Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chargers announce move to Los Angeles
Breaking news from NFL.com.

Also, check out the new LA Chargers logo also @ NFL.com
Reply/Quote
For business, LA is a good move. However, the San Diego fans are upset and it will take some time to rebuild the fan base. Sharing a state of the art stadium with the Rams and Chargers just like the Jets and Giants makes sense. LA has many more people than San Diego so the fan base will grow. I hope the Bengals stay in Cincy.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I guess they had run out of options with San Diego, but I don' think it's a good move. The Raiders to LA would have made more sense with there being more Raiders than Rams fans in LA at this point. But, they have Vegas in their sights, and who can blame them. From what they say, there aren't really any Chargers fans in LA, so it will be interesting to see how well they can sell this team.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Dean Spanos is Mike Brown on steroids. Feel for the city of SD
Reply/Quote
Yes, that is a strange move and for the next two years the Chargers are going to play in the StubHub center, which is smaller than most college stadiums including Nippert before the renovations.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 10:28 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Yes, that is a strange move and for the next two years the Chargers are going to play in the StubHub center, which is smaller than most college stadiums including Nippert before the renovations.

They look like a dead franchise to me.  LA barely supports one team.  Forget about two.  The Bolts can't find  a decent coach or the path to winning or even a fan base.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 03:19 PM)McC Wrote: They look like a dead franchise to me.  LA barely supports one team.  Forget about two.  The Bolts can't find  a decent coach or the path to winning or even a fan base.

The Chargers are definitely in a bad spot right now. This truly feels like Spanos reacting instead of thinking. He didn't get the stadium from San Diego so he moved them.

He's now in a city that doesn't really care about the Chargers. He has 10 years to pay back the relocation fees (roughly $600 million). Plus, two of those 10 years are going to be in a stadium that is smaller than 7 of the stadiums used in the Sun Belt Conference. Then they're going to be the team that rents the Inglewood facility from Kronke and the Rams. Very few Chargers fans are going to travel from San Diego to watch them.

Hell, the StubHub Center has already said that the MLS team will still get the #1 treatment instead of the Chargers.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 05:17 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Chargers are definitely in a bad spot right now. This truly feels like Spanos reacting instead of thinking. He didn't get the stadium from San Diego so he moved them.

He's now in a city that doesn't really care about the Chargers. He has 10 years to pay back the relocation fees (roughly $600 million). Plus, two of those 10 years are going to be in a stadium that is smaller than 7 of the stadiums used in the Sun Belt Conference. Then they're going to be the team that rents the Inglewood facility from Kronke and the Rams. Very few Chargers fans are going to travel from San Diego to watch them.

Hell, the StubHub Center has already said that the MLS team will still get the #1 treatment instead of the Chargers.

What has Spanos ever done to warrant even keeping his job?  It's a mystery to me.  The sit there the fourth team in a three team race with an aging QB.  Their future looks like a big black cloud.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 05:28 PM)McC Wrote: What has Spanos ever done to warrant even keeping his job?  It's a mystery to me.  The sit there the fourth team in a three team race with an aging QB.  Their future looks like a big black cloud.

Spanos has been disliked/hated by the Chargers fan base for a very long time.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 05:17 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Chargers are definitely in a bad spot right now. This truly feels like Spanos reacting instead of thinking. He didn't get the stadium from San Diego so he moved them.

As to very few Chargers Fans will travel to see them......TRY NO CHARGERS FANS WILL TRAVEL TO SEE THEM......San Diego was one of the original AFL teams and an AFL power.  56 years of San Diego Chargers.  All Gone.  The San Diego people on news are burning all things Chargers and NFL.  OH, don't expect the San Diego TV area to watch much of the play-offs or Super Bowl.  Really, St Louis shouldn't either.  Pretty soon Oakland will have reasons not to watch NFL when they move to Las Vegas....Oh yes, an NFL team in Las Vegas looks as bad as Pete Rose living in Las Vegas. ......So they took the Colts out of Baltimore.  Took the Raiders out of Oakland.  Took the Cardinals out of St Louis.  Took the Rams out of Los Angeles. Took Raiders out of Los Angeles. Took the Oilers out of Houston. Took the Browns out of Cleveland and they were renamed The Ravens.  Took The Rams out of St Louis.  Took Chargers out of San Diego. Taking Raiders out of Oakland again.  Meanwhile NFL playing NFL games in London and Mexico City.

