Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase Brown VS Joe Mixon. The starting job isn’t in jeopardy, or is it?
(05-02-2023, 11:22 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

The Bengals may look for a younger back like Helaire that becomes available.

Some other older Veteran names to consider:

Kareem Hunt

Ezekiel Elliott

Leonard Fournette

*Keeping Mixon by just paying him what he is due or negotiating a reasonable pay cut that he would accept may not be a bad idea for the 2023 season.

I don't think that he will be as easy to replace immediately as many people think. 

Having his continuity in the Offense for a 2023 Super Bowl run could prove more helpful than some of his immediate replacement options may prove to be.

Hunt or Fournette would be nice. Supposedly the Bengals liked Fournette at draft time.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: yea, 4.0 ypc is going to be near the bottom of the league every year. It's a clear weak spot of this offense. 4.0 ypc is not good

I still look for Mixon to be cut here in less than a month. June 1st is the date.  With too much baggage and not enough production, he is high maintenance. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 07:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like Edwards Helaire will be our starter when his contract is up. 5th year option declined.

He's been a bust. I highly doubt it.
Reply/Quote
Brown may eventually challenge Mixon, but week 1 is going to be Mixon starting with Williams as the third down back. Gotta remember that Brown is still a 5th round rookie.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 10:42 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

The subjectivity is what makes player evaluations interesting. I see the 210 pound running style while also seeing Power and lower body muscle girth to his body that the bigger backs have. 

This is what made Mixon a somewhat rare prospect coming out running a 4.45 forty at 6 foot and 3/4  228 pounds. 

Adrian Peterson was 6 foot 1 and 1/2  217 pounds with a 4.41 forty time at his Combine.

I could see 220 as being a target weight the Bengals point him towards for some extra speed (and a Public Relations weight they use on Team Rosters which round heights to the inch) but he looks every bit of 225 or more to me.

Being 228 pounds & in shape at just age 21 then adding 5 years to now be 26 years old makes me think that he would have to struggle to get to and hold 220 pounds now. I also don't see the same speed as when he was younger which if he was 220 pounds the speed may still be there more than it is.

I'm guessing that he is playing between 224 to 228 pounds in any given week which is purely subjective.   I could be wrong.  Tongue

Another Fan or Poster may see Mixon in a completely different way based on reasons that shape their viewpoint which is fine with me.

I respect your opinion and it is fun to split the hairs.

I wasn't trying to split hairs.
I was originally asking if you meant 220 because that's what he was most recently.

But regardless, when I think of a 230+ lb RB, I think of a bulldozer that runs through people rather than try to go around them. A guy who has no problem picking up short yardage. I don't see that with Mixon.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:35 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I still look for Mixon to be cut here in less than a month. June 1st is the date.  With too much baggage and not enough production, he is high maintenance. 

Did you listen ( not read Zac’s comments the other day) ? A guy in the media room commented that settles that. He said the entire room was convinced he was staying
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 10:11 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Did you listen ( not read Zac’s comments the other day) ? A guy in the media room commented that settles that. He said the entire room was convinced he was staying

Yes I believe everything coaches and players say in front of cameras as well

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wasn't trying to split hairs.
I was originally asking if you meant 220 because that's what he was most recently.

But regardless, when I think of a 230+ lb RB, I think of a bulldozer that runs through people rather than try to go around them. A guy who has no problem picking up short yardage. I don't see that with Mixon.

The quote that you would have drawn from is underlined below. I threw out the 6 foot 1 230 pounds from memory of what I thought his Combine numbers were to make the point about Mixon being more of a Bell Cow in comparison to Chase Brown. My memory was close to the Combine numbers.

Chase Brown could secure RB2 and then shine as the season progresses to gain some playing time but Mixon has more of a Bell Cow body at 6 foot 1  230 pounds to wear on Defenses and for short yardage.

With that said, I agree that Mixon attempts to be more elusive when he runs versus trying to use the size he has to Bull Doze people. I think that Mixon is effective in short yardage though as you imply his style may be first to elude versus what may be a more impressive plowing style that say Perine possesses.

Things like this are fun for me to discuss and other Posters input creates even deeper thought from me about whatever is being discussed.

I'd say that you are one of my Top 3 favorite Posters on the Board to read so this has always been an all is good conversation.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 05:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: idk how Mixon weights 220 - he looks freaking tiny. 

Iv seen him pretty close and he’s a tank.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Re: Pass Protection this past season

Mixon - 64 pass block snaps, 4 total pressures (3 sacks)
Chase Brown in college - 106 pass block snaps, 4 total pressures (1 sack)

I actually think Chase Brown is a better pass blocker than Mixon.
He may not quite be the established and experienced pass catcher that Mixon is, but Brown I think could be already a better blocker.

I think we could see Chase Brown split time with Mixon quite a bit like we saw with Perine last year.

Without question, Chase Brown is a better pass blocker and not just by the numbers, when you watch both you can see one 
is very willing to block for his QB while the other one is not. Also, Brown has much better vision and balance than Mixon. You 
just watch, if this OL is opening up holes and our TE's and WR's are blocking down the field a 10 yard gain that Mixon would 
get can turn into a 30 yard gain for Chase Brown.

I just hope the coaches use the more productive RB if Mixon stays. The one thing Mixon has on Brown is he protects the ball
much better. This could be a factor if Chase Brown doesn't have a ton of snaps as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Without question, Chase Brown is a better pass blocker and not just by the numbers, when you watch both you can see one 
is very willing to block for his QB while the other one is not. Also, Brown has much better vision and balance than Mixon. You 
just watch, if this OL is opening up holes and our TE's and WR's are blocking down the field a 10 yard gain that Mixon would 

I just hope the coaches use the more productive RB if Mixon stays. The one thing Mixon has on Brown is he protects the ball
much better. This could be a factor if Chase Brown doesn't have a ton of snaps as a rookie.

