Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase Brown last night
(08-19-2023, 02:34 AM)Whatever Wrote: It is was it is.  Kid is a Day 3 pick.  It wouldn't be a big deal if we weren't counting on one of our three Day 3 RB's stepping up in a big way and playing significant snaps in the offense.  I think we probably need to look and see what's left in FA and/or who shakes loose in final cuts.  

i doubt we will add anyone impactful to the roster (barring injuries). Gonna be hard enough getting our own down to 53 and seeing if there's money for Tee/Burrow there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 01:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Williams is RB2 when healthy.

Evans & Brown are fighting for RB3. And to make us keep 4 RBs.

Evans had a nice KR last night.

I agree but if he is out couple games and either Evans or Brown perform well he might be #3, he does not have a firm grip on it especially passing downs
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 01:41 AM)Joelist Wrote: VERY up and down. He actually had some nice plus plays where he got yards. BUT, he was a disaster as a blocker. He actually caused two pressures and indirectly the INT by running into the back of the LT on two plays, knocking the LT out of their pass set and messing it all up.

Apparently he did good pass blocking.
Reply/Quote
Once Chase Brown got a hole he shown why I like the guy a lot. He has great balance and he can spin off of tackles. So far,
I think Evans has received the most holes in front of him as far as the RB's go. Both look explosive, pass pro in our Offense
will always need to be criticized as it is very important to our team more than any with Perine no longer here.

I didn't see Chase Brown or Evans look bad in pass pro in this game though, could be wrong and just missed it.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Once Chase Brown got a hole he shown why I like the guy a lot. He has great balance and he can spin off of tackles.

What?  After 2 preseason games he is averaging 1.7 yards per attempt.  VS Packers 8 attempts for 12 yards.  Last night 9 attempts for 18 yards. Look the guy is a 5th round pick so don't expect much.   If he does something better great.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Liscow on Brown running into LT

Don't always trust PFF.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 07:52 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Good news is I’ve heard (haven’t been able to watch much) that Chris Evans has picked up pass protection much better this year.

He had to go have a job in the NFL

Actually very excited to see his role this year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
During the draft, I remember that Chase Brown was described as one of the best pass blocking RBs in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 08:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: During the draft, I remember that Chase Brown was described as one of the best pass blocking RBs in the draft.

You are 100% mistaken.

His big issue on his scouting report in regards to us drafting him was that he was an unknown as a pass blocker because Illinois never asked him to pass protect.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I'm hopeful that the issues we saw vs the Falcons were more him lacking prior pass protect experience than anything else.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:03 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: What?  After 2 preseason games he is averaging 1.7 yards per attempt.  VS Packers 8 attempts for 12 yards.  Last night 9 attempts for 18 yards. Look the guy is a 5th round pick so don't expect much.   If he does something better great.

There were ZERO holes opened up for Chase Brown against the Packers. He was hit at the LOS every play.

There were 2 holes opened up for Chase Brown against the Falcons where he could of got stopped for only a 3 yard gain, spinned out of 
a tackle and it went for around 8 yards, the other the TD. Terrible OL play and terrible QB play is a big time reason for Chase Brown's YPC.

I would like to see the guy actually get a hole like Bijan Robinson got against us once before I judge him.

(08-19-2023, 09:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'm hopeful that the issues we saw vs the Falcons were more him lacking prior pass protect experience than anything else.

Lacking of pass protect experience against semi Pro's yeah, but he was the most experienced RB in this last Draft in pass pro, had more 
snaps doing so than any RB and held up fairly well at Illinois. Happy he improved big time against the Falcons because he was really bad
in pass pro against the Pack. Chase Brown is a rookie and will take time as all do, actually a bit concerned about his pass pro right now.

It is extremely important in our Offense, happy Chris Evans is better at pass pro now so far.

Sure will help when Chase Brown actually has adequate run blocking in front of him. Evans has seen holes, Brown has not.
Reply/Quote
He had no holes in front of him. When he did, he ran well. I think there might have been two runs he had where he had a chance of getting a few yards and he did. Backup oline wasn't very good.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:39 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: He had no holes in front of him. When he did, he ran well. I think there might have been two runs he had where he had a chance of getting a few yards and he did. Backup oline wasn't very good.

