Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase mentions a halftime adjustment
Quote:And then, there was the second-half tone-setter, with Chase coming wide open down the left sideline for a 69-yard touchdown on the third play after the break, which really got the Bengals in shouting distance, the deficit cut to 28–24. “They were in Cover 2, and the safeties weren’t getting off the hash—they weren’t wide enough off the hash,” Chase said. “That was from one of our directives at halftime, so we came out, that was one of the first plays we called after halftime. Watched the safety sit on the hash, and Joe threw it away from him.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/03/mmqb-week-17-bengals-titans-clinch-divsisions-daily-cover

So, the Bengals noticed that the safeties weren't getting wide enough on their cover 2 looks during half time and they....adjusted...during halftime.

This is why I like Zac Taylor. While I have been critical of his play calling this year, he has definitely improved, especially in these last two games and if something isn't working, he changes it. He makes the mythical (according to Marvin Lewis) adjustments at half time.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor and Brian "Not Bill" Callahan have done a great job adjusting to defenses pretty much all year. It has been the slow starts from the scripted gameplan that's been ugly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Journalistic Jargon

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 02:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/03/mmqb-week-17-bengals-titans-clinch-divsisions-daily-cover

So, the Bengals noticed that the safeties weren't getting wide enough on their cover 2 looks during half time and they....adjusted...during halftime.

This is why I like Zac Taylor. While I have been critical of his play calling this year, he has definitely improved, especially in these last two games and if something isn't working, he changes it. He makes the mythical (according to Marvin Lewis) adjustments at half time.

I think the reason a lot of us have had such a distain for Taylor is we wanted and expected someone as good or better than Marvin Lewis right when they came in. We did not want a decline in performance. We've had to suffer through a terrible two years as a fresh HC (and frankly inexperienced play caller) learned "on the job."

Now, we're seeing signs of improvement and hopefully a trajectory that will surpass his predecessor.

Think of like going from a mid-level solid contributor at work to bringing in a junior-level resource as a replacement.
They're likely going to do worse for at least a couple years, but the reason for hiring the individual is because the leadership saw something in that person that they didn't see in the former person.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 02:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Journalistic Jargon

Yep, doesn't exist lol
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, doesn't exist lol

Because Marvin did not feel he had to wait until halftime to make an adjustment.

During his tenure as head coach Marvin was in the top half of the league in winning percentage in games that he trailed and had to come from behind to win.

During Zac's tenure he is 25th out of 32.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because Marvin did not feel he had to wait until halftime to make an adjustment.

During his tenure as head coach Marvin was in the top half of the league in winning percentage in games that he trailed and had to come from behind to win.

And yet here we are in the playoffs with a game to spare. If Zac wins a playoff game, that will be a huge one-up on Marv as HC. Or do you think Zac will pull a Marv and go away from what got them into the playoffs in the first place?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because Marvin did not feel he had to wait until halftime to make an adjustment.

The Bengals scored on their final 3 drives of the half yesterday.  So they found something before halftime.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 04:27 PM)Interceptor Wrote: And yet here we are in the playoffs with a game to spare. If Zac wins a playoff game, that will be a huge one-up on Marv as HC. Or do you think Zac will pull a Marv and go away from what got them into the playoffs in the first place?

I hope that Zac wins in the postseason, but I have no idea what he will do.  Did you expect him to coach us to a loss against the Jets?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 04:30 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: The Bengals scored on their final 3 drives of the half yesterday.  So they found something before halftime.

Thank you.  That is exactly the point I was making.  Good teams make adjustments throughout the entire game, not just at halftime.
Reply/Quote

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo he made 4th QTR adjustments? Maybe if he made them at the half, he wouldn't have had to come from behind so much. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 02:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/03/mmqb-week-17-bengals-titans-clinch-divsisions-daily-cover

ZT and staff have done a tremendous job of making adjustments/fine tuning, etc. at HT just about all year. An important sign of a good coaching staff.
Reply/Quote