I'll make a comparison. Bengals move to St Louis. You still going to be Bengals Fans. You going to be all fired up about your Bengals in St Louis. ?....Some of you on here would because you live nowhere close to Cincinnati, so what's it matter.....People are not going from San Diego to LA to see the Chargers. St Louis Fans do not go to Arizona to see the Cardinals or to LA to see the Rams. Cleveland Fans do not go to Baltimore to root for the Ravens. Baltimore fans do not go to Indy to root for the Colts. Oakland Fans will not go to Las Vegas to see the Raiders. Houston fans do not go to Tennessee to see the Titans. and more than Cincinnati Royals fans go to Sacramento to see the Kings. San Diego IS DONE with the CHARGERS and done with THE NFL. ...The NFL better be going for TV ratings in London and Mexico City because they are ticking off people in major TV areas in The USA.

I hope something like the AFL or USFL comes along and puts teams in San Diego, Oakland, St Louis and major areas NFL has ignored. The NFL needs a good swift kick in the rear end. In Free Agency and The Draft, steal NFL Players. Break it off in the NFL's rear end. I have relatives in San Diego. To them, the Chargers are DEAD to them. On the news San Diego people burning all things Chargers and NFL. San Diego has no plans to support the LA Chargers or the NFL.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Man it's like a 2 and a half hour drive from San Diego to Los Angeles. Old St. Louis Cardinals fans not driving to Phoenix ain't a fair comparison... You think Browns fans in Columbus don't drive to Cleveland to attend games? I don't know how many, but some Chargers fans will make the trip.

I do agree with everyone that it is a bad move.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 04:02 AM)kevin Wrote: I'll make a comparison.  Bengals move to St Louis. You still going to be Bengals Fans.  You going to be all fired up about your Bengals in St Louis. ?....Some of you on here would because you live nowhere close to Cincinnati, so what's it matter.....People are not going from San Diego to LA to see the Chargers. St Louis Fans do not go to Arizona to see the Cardinals or to LA to see the Rams. Cleveland Fans do not go to Baltimore to root for the Ravens. Baltimore fans do not go to Indy to root for the Colts. Oakland Fans will not go to Las Vegas to see the Raiders. Houston fans do not go to Tennessee to see the Titans. and more than Cincinnati Royals fans go to Sacramento to see the Kings.  San Diego IS DONE with the CHARGERS and done with THE NFL. ...The NFL better be going for TV ratings in London and Mexico City because they are ticking off people in major TV areas in The USA.

