Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase Young out of the Draft
(12-20-2019, 04:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Georgia is #2 Alabama is #15 Auburn #13 and Florida #8. 

And that is all of college football rankings it does take into account the differences in Conferences.

Right, but stats are so difficult in college football because it disregards the fact Alabama played Duke/New Mexico State/ Southern Miss and West Carolina Catamounts which all scored a combined 23 over 4 games which is 5.75 points per game. Once it actually played real teams they allowed 203 over 8 or 25.375 points per game. Alabama's defense was not a good defense this year they simply averaged down against really bad teams.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right, but stats are so difficult in college football because it disregards the fact Alabama played Duke/New Mexico State/ Southern Miss and West Carolina Catamounts which all scored a combined 23 over 4 games which is 5.75 points per game. Once it actually played real teams they allowed 203 over 8 or 25.375 points per game. Alabama's defense was not a good defense this year they simply averaged down against really bad teams.

There is truth to that but it's true for most teams like Wisconsin that shut out Central Michigan and South Florida.

I was just pointing out that I wouldnt say teams in the MWC like San Diego State ranked 4th and Wyoming ranked 11th over like Auburn. I could argue the two Pac-12 teams too but that would be a little more difficult.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:50 PM)Synric Wrote: There is truth to that but it's true for most teams like Wisconsin that shut out Central Michigan and South Florida.

I was just pointing out that I wouldnt say teams in the MWC like San Diego State ranked 4th and Wyoming ranked 11th over like Auburn. I could argue the two Pac-12 teams too but that would be a little more difficult.

No argument there, that's why I wish they would do some deep dives in this stuff and do total defensive leaders based on games played against teams with winning records. Surface level stats always convolute a lot of these discussions. The eye test alone will tell you though that Alabama's defense this year was not good.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right, but stats are so difficult in college football because it disregards the fact Alabama played Duke/New Mexico State/ Southern Miss and West Carolina Catamounts which all scored a combined 23 over 4 games which is 5.75 points per game. Once it actually played real teams they allowed 203 over 8 or 25.375 points per game. Alabama's defense was not a good defense this year they simply averaged down against really bad teams.

This and the same can be said for Georgia and Florida.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:55 PM)cinci4life Wrote: This and the same can be said for Georgia and Florida.

Well offensive juggernauts like Rutgers and Maryland can only play so many games a year.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: No argument there, that's why I wish they would do some deep dives in this stuff and do total defensive leaders based on games played against teams with winning records. Surface level stats always convolute a lot of these discussions. The eye test alone will tell you though that Alabama's defense this year was not good.

Every team plays scrub teams. Alabama had a down year with their D, but it was a down year for Alabama.  There's 90 or more D1 colleges that would like to have that defense.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 05:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well offensive juggernauts like Rutgers and Maryland can only play so many games a year.

At least tOSU can beat those garbage teams unlike Georgia.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 05:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: Every team plays scrub teams. Alabama had a down year with their D, but it was a down year for Alabama.  There's 90 or more D1 colleges that would like to have that defense.  

Again, I don't really think there are. It's not just "every team plays scrub teams" they play 4 every year outside of the conference, and considering most league require 9 conference games instead of the SEC 8 that definitely adds to it. They surrendered far too many big plays, not just for an Bama defense but for any defense. Essentially anytime they played an offense who was in the upper half nationally they gave up 23+ points.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:45 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Easy there. They only played one game against a team with an actual defense in Auburn and barely won 23-20. If and when they play tOSU in the title game, they will face a defense like they've yet to see this year. Also LSU's defense sucks and tOSU scores 30+ a game. If this game happens, tOSU has a very good chance to win.

Georgia and Alabama?  Georgia was #2, Alabama #15 and Auburn was #13.  I underestimated LSU too at first.  I never thought they'd beat Alabama with Tua playing and they did.  They are going to win it all this year.  IF, and it's a big IF, Ohio State beats Clemson, they will not get past LSU.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 05:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again, I don't really think there are. It's not just "every team plays scrub teams" they play 4 every year outside of the conference, and considering most league require 9 conference games instead of the SEC 8 that definitely adds to it. They surrendered far too many big plays, not just for an Bama defense but for any defense. Essentially anytime they played an offense who was in the upper half nationally they gave up 23+ points.

