Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase Young or Joe Burrow ?
(11-27-2019, 11:14 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: True -- and I'm not suggesting the Bengals bring them back.  My point is our current secondary is freakin' horrible.

Yep, and the whole cornerback group only has contracts through this next season which means we have to start trying to rebuild that group too.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 11:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nelson was traded for not an FA.

Thank you for the correction but, in my defense, I forgot the Bengals knew how to trade.  HAHA!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 11:16 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Thank you for the correction but, in my defense, I forgot the Bengals knew how to trade.  HAHA!

I mean it was kind of a bargain bin trade too at the time. Sometimes lottery tickets pay out though. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 11:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yep, and the whole cornerback group only has contracts through this next season which means we have to start trying to rebuild that group too.

I'm not sure I'm ready to throw Bates and Jackson away just yet but besides them yes.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 11:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yep, and the whole cornerback group only has contracts through this next season which means we have to start trying to rebuild that group too.

I'm hoping Darius Phillip's comes back soon so we can see a few more games out of him. He has been very good when he plays.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Dantzler it a good CB for mid rounds. He is pretty damn good.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 12:16 AM)J24 Wrote: We should use free agency but let's be realistic here were not going to sign 3 or 4 big name guys this year even if the "family" bugdes on not signing anyone. It's more likely we would sign one or two major guys.

For Example Bengals sign Jack Cronin at RT  and trade the first pick in the draft to Atlanta for the 6th overall pick, Deion Jones, Two 2nd RD picks in 2020, a first in 2021, and a 2022 2nd RD. 

If a trade like that were to happen then you are looking at getting two starters at our weakest positions, 2 more potential starters in this draft then previously, and future draft capital that could be used to trade up for a QB in case we don't like the one we got.

By the way I'm not saying that trade haul is realistic or enough for the first Overall pick just using that as an example.

We don't need 3-4 guys, at least not on the o-line. We could sign 2 solid starters, get back Jonah and we'd be in WAY better shape. The reason the top 3 picks garner so much in return is that those players at the top often have the most potential to be franchise changers. I wouldn't give that up. If we trade down and net a bunch of picks, that may sound nice to some people, but when will we ever be in this position (to take a top QB) again?

Basically, even if this works the way you want it to, we'd just have a better roster, but no QB. I'd just rather hang on to that QB and find other ways to improve the roster. We'll still have a bunch of good picks + upwards of $100 million in cap space. This roster can be reshaped in a major way without sacrificing that rare chance at the top QB prospect.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 07:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We don't need 3-4 guys, at least not on the o-line. We could sign 2 solid starters, get back Jonah and we'd be in WAY better shape. 

That train of thought would work if MB would try to sign higher priced FAs instead of waiting until all the top ones are gone and only scrapes the bottom of the bargain basement. If they haven't signed anyone by draft day then expect to hear how great a draft they had and things are coming up roses.
Reply/Quote
Great Article on Joe Burrow.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/26/joe-burrow-lsu-tigers-nfl

Here is a part of it.

Quote:Each Monday at the football facility, he is involved in a film-based exam of the next opponent, a test in which he must identify protection calls he’ll have to make. That means his Sundays are filled with film study. On Mondays and Tuesdays of game week, he meets with Joe Brady and offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger to pitch them his ideas on how to attack the next opponent. He pitches them ideas.

The two coaches trust their quarterback with presnap play calls; he’ll often change receiver routes based on defensive formations. “We might see it better than they do in the box or on the sideline,” Burrow says. “If I see something and want to check a play, I go do it.”
“He’s basically like a co-offensive coordinator,” Herbstreit says. “That’s the NFL model, when you have a quarterback able to invest and communicate at that level. Joe is the cutting edge of that mold. When I watch LSU, it’s not just Joe Brady’s offense—it’s Joe Brady and Joe Burrow’s offense.”
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 08:40 PM)Synric Wrote: Great Article on Joe Burrow.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/26/joe-burrow-lsu-tigers-nfl

Here is a part of it.

Please take this kid. Please take this kid...

Reply/Quote
Chase young no question
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Dantzler it a good CB for mid rounds. He is pretty damn good.

Lamar Jackson from Nebraska
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 07:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We don't need 3-4 guys, at least not on the o-line. We could sign 2 solid starters, get back Jonah and we'd be in WAY better shape. The reason the top 3 picks garner so much in return is that those players at the top often have the most potential to be franchise changers. I wouldn't give that up. If we trade down and net a bunch of picks, that may sound nice to some people, but when will we ever be in this position (to take a top QB) again?

