Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase/Sewll - Part 2 of 3
So, this is part two of the three part Chase -vs- Sewell Civil War draft simulation. So this is a PFN no trade for the Bengals simulation with the selection of Chases at #5. From there I will try to provide value in filling what I feel from part 1 are pressing team needs. So here we go look forward to hearing from everyone.

Round 1 - 5th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.NS-kxM4HXoPrS84hUxcFUQHaEK&pid...=279&h=157]

Ja'Marr Chase - WR - LSU - 6'0" 201

He can do it all. He ran a blazing 4.38 time at his pro day along with a 41" vertical. Chase is elite at the position no doubt about it. The football world has seen what him and Burrow can do as a tandem and the chance to bring that north from the Bayou Bengals will make for an extremely dangerous passing game at the NFL level. To consider the trio of Chase, Boyd, and Higgins should absolutely have Burrow salivating and working on arm stamina.

Round 2 - 38th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.eS1fIXAa-nQMb2wjY7W9sgHaLH&pid...=300&h=300]

Ifeatu Melifonwu - CB - Syracuse - 6'2" 205

I have to admit that going into this selection I was zeroed in on an OL selection. When Meli was sitting there I could not pass on him. He brings what this team does not have at the CB position and that is a physically imposing figure. Ran a 4.48 at his pro day with a 41.5 vertical to go with his elite size and length at the position. Has shown better in man coverage than zone so should fit our scheme very well. Very smooth in transition and flipping his hips especially from a player his size. Needs to polish his game but that should has shown that he is coachable and has just continued to grow during his career.

Round 3 - 69th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.XPR1RdACQe0MLvBycYWqIAHaE8&pid...=268&h=180]

Quinn Meinerz - C/G - Wisconsin WhiteWater - 6'3" 320

Meinerz came off the couch to make an appearance at the Senior Bowl and showed quickly that it was not too big for him. Was consistently referred to as a top performer day in and day out during senior bowl practices and seemed to handle the best rushers on hand with relative ease. A powerful blocker that should make a bid for either the starting center or a starting guard position. Checks just about every box that you want checked on the interior of the line and brings position versatility. Will need to work on his movement skills but should bring certain upgrade to the interior of the line.

Round 4 - 111th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.3U-QgGs--N-S8qoUOL134QHaEK&pid...=274&h=155]

James Hudson - OT - Cincinnati - 6'4" 302

Hudson was a Michigan transfer and since arriving at UC has just continued to elevate his game. Plays with very functional football strength and sets a good anchor on the edge. Hudson has shown the qualities that could make him a good fit at either OT position with the option to work inside if they were looking to put the best five linemen on the field. As much a pick for the future as the here and now. Signing Reiff made a selection for development possible if Hudson needed a year to come off the bench. Should add quality depth at OT as a rookie and a long term starting option at either side in the future.

Round 5 - 149th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.lWfaPtw74eHGijtE-TKGuAHaE8&pid...=261&h=175]

Chauncey Golton - DE - Iowa - 6'4" 269

Golston has been very consistent at Iowa and is not a player that is on the ground often. Good hand usage at the position and a good first step. Is not fast off the edge but did run a 4.8 at his pro day. The one negative at this point is that Golston needs to improve his play strength which should help him and his ability to get off of blocks. Improved strength should be relatively easily added as he transitions to the NFL game. Should benefit from being a rotational player to start and a real strength could be the ability he showed at Iowa to move inside and rush on passing downs.

Round 6 - 190th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.tG4Zh9nCvhFjhX-7pdACdwHaFj&pid...=215&h=162]

Elijah Mitchell - RB - Louisiana Lafayette - 5'10" 201

A productive RB especially considering he was in a two back rushing attack. Showed very good straight line speed at his pro day posting a 4.32 in the 40. At his best going north and south and runs with good power yet showed the flash to be able to run around as well over defenders. Reports are that he is a better receiving option then he has been given credit for over his career. If he shows that he can be effective picking the blitz he could see play time early. Could prove a good option to relieve Mixon as well as take some snaps off his plate to keep him healthy.

