Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase/Sewll - Part 3 of 3
Alright so this is the last of the trilogy and it has the Bengals taking Sewll at 5 under the same criteria as part 2. PFN simulation with no trades for the Bengals. Here we go...

Round 1 - 5th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0jIUQTuuX7SohShlMlOu...Q&usqp=CAU]

Penei Sewell - OT - Oregon - 6'5" 331

I believe consensus in the football world is that you protect a franchise QB, like Joe Burrow, at all costs. Sewell seems to be an insane prospect at the OT position and many feel a "can't miss prospect". Everything points to a 10 year Pro Bowl caliber OT. Character seems to be high and has stated if guard is necessary to get him on the field then he will play there. While it appears the Bengals would slot him to RT he gives the flexibility of playing LT at the same level of performance. One improvement he needs to make is that he really needs to play with more of a finishing demeanor and get a little bit more of a nasty side. No way could you fault the Bengals for this selection. Oh yeah he is only 20 years old and already this caliber.

Round 2 - 38th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkDb1BwLsu5wry-Yi-QzI...A&usqp=CAU]

Terrace Marshall Jr. - WR - LSU - 6'2" 205

Yes much has been made about Ja'Marr Chase and with good reason but Marshall Jr. is not nearly as far behind as some like to make him out to be. Bigger with the same speed. To get Sewell in the first and Marshall Jr. in the second is an absolute homerun. He brings all the measurements and abilities to the table that you are looking for in a highly productive NFL wide receiver and now it is up to him to put it all together and indications are that it should not be an issue. Adding the ability to exploit the vertical game with Boyd and Higgins could be huge for this offense.

Round 3 - 69th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqGNX6BrjMvjOLHjVfYCO...Q&usqp=CAU]

Quinn Meinerz - C/G - Wisconsin Whitewater - 6'3" 320

Again, the name of the game is protecting the franchise and Meinerz will be required to be more than a feel good story. The kid continues to impress in pre-draft workouts to cap off his dominant performance at the Senior Bowl where he stood up to every D1 defensive lineman the was put up against. It does not appear that the stage is too big for this young man and even with his Senior Bowl performance there may still be concern with previous talent level faced but Meinerz certainly appears to be driven and coachable and has shown the traits that can't be coached. Should compete for a day 1 position on the interior of this line be it at center or guard.

Round 4 - 111th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRheT_nW2JP7BgXc73q4ly...w&usqp=CAU]

Dayo Odeybingo - DE - Vanderbilt - 6'6" 275

It appears this is a case of premier talent being pushed down the boards because of the lack of medical evaluation that would normally occur at the combine. At this point this is a gamble well worth taking. Dayo has shown fringe elite traits when it comes to rushing the passer and that is from the edge as well as moving inside on obvious passing downs. A torn achilles is a rather routine injury in the NFL these days and worth the risk to get an edge player that brings the ceiling Dayo does. Explosive off of the snap with good functional play strength and should certainly get stronger in an NFL weight room. The traits to grow into a dominant 3 down defender on the edge.

Round 5 - 149th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGm3mvyhykDc7YbutAE6r...w&usqp=CAU]

Jonathan Marshall - DT - Arkansas - 6'3" 310

Put on a very good workout at his pro day with 36 reps and a 40 as low as 4.77. The consensus around the league is that, while putting up relatively good stats, Marshall was a victim of being played out of position at the collegiate level. Marshall played the 1 technique at Arkansas and evaluators throughout the NFL seem to agree that he is a natural 3 technique that could shine at the next level in that role. This is just the type of selection that could bring back visions of Geno as his strengths are much the same. Explosive off the ball and can change direction with suddenly and fluidly. Should immediately factor into the interior D line rotation. I really like this selection.