Against LSU and Auburn, they got waxed, but the scores in the other games can attributed to letting up with the game in hand.  Ol Miss but 31 on them, but bama was up 45-10 in the 3rd.  South Carolina was down 34-13 before scoring 10 in the 4th.  A&M scored 15 late after falling behind 34-13.  They are not a National Title level defense, but they are not bad compared to all of D1.  If they win the SEC, they're automatically going to the CFP, so there's not the motivation to hold the score down to help compensate for potential losses

To me, the 8 conference games is offset by the SEC still being the toughest conference on average year after year.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 05:42 PM)cinci4life Wrote: At least tOSU can beat those garbage teams unlike Georgia.

Yeah...cuz OSU always takes care of business against those mid tier conference opponents like Purdue....
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 06:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah...cuz OSU always takes care of business against those mid tier conference opponents like Purdue....

And what exactly does the past have to do with this year?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 06:48 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Georgia and Alabama?  Georgia was #2, Alabama #15 and Auburn was #13.  I underestimated LSU too at first.  I never thought they'd beat Alabama with Tua playing and they did.  They are going to win it all this year.  IF, and it's a big IF, Ohio State beats Clemson, they will not get past LSU.  

Just like they weren't supposed to get past Bama and Oregon in 2014?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 05:42 PM)cinci4life Wrote: At least tOSU can beat those garbage teams unlike Georgia.

Ohio State has a bigger player payroll than the Bengals, they should win. Young makes more than AJ Green.

He is not happy to take a pay cut.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 06:48 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Georgia and Alabama?  Georgia was #2, Alabama #15 and Auburn was #13.  I underestimated LSU too at first.  I never thought they'd beat Alabama with Tua playing and they did.  They are going to win it all this year.  IF, and it's a big IF, Ohio State beats Clemson, they will not get past LSU.  

Tell me why not? Osu has a better offense and much much much better defense
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 07:49 PM)cinci4life Wrote: And what exactly does the past have to do with this year?

(12-20-2019, 07:52 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Just like they weren't supposed to get past Bama and Oregon in 2014?

The irony.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 08:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: The irony.

Not really.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:45 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Easy there. They only played one game against a team with an actual defense in Auburn and barely won 23-20. If and when they play tOSU in the title game, they will face a defense like they've yet to see this year. Also LSU's defense sucks and tOSU scores 30+ a game. If this game happens, tOSU has a very good chance to win.

Easy there, you might want to pay a little closer attention to College Football, before making knee-jerk claims like that.

(12-20-2019, 04:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Georgia is #2 Alabama is #15 Auburn #13 and Florida #8. 

And that is all of college football rankings it doesnt take into account the differences in Conferences.

This, LSU's offense has proven to be able to find ways to beat some of the stoutest defenses in the Nation.  If OSU and LSU do end up facing off in the title game?  I would expect a 52-49 type if game, whichever way it goes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

(12-20-2019, 08:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Easy there, you might want to pay a little closer attention to College Football, before making knee-jerk claims like that.

This, LSU's offense has proven to be able to find ways to beat some of the stoutest defenses in the Nation.  If OSU and LSU do end up facing off in the title game?  I would expect a 52-49 type if game, whichever way it goes.
As AU165 alluded, when most of your schedule is cupcakes/FCS teams the numbers can make a teams defense look far better than it is but also how not good they are when they lose to one of those cupcakes like Georgia did.
Reply/Quote
Thing is OSU and Clemson's defenses have seen alot of Horizontal offenses in the Big10 and ACC. Even the highly rated Wisconsin is a horizontal offense. LSU has seen more pro style offenses but struggled early even though they are played alot better recently.

I can see any of the three winning the National Championship..but it would make better underdog story for Joe Burrow to light up OSU in the title game.   Cool
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote