Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Play Calling From The 6?!
(10-25-2020, 08:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On our final score with two minutes left, we ran Gio from the shotgun from the 12, which I wasn't happy with, but not that bad of a call.

Then, from the 6, we hand him the ball two more times from the shotgun!  We're on the 6!  the D is going to be near the line!  Running from the shotgun won't work!

Furthermore, on at least one of the next two downs, AJ had a corner on the line playing press coverage with no safety behind him.......  THROW A JUMP BALL!  AJ may not be the receiver he once was, but I'll still take him in a jump ball EVERY TIME from the 5!

Or have him fake like he's running a fade and have Burrow throw him a quick slant or a short skinny post!

Did that bother anyone else?!

Brother, they were trying to kill the clock.  As it turns out, 69 seconds wasn't just enough for the Browns to get a FG, but a TD and win the game.  The play calls weren't trying to score, but kill clock.  Very sad they have to think that way, but you see why.  

They did force the Browns to use all their TOs.  Didn't matter.  I like Alexander, but if he even touches that TE and doesn't allow him to roll out of bounds, the game likely isn't lost in the end there.  

Situational awareness.  We didn't need Alexander to bat the ball down, but tackle the TE in bounds.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 11:15 PM)samhain Wrote: The offense's job is to score.  It was a score or lose scenario and they did theirs jobs.  The defense did not, as they did not all day.  This is on them and only them.

(10-26-2020, 09:30 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: No such thing as scoring too soon. If you can't get a team out in 3, yes, THREE plays, you deserve to lose.

^What these guys said.

The defense needed to make one stand, in order to secure the win.  Pass rush was virtually non-existent for the entire game, they couldn't even come up with one game saving stand.  Pathetic.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:30 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: No such thing as scoring too soon. If you can't get a team out in 3, yes, THREE plays, you deserve to lose.

Being that is would be the last drive of the game, you have to stop the opponent FOUR times, not three, before they get a first down and continue the drive.  Given that the clock stops with each incompletion, it really is quite a challenge on a defense to prevent the team from gaining just 40 yards after the kickoff to be in field goal range.  
Reply/Quote
Gio actually ran for the first down on 3rd down. Terrible spot.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 11:46 AM)Brimey Wrote: Gio actually ran for the first down on 3rd down. Terrible spot.

I thought he got it on 2nd down and was surprised it didn't get a booth review.
Reply/Quote
When we scored that last td the first thing I thought, and I'm sure many others did as well, was we left too much time on the clock. I agree with folks that say "You score when the opportunity presents itself." Put the burden on the defense to do their job. This loss is on the defense, they blew it and it cost us. BTW, did anyone catch the Falcons/Lions highlights? Todd Gurley tried to fall just short of the goal line to milk some more clock but broke the plane and scored the td leaving the Lions time on the clock. Lions players raised their hands to signal the score like" Yea...that's right! He scored! We get the ball back!" Too funny. Lions went on to win the game.
I'm sure we all remember a few seasons ago when we scored and left "Big Ben" a little too much time on the clock and the Steelers marched right down the field and won the game. Defense blew that one too. Oh well..."On to Tennessee!"
Reply/Quote