Round 6 - 190th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlLIVw9ehJO4oIMoDbXNZ...A&usqp=CAU]

Benjamin St-Juste - CB - Minnesota - 6'3" 202

At this point in the draft St-Juste comes as a very intriguing prospect. He checks the boxes you want checked to be a very solid boundary corner and does so with impressive size for the position. A sure tackler that is willing in the run game which is always a positive for an NFL corner. Not a burner with a 4.51 40 time at his pro day but has shown functional football speed. So with this size and abilities why is he still here? While he had good numbers in passes defended at the collegiate level he did not have a single INT. This would call into question his ball skills, however, being drafted as a corner and not a wide receiver. Ball skills can be taught and with all the other positives a risk I would be willing to make in round 6.

Round 7 - 202nd Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS-WCKAUa5YrGvYkQO7Sv...Q&usqp=CAU]

Jack Anderson - OG - Texas Tech - 6'4" 310

While it may be hard to pick out an elite part of his game it is equally as difficult to pick out a major weakness. Anderson is the type of interior line player that a line coach like Pollack should be very happy to add to the roster. Anderson is a powerful blocker that plays through the whistle and looks to end each snap with the defender on the ground. Has not shown outstanding footwork but those are technique issues that can be coached. Not an elite athlete but shows a high football IQ and functional athleticism in the trenches. Anderson at the least should be a very capable swing player off the bench that is experienced at guard and center but it would not shock me as well to see him push for a starting OG position. I see Anderson playing a long time in the league.

Round 7 - 235th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyfyys5qPlrHttI4CTJ8d...A&usqp=CAU]

Jose Borregales - K - Miami(Fla.) - 5'10" 206

When was the last time that this franchise had a kicker with a big leg beyond the 50 that could kick in the clutch? Who is tired of seeing FGs missed when it is actually important? It is time to improve this position and that means beyond journeymen kickers that just rotate around the league from team to team. This kid has been extremely accurate beyond 50 with a collegiate best of 57. Groza finalist in '18 and '19 and a winner in '20.

There you have it folks. For what it is worth in the Civil War or Chase and Sewell...this right here is the route I go and anything close to this would be huge for this franchise if you ask me. 

Again, this is a simulation and who knows how the draft will shake out but given the choices available at the time I really like this outcome.
Reply/Quote
Nice job, addresses several areas of need while remaining somewhat diligent to best player available. Obviously, as a fan who subscribes to the philosophy of building a football team from the inside out, I strongly prefer this draft over taking JaMar Chase in the 1st round.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Excellent work. Well reasoned and nice player info provided. I would be be extremely happy with this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Much, much, much better.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 11:38 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Alright so this is the last of the trilogy and it has the Bengals taking Sewll at 5 under the same criteria as part 2. PFN simulation with no trades for the Bengals. Here we go...

I believe consensus in the football world is that you protect a franchise QB, like Joe Burrow, at all costs. Sewell seems to be an insane prospect at the OT position and many feel a "can't miss prospect". Everything points to a 10 year Pro Bowl caliber OT. Character seems to be high and has stated if guard is necessary to get him on the field then he will play there. While it appears the Bengals would slot him to RT he gives the flexibility of playing LT at the same level of performance. One improvement he needs to make is that he really needs to play with more of a finishing demeanor and get a little bit more of a nasty side. No way could you fault the Bengals for this selection. Oh yeah he is only 20 years old and already this caliber.

Yes much has been made about Ja'Marr Chase and with good reason but Marshall Jr. is not nearly as far behind as some like to make him out to be. Bigger with the same speed. To get Sewell in the first and Marshall Jr. in the second is an absolute homerun. He brings all the measurements and abilities to the table that you are looking for in a highly productive NFL wide receiver and now it is up to him to put it all together and indications are that it should not be an issue. Adding the ability to exploit the vertical game with Boyd and Higgins could be huge for this offense.