Yeah, I mean, where was he supposed to go? Dude isn't Marshawn Lynch in his prime that could carry entire DL's....
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I mean, where was he supposed to go? Dude isn't Marshawn Lynch in his prime that could carry entire DL's....

It was literally a wall in front of him every play but a couple. Yet Joelist thinks its his fault he ran into a lineman's back? I'm not sure what plays he's talking about, but I don't know how you can blame him for running into a wall. If he bounced it out he would have lost yards every play. 33 yards by the backs on 16 carries or something like that.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 08:53 PM)Housh Wrote: You are 100% mistaken.

His big issue on his scouting report in regards to us drafting him was that he was an unknown as a pass blocker because Illinois never asked him to pass protect.

Here is an article that states he was considered an excellent pass block RB and the 2nd best pass-blocking RB among those drafted.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/5/5/23711342/chase-brown-pass-blocking-grades-illinois-bengals-draft-2023

At any rate, I can't be 100% mistaken because what I stated was I remember during the draft he was being discussed as an excellent pass blocker. If you go back to the draft thread, you will indeed see that is the case. I never made the case myself that he was an excellent pass blocker, just that was what was being presented by others.

Also I don't know what you mean that at Illinois he was never asked to pass protect. According to this article: "Brown stayed in the pocket to pass block 45.3 percent of the time, while Bijan Robinson, the top-ranked running back in this year’s draft class, only stayed in the pocket to block 26.5 percent of the time"
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:58 PM)Nepa Wrote: Here is an article that states he was considered an excellent pass block RB and the 2nd best pass-blocking RB among those drafted.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/5/5/23711342/chase-brown-pass-blocking-grades-illinois-bengals-draft-2023

At any rate, I can't be 100% mistaken because what I stated was I remember during the draft he was being discussed as an excellent pass blocker. If you go back to the draft thread, you will indeed see that is the case. I never made the case myself that he was an excellent pass blocker, just that was what was being presented by others.

Also I don't know what you mean that at Illinois he was never asked to pass protect. According to this article: "Brown stayed in the pocket to pass block 45.3 percent of the time, while Bijan Robinson, the top-ranked running back in this year’s draft class, only stayed in the pocket to block 26.5 percent of the time"
I think Locked on Bengals went in depth on this topic ans said he rarely was asked to do it at Illinois.

I know I’m not making it up just can’t remember what i saw. I generally remember his pass blocking an unknown. No one knew if he was gonna be good or bad in the NFL
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:50 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: It was literally a wall in front of him every play but a couple. Yet Joelist thinks its his fault he ran into a lineman's back? I'm not sure what plays he's talking about, but I don't know how you can blame him for running into a wall. If he bounced it out he would have lost yards every play. 33 yards by the backs on 16 carries or something like that.

On PASS plays? He literally hit the LT from behind twice, knocking them out of their pass block. I saw it, Liscow saw it so did others. He needs to work on that kind of stuff - there is no reason for him to run into our blockers when he is in pass protect. 
Reply/Quote
One thing I like about Chase, is unlike Mixon, he doesn't dance around. He seems to get north/south immediately and hits the, in these cases, non-existent holes. I'd like to see him run behind our starting line.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2023, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One thing I like about Chase, is unlike Mixon, he doesn't dance around. He seems to get north/south immediately and hits the, in these cases, non-existent holes. I'd like to see him run behind our starting line.

Exactly, no dancing from Chase Brown, if he was doing this and fumbling, I would be concerned about him. But his poor YPC have 
been the fault of poor run blocking and poor QB play where the Defense keys in on stopping the run. Will have to watch the game 
again later today to see these plays Joelist is talking about where Brown was knocking the LT out of his pass blocks. Didn't see this 
the first time around.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 11:13 PM)Housh Wrote: I think Locked on Bengals went in depth on this topic ans said he rarely was asked to do it  at Illinois.

I know I’m not making it up just can’t remember what i saw. I generally remember his pass blocking an unknown. No one knew if he was gonna be good or bad in the NFL

Brown led all backs in his draft class with 106 pass pro opportunities in 2022. Next closest was 79.
Reply/Quote