Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst........then who?
(05-07-2022, 11:49 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I agree, although I think the draft went exactly like they had it valued which killed them.  Great article, btw, they said there wasnt nearly as many later round guys being taken as early surprises as usual.  Dax seems to be the only sweet drop we were able to grab other than potentially Gunter.

I agree with this. It really sounds like the scouting department, Duke, along with Zac and more coaches helping in evaluating is really working. It’s kinda showing the NFL they’ve got a better formula.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see them pick up a vet WR if for nothing else just an insurance policy. You just never know what's gonna happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 11:08 AM)spazz70 Wrote: That is a good way to expose your young players and future depth and starters.  You need to develop guys at the same time.  We just drafted 6 players plus UDFAs and you want to just fill POTENTIAL needs.  Fill the need if it arises.  

We have no young WR’s worth saving a spot for. You want to give an UDFA a spot so he can maybe develop instead of having a guy who is actually capable of playing in this league?

You can fill a need much easier and better now than mid season when it arises.
Reply/Quote
I think the coaching staff has some confidence in the two Trents.Trent Irwin and Trent Taylor.Hence,no WR drafted.With Joe Burrow at Quarterback,as was said before,he can make an average WR look good,as does Brady,Rodgers,Mahomes,etc.I think Hurst was a nice pick-up at TE.And no,we don’t need another TE.
Reply/Quote
I mean damn…..that’s all you need to win lowkey. We could spring for a 4th WR and a backup TE but it’s not needed
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I’m perfectly fine with Morgan, Taylor and Irwin being our reserve WRs. No need to spend more money in that position. I’m expecting 20-25 TDs from the WR position EASY.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:24 PM)Housh Wrote: I’m perfectly fine with Morgan, Taylor and Irwin being our reserve WRs. 

I'd be fine with them if they were rookies or 2nd year players who are still growing and developing.

This will be the 4th season for Irwin and Morgan, and the 6th for Taylor.
Reply/Quote
The “who?” for receiving targets is definitely Joe Mixon. Otherwise I see receiver and tight end as follows:

Outside: incredible at the top, but shallow
Chase
Higgins
Irwin
Thomas
Morgan

Slot: very good top two
Boyd
Taylor

Tight end: good upside at the top, but bad depth
Hurst
Sample
Wilcox

Running back: very good as receivers top to bottom
Mixon
Evans
Perine

Rookies and camp bodies: I don’t expect any to make the team, but maybe someone surprises
Williams
Moss
Eubanks
Heiligh
Lassiter
Reply/Quote
Once Burrow signs his second (first MEGA) deal, the Bengals will be priced out of carrying an elite supporting cast like they have now. It's an insane luxury to have arguably their top 3 talents on rookie contracts. Finding ways to turn water into wine is an inevitability for this team, for Burrow, but that's the nature of the beast in this league. They'll be fine as long as they keep him upright and the lines of communication open. This is what they signed up for.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:22 PM)Housh Wrote: I mean damn…..that’s all you need to win lowkey. We could spring for a 4th WR and a backup TE but it’s not needed

Agreed, but that's true only so long as they all stay healthy (doubly so for Chase since they offensively pretty much lived and died by his big plays)...

The Cardinals lost their TE early but managed to keep going on, but then Hopkins got injured in the first half of Week 8 while they were 7-0 and then they went 4-6 and lost in the first round, because all they could replace mid-season was their TE with a trade.

The Rams picked up OBJ to replace DeSean Jackson and then they almost immediately lost Robert Woods, so it probably saved their season and got them their SB.

...can't be sure that there will be a decent replacement just sitting there if/when an injury happens.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:34 PM)tms Wrote: Once Burrow signs his second (first MEGA) deal, the Bengals will be priced out of carrying an elite supporting cast like they have now. It's an insane luxury to have arguably their top 3 talents on rookie contracts. Finding ways to turn water into wine is an inevitability for this team, for Burrow, but that's the nature of the beast in this league. They'll be fine as long as they keep him upright and the lines of communication open. This is what they signed up for.

They still have like 2-3 years after he signs his extension before the cap number will balloon to really be a problem. Just because he signs for $50m/yr or whatever doesn't mean he immediately start costing $50m against the cap. It'll take a couple years to ramp up to there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:24 PM)Housh Wrote: I’m perfectly fine with Morgan, Taylor and Irwin being our reserve WRs. No need to spend more money in that position. I’m expecting 20-25 TDs from the WR position EASY.

Those 3 combined over the last two seasons have like 32 or something in there receptions combined ! And like Fred says these aren't rookies or 2nd year players, they've been around a minute. 

They're all like 5th and 6th receivers at best or practice squad. We need an experienced vet that actually has NFL success as the #4 WR and to fill in just in case somebody is out for a bit.

The window for another Super Bowl run is only open so long. Prepare for the worst - now. Don't wait until midseason and we're hurting.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 01:01 AM)phil413 Wrote: We did the state if the OL, but what about the targets? We give Simmons half the roster slots at WR, but none caught more than 5 passes. Sample caught 11, but they looked at high receiving TE prospects but then passed on them.  Perine (27 catches) and Williams will get targets behind Mixon, but only one is on the field at a time.

Is it time to finally go out and get a capable WR even if they can't contribute on ST?  Has the draft helped the DB ST room enough to compensate such a move?  Don't they have enough ST types to sneak one off and onto waivers again?