Again, the name of the game is protecting the franchise and Meinerz will be required to be more than a feel good story. The kid continues to impress in pre-draft workouts to cap off his dominant performance at the Senior Bowl where he stood up to every D1 defensive lineman the was put up against. It does not appear that the stage is too big for this young man and even with his Senior Bowl performance there may still be concern with previous talent level faced but Meinerz certainly appears to be driven and coachable and has shown the traits that can't be coached. Should compete for a day 1 position on the interior of this line be it at center or guard.

It appears this is a case of premier talent being pushed down the boards because of the lack of medical evaluation that would normally occur at the combine. At this point this is a gamble well worth taking. Dayo has shown fringe elite traits when it comes to rushing the passer and that is from the edge as well as moving inside on obvious passing downs. A torn achilles is a rather routine injury in the NFL these days and worth the risk to get an edge player that brings the ceiling Dayo does. Explosive off of the snap with good functional play strength and should certainly get stronger in an NFL weight room. The traits to grow into a dominant 3 down defender on the edge.

Put on a very good workout at his pro day with 36 reps and a 40 as low as 4.77. The consensus around the league is that, while putting up relatively good stats, Marshall was a victim of being played out of position at the collegiate level. Marshall played the 1 technique at Arkansas and evaluators throughout the NFL seem to agree that he is a natural 3 technique that could shine at the next level in that role. This is just the type of selection that could bring back visions of Geno as his strengths are much the same. Explosive off the ball and can change direction with suddenly and fluidly. Should immediately factor into the interior D line rotation. I really like this selection.

At this point in the draft St-Juste comes as a very intriguing prospect. He checks the boxes you want checked to be a very solid boundary corner and does so with impressive size for the position. A sure tackler that is willing in the run game which is always a positive for an NFL corner. Not a burner with a 4.51 40 time at his pro day but has shown functional football speed. So with this size and abilities why is he still here? While he had good numbers in passes defended at the collegiate level he did not have a single INT. This would call into question his ball skills, however, being drafted as a corner and not a wide receiver. Ball skills can be taught and with all the other positives a risk I would be willing to make in round 6.

While it may be hard to pick out an elite part of his game it is equally as difficult to pick out a major weakness. Anderson is the type of interior line player that a line coach like Pollack should be very happy to add to the roster. Anderson is a powerful blocker that plays through the whistle and looks to end each snap with the defender on the ground. Has not shown outstanding footwork but those are technique issues that can be coached. Not an elite athlete but shows a high football IQ and functional athleticism in the trenches. Anderson at the least should be a very capable swing player off the bench that is experienced at guard and center but it would not shock me as well to see him push for a starting OG position. I see Anderson playing a long time in the league.

When was the last time that this franchise had a kicker with a big leg beyond the 50 that could kick in the clutch? Who is tired of seeing FGs missed when it is actually important? It is time to improve this position and that means beyond journeymen kickers that just rotate around the league from team to team. This kid has been extremely accurate beyond 50 with a collegiate best of 57. Groza finalist in '18 and '19 and a winner in '20.

There you have it folks. For what it is worth in the Civil War or Chase and Sewell...this right here is the route I go and anything close to this would be huge for this franchise if you ask me. 

Again, this is a simulation and who knows how the draft will shake out but given the choices available at the time I really like this outcome.

I like this a lot but one question? Who is your preferred WR if Marshall is gone in this scenario??
Reply/Quote
 Tiger Solid work!
I'm not a fan of drafting a cornerback and not addressing the safety depth first but I like the player you chose.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 01:52 PM)pulses Wrote: I like this a lot but one question? Who is your preferred WR if Marshall is gone in this scenario??

Just as with the draft that would depend how other things are falling and who is available. There really is not a wide out I would take in the second if Marshall were not there at 38. I would probably try gauge the board and make a selection a round or two later looking toward receivers such Dyami Brown, Nico Collins, and if you are really looking for a burner with decent size then Anthony Schwartz.

Many seem caught up with speed at the position and I feel they are greatly overrating that aspect of the position. vast majority of the best receivers in history would not have been considered speed demons.

