Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chase Mention in PFF
This article was from a pre-season fantasy analysis (stay with me) regarding Ja'Marr Chase and the Bengals.

There is a quote at the end that made my jaw hit the ground:

WR JA’MARR CHASE
The Bengals front office couldn't pass up on the idea of reuniting Burrow with his former LSU teammate Ja’Marr Chase. When the two last played together in 2019, Chase was the best vertical receiver in the nation. Chase earned a near-perfect PFF receiving grade (99.0) on targets of 20-plus yards and totaled 24 receptions, 860 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns on deep targets alone.

The rookie’s downfield prowess will be a major boost for Burrow, who said on The Cris Collinsworth Podcast the one thing lacking in the offense was the long ball. The blame doesn't solely rest on Burrow’s shoulders, as veteran A.J. Green was abysmal downfield. Green was considered open or wide open on just one of his 24 deep-ball targets.

AJ Green was "open" on just ONE of 24 targets downfield. ONE.

Downfield passing is the biggest weakness in Burrow's game last year, and we can see one of the main reasons why. I believe Chase will not only help stretch the defense, but will have a massive improvement over last year's performance on downfield passing numbers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree Green looked really bad last year, but I still don't put a lot of stock in these new stats about "separation" and "open".

What if a receiver has to slow down because a pass is underthrown?

And how do you determine if a receiver is "open" on a designed "back shoulder" throw.

The Bengal receiver who "created" the greatest amount of "separation" on his routes last year was Drew Sample.

Finally, can't blame Burrows deep ball problems on Green because Boyd and Higgins were not getting any deep receptions either.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm with Fred I don't know if I'm buying those separation stats. There was the long pass were AJ was wide open down the field and Burrow pulled a Dalton and chucked it thru the endzone. Then I can think of atleast a few they tried to connect on where yes AJ was covered but the ball wasn't out in front and I think probably under thrown.

I like Burrow and I hope the deep ball gets to a point that we can connect on some. But last year he was not good at throwing the deep ball. He really reminded me of Dalton in that regard where he just chucked it deep but didn't really have the touch on it.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree Green looked really bad last year, but I still don't put a lot of stock in these new stats about "separation" and "open".  

What if a receiver has to slow down because a pass is underthrown?

And how do you determine if a receiver is "open" on a designed "back shoulder" throw.

The Bengal receiver who "created" the greatest amount of "separation" on his routes last year was Drew Sample.

Finally, can't blame Burrows deep ball problems on Green because Boyd and Higgins were not getting any deep receptions either.

There are a lot of things at play on the lack of success of deep passes last year:  Protection, separation, being behind in most games, lack of a respectable rushing attack.  

However, the metrics on Green's ineptitude on downfield passes is the same as they evaluate every other receiver in the NFL and he was downright horrible in relation to them.  

Green was an amazing WR in most of his time here, but I thought it was an intriguing stat so I shared it.  
Reply/Quote
As a whole when you are at game you tend to have a better field view of passes and routes , and as a whole Burrow was not good in throwing deep regardless separation or not but you have other variables that made it worse, with a better line and deeper WR core we should improve unless Chase does not fix the drops lol..
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:58 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As a whole when you are at game you tend to have a better field view of passes and routes , and as a whole Burrow was not good in throwing deep regardless separation or not but you have other variables that made it worse, with a better line and deeper WR core we should improve unless Chase does not fix the drops lol..

I would rather have a ton of “dink and dunk” completions than more unsuccessful deep balls. Right now the Bengals are more successful when they play like Virgil Carter is behind center instead of Greg Cook. Let the receivers catch ten yard slants and then get as many yards after catch as possible.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would rather have a ton of “dink and dunk” completions than more unsuccessful deep balls.  Right now the Bengals are more successful when they play like Virgil Carter is behind center instead of Greg Cook.  Let the receivers catch ten yard slants and then get as many yards after catch as possible.

I would love an offense that drives the field and eats up a bunch of clock
Reply/Quote
I loved AJ, him and Chad are my two favorite players of all time, but hearing about how good he looks out in Arizona I have some serious questions about his effort here last season. Many times it looked like he was playing to not get injured. And he definitely wasn’t going up and getting balls he used to get in his sleep. But I guess that’s just par for the course with Bengal greats. It hardly ever ends well. Geno might be as close as it comes.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would rather have a ton of “dink and dunk” completions than more unsuccessful deep balls.  Right now the Bengals are more successful when they play like Virgil Carter is behind center instead of Greg Cook.  Let the receivers catch ten yard slants and then get as many yards after catch as possible.

Any post that mentions Greg Cook AND Virgil Carter gets rep from this old timer.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 01:55 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I would love an offense that drives the field and eats up a bunch of clock

eats up a bunch of what? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 04:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I loved AJ, him and Chad are my two favorite players of all time, but hearing about how good he looks out in Arizona I have some serious questions about his effort here last season. Many times it looked like he was playing to not get injured. And he definitely wasn’t going up and getting balls he used to get in his sleep. But I guess that’s just par for the course with Bengal greats. It hardly ever ends well. Geno might be as close as it comes.

It will be interesting to see how he fares this year.  That could just be training camp hype, but I wish him well regardless.  

And you are right about it rarely ending well, but I don't see that as exclusive to the Bengals.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 04:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I loved AJ, him and Chad are my two favorite players of all time, but hearing about how good he looks out in Arizona I have some serious questions about his effort here last season. Many times it looked like he was playing to not get injured. And he definitely wasn’t going up and getting balls he used to get in his sleep. But I guess that’s just par for the course with Bengal greats. It hardly ever ends well. Geno might be as close as it comes.

I hate to say this, but think about the position AJ was in.  He knew this team wasn't going anywhere.  He knew he didn't have a future in Cincinnati.  He was injured pretty much all season last year.  He's over 30, so why bust my ass to get hurt again when this team isn't going to the playoffs?  This is the worst stretch of football in Bengals history since 92-03.  Me personally, i wouldnt give less effort, but guys like Geno, Carlos, AJ, ect all had been winners the entire time they were in Cincy, and now the teams the laughing stock of the NFL.  

I hope AJ has a stellar year in Arizona this year.  I agree him and Chad are probably my 2 favorite WR of all time as Bengals, and I hope he can have another 2 or 3 years in the NFL and hopefully win a Super Bowl since he couldn't get it here in Cincy. 
Reply/Quote