Can't speak for everyone here, but if the Bengals were to leave Cincinnati, yeah, I'd be done with them.  Mike and Katie could take a long walk together off a short pier.  I'd bet most here would feel the same way but probably not all.  I'd be curious how our UK and Australia-based fans would feel about it.  Would it make any difference what US city the Bengals played in?  
Reply/Quote
I know a guy from SD who now lives back in SD and he is a life-long Chargers fan. He says he and his brother are done with the team and they aren't sure what they're going to do yet. That seems a little extreme to me, but I'm from Pittsburgh and I've been a Bengals fan since 87 so what do I know?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 12:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I know a guy from SD who now lives back in SD and he is a life-long Chargers fan.  He says he and his brother are done with the team and they aren't sure what they're going to do yet.  That seems a little extreme to me, but I'm from Pittsburgh and I've been a Bengals fan since 87 so what do I know?
It's not extreme at all. They rooted for the San Diego Chargers, not the LA Chargers. .....Say Bengals would move to St Louis, I would NOT root for the St Louis Bengals.....I use to like the Cincinnati Royals, but when they left, I was done and I've never had the same interest in the NBA. .....If the Reds ever left Cincinnati, I would be done with them....You feel because you live in Pittsburg and root for Bengals the city a team is in doesn't matter, but it does.  Again, I hope some day another AFL or USFL comes along to give the NFL a hard time, because the NFL sure gives cities and fans a hard time.  The NFL treats cities and fans pretty lousy. ...They aren't done. Raiders will announce leaving Oakland any day now. Hey,the NFL gave Mike Brown the OK to move the Bengals in the 1990s, and I think Mike wanted LA, but Cincy built a new stadium for those awful 1990's Bengals. If they had left, I would have stopped rooting for Bengals back then.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I lived in SD for 7 years. L.A. sports fans hate SD teams and vice versa. This would be like the Bengals moving to Pittsburg. Think the Pitt residents would start being Bengals fans just because the team was there?
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 06:35 AM)kevin Wrote: It's not extreme at all. They rooted for the San Diego Chargers, not the LA Chargers. .....Say Bengals would move to St Louis, I would NOT root for the St Louis Bengals.....I use to like the Cincinnati Royals, but when they left, I was done and I've never had the same interest in the NBA. .....If the Reds ever left Cincinnati, I would be done with them....You feel because you live in Pittsburg and root for Bengals the city a team is in doesn't matter, but it does.  Again, I hope some day another AFL or USFL comes along to give the NFL a hard time, because the NFL sure gives cities and fans a hard time.  The NFL treats cities and fans pretty lousy. ...They aren't done. Raiders will announce leaving Oakland any day now. Hey,the NFL gave Mike Brown the OK to move the Bengals in the 1990s, and I think Mike wanted LA, but Cincy built a new stadium for those awful 1990's Bengals. If they had left, I would have stopped rooting for Bengals back then.

Part of me agrees...lord knows the Quebec Nordiques didn't have the same shine when they became the Colorado Avalanche...but I also think a moving team is a good excuse for people to just hop on a bandwagon.  That could be a response to the pain of the team moving and an attempt to join a team that won't move, though. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 10:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Part of me agrees...lord knows the Quebec Nordiques didn't have the same shine when they became the Colorado Avalanche...but I also think a moving team is a good excuse for people to just hop on a bandwagon.  That could be a response to the pain of the team moving and an attempt to join a team that won't move, though. 

The Nordiques were a weird set of circumstances.  They leave for Denver, Montreal gets waxed by Detroit (in a Friday night game I remember watching, and laughing at, and subsequently regretting) and trade an angry Patrick Roy to Denver.  Then Denver meets and curb stomps Detroit in the conference finals and goes on to win the Stanley Cup.  I was a Wings fan then and 21 years later I'm still shaking my head over that one.  

Sorry, back to football.
Reply/Quote
I'm not quite sure why teams are even associated with certain cities. It would be much more interesting if every team could only have players who were born and raised in the cities or states they play for, but it's not even close. 
They have zero requirements of residency and no player is actually required to do any type of community service for the towns they play in. Short of paying income tax (I have a hunch many avoid those) that's about the only ties many have and yet many fans pretend that the star players represent their town..
Hint: They don't. 
I think the only requirement is they once in awhile get in front of the mic and say they like the city and even that's a stretch. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2017, 12:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm not quite sure why teams are even associated with certain cities. It would be much more interesting if every team could only have players who were born and raised in the cities or states they play for, but it's not even close. 
They have zero requirements of residency and no player is actually required to do any type of community service for the towns they play in. Short of paying income tax (I have a hunch many avoid those) that's about the only ties many have and yet many fans pretend that the star players represent their town..
Hint: They don't. 
I think the only requirement is they once in awhile get in front of the mic and say they like the city and even that's a stretch. 

The NFL should be like jury duty, as Jerry Seinfeld suggested.  One day you go to the mailbox and you have a summons to play for your local team.  Then the teams would really be representative of their cities.
Reply/Quote