Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Chase about to send shockwaves thru NFL from the Slot.
I've always felt this is Chase's true calling in the NFL from the Slot WR.  With teams double teaming team him, while out on an island at WR, it always made sense to me to put him in the Slot so he could move around and try to create a mismatch.  Burton reminds me so much of Chris Henry and will provide the deep verticle threats along with TEE Higgins.  We just have to see how fast our O-Line can get up to speed to allow Joey time to dissect defenses.  Having Drew Sample in the backfield at H should help as an extra blocker and a check-down option.  I'm starting to get excited about this year's team!

WHO DEY!!
Don't mock kids who believe in Santa, while adults still believe in Fox News.  

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 03:56 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I've always felt this is Chase's true calling in the NFL from the Slot WR.  With teams double teaming team him, while out on an island at WR, it always made sense to me to put him in the Slot so he could move around and try to create a mismatch.  Burton reminds me so much of Chris Henry and will provide the deep verticle threats along with TEE Higgins.  We just have to see how fast our O-Line can get up to speed to allow Joey time to dissect defenses.  Having Drew Sample in the backfield at H should help as an extra blocker and a check-down option.  I'm starting to get excited about this year's team!

WHO DEY!!

Yeah, we were talking about this in your Tyler Boyd thread. Ja'Marr is so much quicker in and out of his breaks than Boyd and has great
balance along with his strength, very hard to tackle. He could honestly be the best Slot WR ever, I liked Boyd but him leaving and us drafting
Burton allowed for Ja'Marr to be moved to the Slot much more often and less we forget his best game ever was against the Chiefs and he 
was playing in the Slot a ton in that game.

Ja'Marr Chase in the Slot is a crazy mismatch against any Defense. He is too strong for Slot Corners and too fast for Linebackers.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we were talking about this in your Tyler Boyd thread. Ja'Marr is so much quicker in and out of his breaks than Boyd and has great
balance along with his strength, very hard to tackle. He could honestly be the best Slot WR ever, I liked Boyd but him leaving and us drafting
Burton allowed for Ja'Marr to be moved to the Slot much more often and less we forget his best game ever was against the Chiefs and he 
was playing in the Slot a ton in that game.

Ja'Marr Chase in the Slot is a crazy mismatch against any Defense. He is too strong for Slot Corners and too fast for Linebackers.

There's more activity here in Jungle Noise to discuss this strategy. 

Reply/Quote
If only he was at OTAs working w/ Burton.

I did love seeing Burrow trying to help Burton on route technique.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 03:56 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I've always felt this is Chase's true calling in the NFL from the Slot WR.  With teams double teaming team him, while out on an island at WR, it always made sense to me to put him in the Slot so he could move around and try to create a mismatch.  Burton reminds me so much of Chris Henry and will provide the deep verticle threats along with TEE Higgins.  We just have to see how fast our O-Line can get up to speed to allow Joey time to dissect defenses.  Having Drew Sample in the backfield at H should help as an extra blocker and a check-down option.  I'm starting to get excited about this year's team!

WHO DEY!!

He and Gesicki will be on the slot a lot.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Agree with the OP and the comments so far. I think/hope Chase in the slot happens a lot more.

We have hardly ever seen it with Boyd here. Chase even made a comment about the coaches not trusting him there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ja-marr-chase-on-his-favorite-route-and-earning-trust-from-bengals-coaches/ar-BB1iNfUD

But I always thought it made some sense. And thought, in the draft, we could take a bigger WR (Thomas, Coleman) rather than a straight slot guy to replace Boyd (Wilson, Corley, etc). And then that guy could potentially replace Highins down the road.

That is kinda what we did with Burton. He played some slot, but more wide. Gesicki & Hudson are more slit WRs than TEs. And Jones & Irwin can play there as well.

I just hope we will be more unpredictable now. Personnel. Alignments. Shotgun or under center. Run or pass.
Reply/Quote
Why does Burton remind me more of a cheap man’s Chase? He doesn’t remind me of Chris Henry at all. I have high hopes for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 07:15 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Why does Burton remind me more of a cheap man’s Chase? He doesn’t remind me of Chris Henry at all. I have high hopes for him.