I also feel there could be some value very late in the draft in guys like Trevon Grimes, Tamorrion Terry, Osirus Mitchell, to name a few.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 03:36 PM)Emeritus Wrote:  Tiger Solid work!
I'm not a fan of drafting a cornerback and not addressing the safety depth first but I like the player you chose.

I like our safety situation personally. Bell and Wilson are both just 26 and Bates is 24. I feel like Henderson is a guy that could certainly take the 4th spot at safety. I also feel that guys like Awuzie and Apple could both transition over to the safety position.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 11:49 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Excellent work.  Well reasoned and nice player info provided.  I would be be extremely happy with this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 11:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice job, addresses several areas of need while remaining somewhat diligent to best player available.  Obviously, as a fan who subscribes to the philosophy of building a football team from the inside out, I strongly prefer this draft over taking JaMar Chase in the 1st round.

In this we are in agreement Sunset. I believe teams are built in the trenches on both sides of the ball and if it were up to me the choice would be Sewell or Slater at #5.
Reply/Quote
This would be my dream draft here! I agree with the current situation of our DB's. We should find one of them capable if we need them later in the season. I've had my eye on the DT from Arkansas, gonna be a beast.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 07:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This would be my dream draft here! I agree with the current situation of our DB's. We should find one of them capable if we need them later in the season. I've had my eye on the DT from Arkansas, gonna be a beast.

Agreed, notice how the "receiver in the 1st" crowd has remained silent on this mock?  It's because deep in their hearts, they know that this is the route to go.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 04:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Just as with the draft that would depend how other things are falling and who is available. There really is not a wide out I would take in the second if Marshall were not there at 38. I would probably try gauge the board and make a selection a round or two later looking toward receivers such Dyami Brown, Nico Collins, and if you are really looking for a burner with decent size then Anthony Schwartz.

Many seem caught up with speed at the position and I feel they are greatly overrating that aspect of the position. vast majority of the best receivers in history would not have been considered speed demons.

I also feel there could be some value very late in the draft in guys like Trevon Grimes, Tamorrion Terry, Osirus Mitchell, to name a few.
I would take Bateman there if we was to fall. Or possibly Dyami Brown.  Their are some late round values like you said tho no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 07:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This would be my dream draft here! I agree with the current situation of our DB's. We should find one of them capable if we need them later in the season. I've had my eye on the DT from Arkansas, gonna be a beast.

All the info I can find on Marshall from Arkansas is extremely positive and evaluators seem rather excited at the possibility of him playing the 3 technique rather than being out of position at the 1. I have not heard anything at all negative about his character and from all I can find appears to be a class kid.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 11:38 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Alright so this is the last of the trilogy and it has the Bengals taking Sewll at 5 under the same criteria as part 2. PFN simulation with no trades for the Bengals. Here we go...

I like this draft. One of my favs on here so far. Good job OSUfan
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2021, 11:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice job, addresses several areas of need while remaining somewhat diligent to best player available.  Obviously, as a fan who subscribes to the philosophy of building a football team from the inside out, I strongly prefer this draft over taking JaMar Chase in the 1st round.

Except I don't think Marshall is going to be there at 38.

If they don't take Chase this would be the best scenario if it happened.

Unless they move up to grab him this is improbable IMO.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2021, 11:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Except I don't think Marshall is going to be there at 38.

If they don't take Chase this would be the best scenario if it happened.

Unless they move up to grab him this is improbable IMO.

Well as improbable as it may seem this was a simulation and not just a choice I made. Simulations just like the actual draft can shake out many different ways. I think he could as easily be there are not be there. If he is not there then you take the best player available in accordance with value of need.
Reply/Quote
This is about as good as it gets honestly. Great job and hope it goes like this.

I don't think Marshall makes it to 38 nor Meinerz makes it to us in the 3rd but this would be fantastic.

Love the other Marshall pick at DT from Arkansas and love the Dayo Odeybingo pick too.

Rock On
Reply/Quote