So basically, are you thinking we have a gem on the roster (preferably an outside WR) that can take the next step...or do we get someone?  You could get a ring chaser at WR or recieving TE. Even if the bigger names wait for a bigger gig maybe a guy like Emmanuel Sanders signs today to give you stability. He's more of a slot but can play outside and was pretty productive at 34 last year in Buffalo. Just one example, but I think we need to add someone.  If an outside guy gets dinged up I'd like to keep Boyd where he is.

DeDe Westbrook would be the perfect WR to add.
Reply/Quote
I think it's Sample, Wilcox at TE Thomas, Morgan, Irwin, and Taylor at WR. Pretty much the same group that got super hot at the end of the year last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:19 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I think the coaching staff has some confidence in the two Trents.Trent Irwin and Trent Taylor.Hence,no WR drafted.With Joe Burrow at Quarterback,as was said before,he can make an average WR look good,as does Brady,Rodgers,Mahomes,etc.I think Hurst was a nice pick-up at TE.And no,we don’t need another TE.

They were interested in Romeo Doubs in the draft and he was taken before we could draft him. They were interested in George Pickens as well. It had NOTHING to do with having any extra confidence in Irwin or Taylor. The WR's we were interested in were gone before we had a chance to get one of them. Why do you think they brought in some UDFA WR's who have a lot more speed and ST's ability? Because the one's we have are average at best and none have any speed...mostly 4.6 guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 01:01 AM)phil413 Wrote: We did the state if the OL, but what about the targets? We give Simmons half the roster slots at WR, but none caught more than 5 passes. Sample caught 11, but they looked at high receiving TE prospects but then passed on them.  Perine (27 catches) and Williams will get targets behind Mixon, but only one is on the field at a time.

Is it time to finally go out and get a capable WR even if they can't contribute on ST?  Has the draft helped the DB ST room enough to compensate such a move?  Don't they have enough ST types to sneak one off and onto waivers again?

So basically, are you thinking we have a gem on the roster (preferably an outside WR) that can take the next step...or do we get someone?  You could get a ring chaser at WR or recieving TE. Even if the bigger names wait for a bigger gig maybe a guy like Emmanuel Sanders signs today to give you stability. He's more of a slot but can play outside and was pretty productive at 34 last year in Buffalo. Just one example, but I think we need to add someone.  If an outside guy gets dinged up I'd like to keep Boyd where he is.

I have been watching the film I can find on Pryor from Wisconsin and the Bengals may have found something in this kid. He seems to run a pretty diverse route tree, works the middle of the field, and was utilized on reverses and sweeps and seemed pretty instinctive with the ball in his hands. I really like what I have seen of him on tape.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They still have like 2-3 years after he signs his extension before the cap number will balloon to really be a problem. Just because he signs for $50m/yr or whatever doesn't mean he immediately start costing $50m against the cap. It'll take a couple years to ramp up to there.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, there's all kinds of creative accounting that they can and will do. For one, I'm sure they'll start staggering contracts and juggling bonuses like there's no tomorrow. But the point remains: once Burrow goes from $9-10 mil today to $40 to 50 mil- or whatever it'll be- then fuhgetaboutit. That's a completely different ballgame. They'd better be ready to start moving guys in and out on the regular at that point, and they'll have bigger fish to fry than worrying about who their 5th option is.

There are only a select few cases right now where you have a legit max$ QB co-existing comfortably with max$ weapons. I don't know if that's why GB got rid of Adams (because Carr's making big coin as well) or KC Tyreek, but it's no mere coincidence. We're not living in the 90s anymore. The payroll pie is only so big.

But I agree we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. It's important to enjoy this luxury today and cross that other bridge when we get to it. In some ways it'll be a good problem to have because it'll reflect a very successful team, one that's worth keeping together. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: DeDe Westbrook would be the perfect WR to add.
I like him and I also like Keelan Cole.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 08:50 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I have been watching the film I can find on Pryor from Wisconsin and the Bengals may have found something in this kid. He seems to run a pretty diverse route tree, works the middle of the field, and was utilized on reverses and sweeps and seemed pretty instinctive with the ball in his hands. I really like what I have seen of him on tape.

I think Pryor and Lassiter both have a good shot to make the team. Lassiter also did punt returns (13.5 avg).
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 08:50 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I have been watching the film I can find on Pryor from Wisconsin and the Bengals may have found something in this kid. He seems to run a pretty diverse route tree, works the middle of the field, and was utilized on reverses and sweeps and seemed pretty instinctive with the ball in his hands. I really like what I have seen of him on tape.

Awesome. I must of watched Pryor as I get to see a lot of Wisconsin games, just cannot remember him at the moment.

Wisconsin is usually such a running team that I overlook the WR's besides their TE in Ferguson who I wanted.

(05-07-2022, 11:31 PM)pulses Wrote: I like him and I also like Keelan Cole.

Rock on, another name to throw out there.

(05-07-2022, 11:34 PM)pulses Wrote: I think Pryor and Lassiter both have a good shot to make the team. Lassiter also did punt returns (13.5 avg).

I like Lassiter as well, maybe he is the answer at PR? Heighleigh can also return Punts.

Maybe Simmons got his guy as an UDFA...

Can not believe he wasn't pounding the table for a PR late this year after what he said prior to the Draft.
Reply/Quote