They rotate a LOT, and hardly ever go hurry up (another annoyance).  Tyler Boyd and Higgins would most likely be the rotational out in the 12 personnel, since they view Chase as the screen as well as deep threat.  

I'm not being sarcastic, because I honestly don't know other than Atlanta sucks, but how has Mr. 40 receptions his Senior Year done thus far?  

Kyle Pitts is 5th among TEs in yardage.
14 targets, 9 rec, 104 yards
That's basically Tyler Boyd right now (13 targets, 10 rec, 105 yards)

The TEs ahead of him are:
- Kelce (185 yards)
- Waller (170 yards)
- Hockenson (163 yards)
- Gronk (129 yards)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.) Start Carman over XSF.  XSF has good strength and holds up well in general, but lacks the mobility needed for this scheme.  Carman is a much better athlete.  XSF was dinged up a little as well.  Let Carman practice with the ones and see if he can be an improvement.

2.) Chris Evans.  His coach at Michigan (not Harbaugh) said one of his biggest strengths is blitz pick-up.  Mixon hasn't been used effectively at all in the passing game.  It is time to look at Evans more on third down and obvious passing situations.  This may also help keep Mixon more fresh as I can't help but think one reason he never broke a long run Sunday was the 33 touches week 1.

3.) More 12 personnel.  If you are going to hand the ball off so much on first and second down until you are well behind on the scoreboard, consider running more 12 personnel.  You can still use CJ or Sample as receivers, but you have a better attack for the running game.  

4.) Page 2 of the offensive playbook.  More screens and misdirections, please.  You are very predictable right now based on your formations.  

Just my thoughts to try and show the team that if you aren't getting the job done, you will be replaced by someone that can.

Great thoughts as usual. Start Trey Hill over Hopkins too if Hop continues to struggle. At least Hill is really hard to move with 
that anchor. Most of the OL trouble has been on Hop coming off that injury and mentally he just isn't right right now. Need to 
use more screens to the RB's and TE's. Middle TE screen? Lol

Also wouldn't mind seeing a little of the Jumbo line here and there and use a big DT at FB on some short yardage plays.
Reply/Quote