Dan Hoard said Burton reminds him of Steve Smith, so that definitely sounds more like Chase than Henry to me.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 07:15 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Why does Burton remind me more of a cheap man’s Chase? He doesn’t remind me of Chris Henry at all. I have high hopes for him.

He's shorter than Henry, measureables of athleticism the same as Chase and not Henry, he reminds me of a smaller deep-threat guy, like Golden Tate or T.Y. Hilton
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
We have a very smart QB, DC's will forced to make calls and Joey B. will figure out the weakness.

Love that Chase can play in the slot, and we also have other options.

I may be wrong, but I think Burton and Gesicki will help Tee and Jamar have great years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

WHO DEY!!

Nothing like Chris Henry except speed, and lack of a route tree.

I mentioned in previous posts where I was hopeful he could fill a similar role year one or two, but think he has more potential.

Chris Henry was an idiot, made tons of poor choices, and I still wish he was smarter.

I recall breaking the story of him and Odelll riding drunk on the old Bengals board.

What could have been.

Pollack doesn't get the neck injury. Odell stay sober, and Henry stays out of the back of that pick up truck....

man
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 07:30 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's shorter than Henry, measureables of athleticism the same as Chase and not Henry, he reminds me of a smaller deep-threat guy, like Golden Tate or T.Y. Hilton

Burton is a couple inches taller than both those guys though.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 07:15 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Why does Burton remind me more of a cheap man’s Chase? He doesn’t remind me of Chris Henry at all. I have high hopes for him.

I have been wondering about the comparison to Henry myself?? He is more built like Chase with his thick lower body.
Reply/Quote
Burton reminds me of Odell or Steve Smith. He’s gonna be solid.

Love our wideouts. Burton was a steal in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 08:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burton is a couple inches taller than both those guys though.

Absolutely is. He just reminds me more of a smaller guy like that, even though he is taller, that's all.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 11:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have been wondering about the comparison to Henry myself?? He is more built like Chase with his thick lower body.

By being a deep verticle player with blazing speed and a cocky attitude to go with it.  It's more Burton's deep speed and moxie that reminds me of Henry.  This is going to be a good offense.  I'm just hoping his attitude doesn't cause the same problems Henry's did.

Reply/Quote
Burton and Chase are both a lot like Steve Smith of the Panthers from back in the day except they are taller. Both tough as
nails with great quicks, speed and can track the ball as good as anyone. Burton is also very good on the sideline with his body
control which is what you need with an outside WR. No wonder Zac was so excited when we landed Jermaine Burton.

We needed an outside WR. I liked a lot of WR's in this draft but most of them were Slot WR's and this should be Chase's spot
most of the time and we have Chuck Sizzle who is also a Slot WR. Iosivas should get a ton of snaps with Tee not being at camp
so he could really improve this Offseason working with Burrow as well.

Really like our WR room this year, we are upgraded especially with explosiveness.
Reply/Quote
If that helps move the chains, then so be it, but Chase is still young and speedy, we can have someone else at slot and force defense to double up with Chase on the wide out, before he ages like Green and fades out. What does this do? this will open up the field for our RBs, who we have a ? mark as to how that is gonna play out.
Reply/Quote
Nice thing about this flexibility is as he gets closer to 30 and loses a half step he can dominate from the slot. Chad and AJ weren't as built for it
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2024, 02:27 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If that helps move the chains, then so be it, but Chase is still young and speedy, we can have someone else at slot and force defense to double up with Chase on the wide out, before he ages like Green and fades out. What does this do? this will open up the field for our RBs, who we have a ? mark as to how that is gonna play out.

It is nice to just have the options we have honestly. We still can use Chase on the outside to get mismatches as well.

(05-26-2024, 03:25 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Nice thing about this flexibility is as he gets closer to 30 and loses a half step he can dominate from the slot. Chad and AJ weren't as built for it

Spot on, but Chase is a tough mutha, I think he will be fine in the Slot more as he knows how to avoid hits.

Chad, AJ and Tee were/are pure outside WR's.
Reply/Quote