Round 7 - 202nd Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.p6KTF6yM2TgLG3h_R6MC0wHaEJ&pid...=322&h=181]

Jack Anderson - OG - Texas Tech - 6'4" 309

A powerful blocker that plays to the whistle every down looking to put his defender on the ground. There is not a really elite facet to his game but at the same time there is not real weaknesses. Many of the knocks on Anderson seem to be poor habits and he could just be a victim of coaching at the collegiate level. A top line coach like Pollack should be thrilled to add a player like Anderson that shows up looking to compete and win on every snap. The interior of the line needed to improve and under the right coaching Anderson could be a part of that improvement down the road but provide immediate quality depth.

Round 7 - 235th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.GdQtSwzLYFOOTxTaoYyJUAHaD4&pid...=307&h=162]

Jose Borregales - K - Miami(Fla.) - 5'10" 207

Big time leg with a long of 57 and very accurate from long range. As a Bengals fan I am really tired of seeing games lost to kickers that cannot hit in the clutch or are unreliable from distance. Draft the kid here and give him a legit shot at the job rather than handing the job to veterans that just rotate around the league.

I think this draft is one that would serve the franchise well. Taking into account this is a simulation and the draft could shake out in many different ways, something close to this I would consider a real success for the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 04:07 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So, this is part two of the three part Chase -vs- Sewell Civil War draft simulation. So this is a PFN no trade for the Bengals simulation with the selection of Chases at #5. From there I will try to provide value in filling what I feel from part 1 are pressing team needs. So here we go look forward to hearing from everyone.

Round 1 - 5th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.NS-kxM4HXoPrS84hUxcFUQHaEK&pid...=279&h=157]

Ja'Marr Chase - WR - LSU - 6'0" 201

He can do it all. He ran a blazing 4.38 time at his pro day along with a 41" vertical. Chase is elite at the position no doubt about it. The football world has seen what him and Burrow can do as a tandem and the chance to bring that north from the Bayou Bengals will make for an extremely dangerous passing game at the NFL level. To consider the trio of Chase, Boyd, and Higgins should absolutely have Burrow salivating and working on arm stamina.

Round 2 - 38th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.eS1fIXAa-nQMb2wjY7W9sgHaLH&pid...=300&h=300]

Ifeatu Melifonwu - CB - Syracuse - 6'2" 205

I have to admit that going into this selection I was zeroed in on an OL selection. When Meli was sitting there I could not pass on him. He brings what this team does not have at the CB position and that is a physically imposing figure. Ran a 4.48 at his pro day with a 41.5 vertical to go with his elite size and length at the position. Has shown better in man coverage than zone so should fit our scheme very well. Very smooth in transition and flipping his hips especially from a player his size. Needs to polish his game but that should has shown that he is coachable and has just continued to grow during his career.

Round 3 - 69th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.XPR1RdACQe0MLvBycYWqIAHaE8&pid...=268&h=180]

Quinn Meinerz - C/G - Wisconsin WhiteWater - 6'3" 320

Meinerz came off the couch to make an appearance at the Senior Bowl and showed quickly that it was not too big for him. Was consistently referred to as a top performer day in and day out during senior bowl practices and seemed to handle the best rushers on hand with relative ease. A powerful blocker that should make a bid for either the starting center or a starting guard position. Checks just about every box that you want checked on the interior of the line and brings position versatility. Will need to work on his movement skills but should bring certain upgrade to the interior of the line.

Round 4 - 111th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.3U-QgGs--N-S8qoUOL134QHaEK&pid...=274&h=155]

James Hudson - OT - Cincinnati - 6'4" 302

Hudson was a Michigan transfer and since arriving at UC has just continued to elevate his game. Plays with very functional football strength and sets a good anchor on the edge. Hudson has shown the qualities that could make him a good fit at either OT position with the option to work inside if they were looking to put the best five linemen on the field. As much a pick for the future as the here and now. Signing Reiff made a selection for development possible if Hudson needed a year to come off the bench. Should add quality depth at OT as a rookie and a long term starting option at either side in the future.

Round 5 - 149th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.lWfaPtw74eHGijtE-TKGuAHaE8&pid...=261&h=175]

Chauncey Golton - DE - Iowa - 6'4" 269

Golston has been very consistent at Iowa and is not a player that is on the ground often. Good hand usage at the position and a good first step. Is not fast off the edge but did run a 4.8 at his pro day. The one negative at this point is that Golston needs to improve his play strength which should help him and his ability to get off of blocks. Improved strength should be relatively easily added as he transitions to the NFL game. Should benefit from being a rotational player to start and a real strength could be the ability he showed at Iowa to move inside and rush on passing downs.

Round 6 - 190th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.tG4Zh9nCvhFjhX-7pdACdwHaFj&pid...=215&h=162]

Elijah Mitchell - RB - Louisiana Lafayette - 5'10" 201

A productive RB especially considering he was in a two back rushing attack. Showed very good straight line speed at his pro day posting a 4.32 in the 40. At his best going north and south and runs with good power yet showed the flash to be able to run around as well over defenders. Reports are that he is a better receiving option then he has been given credit for over his career. If he shows that he can be effective picking the blitz he could see play time early. Could prove a good option to relieve Mixon as well as take some snaps off his plate to keep him healthy.

Round 7 - 202nd Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.p6KTF6yM2TgLG3h_R6MC0wHaEJ&pid...=322&h=181]

Jack Anderson - OG - Texas Tech - 6'4" 309

A powerful blocker that plays to the whistle every down looking to put his defender on the ground. There is not a really elite facet to his game but at the same time there is not real weaknesses. Many of the knocks on Anderson seem to be poor habits and he could just be a victim of coaching at the collegiate level. A top line coach like Pollack should be thrilled to add a player like Anderson that shows up looking to compete and win on every snap. The interior of the line needed to improve and under the right coaching Anderson could be a part of that improvement down the road but provide immediate quality depth.

Round 7 - 235th Overall Selection

[Image: th?id=OIP.GdQtSwzLYFOOTxTaoYyJUAHaD4&pid...=307&h=162]

Jose Borregales - K - Miami(Fla.) - 5'10" 207

Big time leg with a long of 57 and very accurate from long range. As a Bengals fan I am really tired of seeing games lost to kickers that cannot hit in the clutch or are unreliable from distance. Draft the kid here and give him a legit shot at the job rather than handing the job to veterans that just rotate around the league.

I think this draft is one that would serve the franchise well. Taking into account this is a simulation and the draft could shake out in many different ways, something close to this I would consider a real success for the team.

Corner in the second just really puts me off. We currently have seven CBs on the roster, and taking one high is just too much.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 04:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Corner in the second just really puts me off. We currently have seven CBs on the roster, and taking one high is just too much.

If Waynes, Awuzie, and/or Hilton were in the last year of their deals, I would say it would make more sense, but they all have 2+ years.
Waynes could be a cut candidate after this year though, as he'd free up $11 mill in cap. But if that's the case, just draft a CB early or get a new FA to replace next year.

Perhaps a DL in Rd 2 would be better.

Overall, a lot to like about this mock.

Meinerz makes me nervous coming from such a small school, but he impressed at Senior Bowl, so I get why people like him and have faith in him making the jump to NFL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 05:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Waynes, Awuzie, and/or Hilton were in the last year of their deals, I would say it would make more sense, but they all have 2+ years.
Waynes could be a cut candidate after this year though, as he'd free up $11 mill in cap. But if that's the case, just draft a CB early or get a new FA to replace next year.

Meinerz makes me nervous coming from such a small school, but he impressed at Senior Bowl, so I get why people like him and have faith in him making the jump to NFL.

Put Boogie in at round 2 and I'm fine with it
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 04:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Corner in the second just really puts me off. We currently have seven CBs on the roster, and taking one high is just too much.

So if we had seven WRs then we would not need to select one in the first round is your premise? Eli Apple is our biggest CB on the roster at 6'1" and in his 5 NFL seasons he has 3 INTs. 2019 his last real season was arguably the worst of his 5 NFL seasons. Then comes Trae Waynes at 6'0" who was out all of last season due to injury.

So tell me of the remaining five who excites you enough to pass on a talent like Meli? Maybe Tony Brown or the 5'9" slot corner Mike Hilton? Quantity and quality are vastly different, but I would love to hear a little more detail of how our talent at the position would make selection of a talent such as Meli if he were there.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 05:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Waynes, Awuzie, and/or Hilton were in the last year of their deals, I would say it would make more sense, but they all have 2+ years.

Years on deals make no difference to me in this situation. There is not a corner we have on our roster that I would take over the upside of Meli. Not one. Waynes is the corner I like most currently on our roster and outside of him I could see anyone of them getting cut.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 07:42 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So if we had seven WRs then we would not need to select one in the first round is your premise? Eli Apple is our biggest CB on the roster at 6'1" and in his 5 NFL seasons he has 3 INTs. 2019 his last real season was arguably the worst of his 5 NFL seasons. Then comes Trae Waynes at 6'0" who was out all of last season due to injury.

So tell me of the remaining five who excites you enough to pass on a talent like Meli? Maybe Tony Brown or the 5'9" slot corner Mike Hilton? Quantity and quality are vastly different, but I would love to hear a little more detail of how our talent at the position would make selection of a talent such as Meli if he were there.

I’m not concerned with size, which you certainly seem to be. I am completely fine with Hilton in the slot and while I am not a big fan of Waynes, Awuzie and Phillips (who I think was our best corner last year) are solid contributors on the outside. We are good enough there to not warrant taking a CB high.

Phillips allowed only 51.7% of passes to his target to be completed. This was good for 12th on the league, and he did it on 60 targets. Hilton allowed a 60 QB rating when being thrown at. Awuzie had the weakest season of them all, giving up 60% and 103 rating when being targeted.

If Chase is the pick at five, then the focus has to immediately shift to the trenches. What makes corners better? Pass rush, and we need edge rushers. Then, of course, what makes Burrow better? Offensive line. Protect the man. Grab an edge or OL in the second and the third.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not concerned with size, which you certainly seem to be. I am completely fine with Hilton in the slot and while I am not a big fan of Waynes, Awuzie and Phillips (who I think was our best corner last year) are solid contributors on the outside. We are good enough there to not warrant taking a CB high.

Phillips allowed only 51.7% of passes to his target to be completed. This was good for 12th on the league, and he did it on 60 targets. Hilton allowed a 60 QB rating when being thrown at. Awuzie had the weakest season of them all, giving up 60% and 103 rating when being targeted.

If Chase is the pick at five, then the focus has to immediately shift to the trenches. What makes corners better? Pass rush, and we need edge rushers. Then, of course, what makes Burrow better? Offensive line. Protect the man. Grab an edge or OL in the second and the third.

I agree with every bit of what you stated. However, size becomes more and more of a consideration when you look at the size of wide receivers and the mismatches that offenses are trying to create with WR type TEs. I am absolutely an advocate of building the trenches on each side of the ball and I believe that the lines are the core of a team on both sides of the ball.

I really like Phillips and believe he should be starting on the boundary on one side or the other. I would be thrilled it Apple could regain the form he had coming out of OSU but I certainly will not count on that. The reason I take Meli in this situation is because I don't believe it is sound philosophy for example to take player 7 in a position group over player 2 in a position group if the opportunity presents itself. 
Reply/Quote
If we don't take an OL in the first two rounds I will lose my shit.
Reply/Quote