Basically, even if this works the way you want it to, we'd just have a better roster, but no QB. I'd just rather hang on to that QB and find other ways to improve the roster. We'll still have a bunch of good picks + upwards of $100 million in cap space. This roster can be reshaped in a major way without sacrificing that rare chance at the top QB prospect.

Why do we have to have a top 3 pick to get another QB? I can think of multiple franchise QB that have been drafted outside of the first RD or late in first RD.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 12:39 AM)J24 Wrote: Why do we have to have a top 3 pick to get another QB? I can think of multiple franchise QB that have been drafted outside of the first RD or late in first RD.

As poorly as I’ve seen the Bengals’ defense play since Mike Zimmer left, it’s time to concentrate on getting some elite players on that side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 12:45 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As poorly as I’ve seen the Bengals’ defense play since Mike Zimmer left, it’s time to concentrate on getting some elite players on that side of the ball.

As poorly as I’ve seen the Bengals offense play since Hue Jackson left, it’s time to concentrate on getting some elite players on that side of the ball.

At least we’ve seen guys like Hubbard, Bates, Billings, WJ3, etc show some flashes of being very good players. On offense it’s been Boyd, Mixon, and a whole lot of nothing else the past few years.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 02:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: As poorly as I’ve seen the Bengals offense play since Hue Jackson left, it’s time to concentrate on getting some elite players on that side of the ball.

At least we’ve seen guys like Hubbard, Bates, Billings, WJ3, etc show some flashes of being very good players. On offense it’s been Boyd, Mixon, and a whole lot of nothing else the past few years.

We're what 6 starters(WLB, MLB, SS, RT, LG, QB) at least away from being a whole team and depending on who we lose in free agency  could make more needs. This team has to do everything in it's power to get better. 
If that's drafting a QB first Overall fine but they have to be open to other possibilities that can make this team better + use all elements to aquire talent.
Is it really inconceivable to say we can get a franchise QB in the late first or 2nd? Especially when you consider that the best QBs in this league Prescott, Wilson, Cousins, and Jackson have been drafted 32nd or after.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 02:40 AM)J24 Wrote: We're what 6 starters(WLB, MLB, SS, RT, LG, QB) at least away from being a whole team and depending on who we lose in free agency  could make more needs. This team has to do everything in it's power to get better. 
If that's drafting a QB first Overall fine but they have to be open to other possibilities that can make this team better + use all elements to aquire talent.
Is it really inconceivable to say we can get a franchise QB in the late first or 2nd? Especially when you consider that the best QBs in this league Prescott, Wilson, Cousins, and Jackson have been drafted 32nd or after.

You’re leaving out a couple guys when talking about the best QB’s in the league right now, mainly Mahomes and Watson (but also Rodgers). All 1st rounders. Could we find a Wilson or Brady in the later rounds? It’s obviously possible, but that doesn’t mean it’s likely. Especially given our minuscule scouting department. I’d rather go with the more known prospect that’s at the top of everyone’s boards.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 02:40 AM)J24 Wrote: We're what 6 starters(WLB, MLB, SS, RT, LG, QB) at least away from being a whole team and depending on who we lose in free agency  could make more needs. This team has to do everything in it's power to get better. 

Do you want to be 6 or so starters away with a potential grand slam franchise QB, or do you want to be 5 or so starters away with a hope and a prayer at QB?  Which situation has more potential for light at the end of the tunnel?  Which situation is more likely to be rectified by drafting down in future drafts and/or acquiring a lot of undervalued free agents?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 12:39 AM)J24 Wrote: Why do we have to have a top 3 pick to get another QB? I can think of multiple franchise QB that have been drafted outside of the first RD or late in first RD.

For every 1 you name drafted late first or outside the first I can name at least 3 that have busted. If they have a shot at a franchise star QB you take it no matter what because QB is the most important and hardest position to draft. 

Is Joe Burrow that guy? Its pointing that way but there is alot of college football left and a few great defenses he has to prove himself against (Even though he's beat Auburn, Alabama, and Florida all top defenses). If he comes through the SEC Championship and the CFB playoffs looking like he has then you take him. If he has issues on the big stage Chase Young is an excellent consolation prize.

LSU isnt likely to win the National Championship because they don't have the overall team that Clemson and Ohio State have...their defense is struggling and their offensive line has issues in pass protection. LSU is a top 4 team because of Joe Burrow...Keep that in mind.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:39 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Chase Young no question

Absolutely. What does every championship team have? A shutdown defense. The Bengals have done less than nothing to address that side of the ball since Mike Zimmer left.
Reply/Quote