I said this earlier. The players want to win. The coaches know who they feel gives them the best chance. If Brown or Williams are doing better than Mixon they’ll get the snaps. It’s the way it works at least at the NFL level. Too many bonuses, contracts,and roster spots on the line. They’ll go to Brian and Zac in a heart beat.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I said this earlier. The players want to win. The coaches know who they feel gives them the best chance. If Brown or Williams are doing better than Mixon they’ll get the snaps. It’s the way it works at least at the NFL level. Too many bonuses, contracts,and roster spots on the line. They’ll go to Brian and Zac in a heart beat.

Awesome, that is all I want to hear. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Without question, Chase Brown is a better pass blocker and not just by the numbers, when you watch both you can see one 

Jake Liscow and Joe Goodberry talked about the ball security concern with Chase Brown.
They said on the surface, his fumbles seem like a lot, but he had over 350 touches last year.
On a touches-per-fumble metric, it's actually not too far off some other guys the Bengals have/had.

Also, Mixon fumbled 3 times in just 208 touches his rookie year, and he improved in that area after, so I'm not overly concerned with Chase Brown.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome, that is all I want to hear. Rock On

I mean this isn’t youth football or college even. If Joe and other leaders think Joe’s not getting it done then too much on the line. They’ll speak up.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 10:11 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Did you listen ( not read Zac’s comments the other day) ? A guy in the media room commented that settles that. He said the entire room was convinced he was staying

No, I didn't hear that.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jake Liscow and Joe Goodberry talked about the ball security concern with Chase Brown.
They said on the surface, his fumbles seem like a lot, but he had over 350 touches last year.
On a touches-per-fumble metric, it's actually not too far off some other guys the Bengals have/had.

Also, Mixon fumbled 3 times in just 208 touches his rookie year, and he improved in that area after, so I'm not overly concerned with Chase Brown.

Yes sir. All great points. I am not overly concerned with Chase Brown's fumbling problems either. He was the most solid RB in 
the Draft at the time we picked him in the 5th round by far IMO. I think Bijan Robinson is much more pro ready, but a RB like 
Chase Brown where we got him is crazy good value. There are a lot of RB's that were flashy I liked better in Gibbs and Spears
and maybe Achane with that speed, but Chase Brown got a ton of pass protection snaps and touches as you note to show what
he has more than these flashy RB's. 

Wanted Gibbs a ton, but that was reach that early. Spears had a bad injury and Achane and Keeton Mitchell are small.

(05-03-2023, 01:33 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I mean this isn’t youth football or college even. If Joe and other leaders think Joe’s not getting it done then too much on the line. They’ll speak up.

Yep, we want to win the entire thing, bad...

I have confidence in the best players starting now unlike when we had Marvin Lewis as the HC. If Mixon is sticking around
and looking good leading up to the season he should be the starter with both Chase Brown and Trayveon Williams taking the 
3rd down back duties. Sure would be nice if Mixon really worked on his pass protection this year, he would make us much less
predictable in our sets if he did and became okay at it.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes sir. All great points. I am not overly concerned with Chase Brown's fumbling problems either. He was the most solid RB in 
the Draft at the time we picked him in the 5th round by far IMO. I think Bijan Robinson is much more pro ready, but a RB like 
Chase Brown where we got him is crazy good value. There are a lot of RB's that were flashy I liked better in Gibbs and Spears
and maybe Achane with that speed, but Chase Brown got a ton of pass protection snaps and touches as you note to show what
he has more than these flashy RB's. 

Wanted Gibbs a ton, but that was reach that early. Spears had a bad injury and Achane and Keeton Mitchell are small.

Yep, we want to win the entire thing, bad...

I have confidence in the best players starting now unlike when we had Marvin Lewis as the HC. If Mixon is sticking around
and looking good leading up to the season he should be the starter with both Chase Brown and Trayveon Williams taking the 
3rd down back duties. Sure would be nice if Mixon really worked on his pass protection this year, he would make us much less
predictable in our sets if he did and became okay at it.

I hear that about predictability but my question is if they see a substitution for Mixon if they think it’s just as a blocker doesn’t it actually work in our favor on a screen? I mean even if Joe were to stay in isn’t it likely a passing down? Most times they are throwing to Chase, Tee, or Boyd? I just was never bothered that it made us more predictable. I thought it opened it up for screens to Samaje which often broke open.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:39 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: No, I didn't hear that.

Go to the 3:50 mark.
https://youtu.be/UyzMFL-IQEw

From Cleveland.com
Taylor was adamant with his assessment of Joe Mixon on Sunday.

“His future is here with the team,” he said. “I like Joe Mixon.”

Go to the 3:00 mark and watch his quick response and zero hesitation

https://youtu.be/yERxIG0a4Co

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Go to the 3:50 mark.

From Cleveland.com

I think he answered it quickly because Katie Blackburn didnt sound too happy with Mixon on her last presser, which raised many eyebrows. So, to me, he prob wanted to squash any potential conflict in the public eye

but you're an oklahoma homer who believes everything he's told, so there's not much use in conversing with you

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Go to the 3:50 mark.

From Cleveland.com

it's PR 101 to tell the public everything is fine when there maybe is turmoil going on behind the scenes. You learn this about the world immediately. 

why would the bengals want the headache and media attention if they told the public how they really feel? Imagine all the people who would be pestering them if they said out loud that they want Mixon gone...

use your brain

Reply/Quote