Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase on another team
In light of the Sewell vs Chase debate that is apparently still not quite dead, it made me wonder, what do you guys think Chase's stats would be or how well would Chase have played if he was drafted by Atlanta, Miami, or Detroit (the team before us and the 2 teams immediately after us in the draft)? So, say we DID pick Sewell and Chase went to another team. What do you think he looks like? Does he still look and play like not only rookie of the year, but pro bowler with elite WR numbers? Does he look more average? Does he have the some numbers as Waddle does on the Dolphins?

If we aren't going to end this "debate", then let's at least explore it from a different angle.

Personally, I contend, that while Chase would still show his skills, it's his familiarity with Burrow that's really allowed him to shine. So, while he might have better numbers than Waddle in Miami, I don't think he comes even CLOSE to what he's done here in Cincy with Burrow.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 10:47 AM)PhilHos Wrote: In light of the Sewell vs Chase debate that is apparently still not quite dead, it made me wonder, what do you guys think Chase's stats would be or how well would Chase have played if he was drafted by Atlanta, Miami, or Detroit (the team before us and the 2 teams immediately after us in the draft)? So, say we DID pick Sewell and Chase went to another team. What do you think he looks like? Does he still look and play like not only rookie of the year, but pro bowler with elite WR numbers? Does he look more average? Does he have the some numbers as Waddle does on the Dolphins?

If we aren't going to end this "debate", then let's at least explore it from a different angle.

Personally, I contend, that while Chase would still show his skills, it's his familiarity with Burrow that's really allowed him to shine. So, while he might have better numbers than Waddle in Miami, I don't think he comes even CLOSE to what he's done here in Cincy with Burrow.

Agree 100%. You just cant ignore the thousands of reps they took at LSU together. It basically made Chase a seasoned vet before he was a rookie. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think that's probably an accurate statement. I remember several times in the beginning of the year when Burrow threw the ball to Chase and I thought "There's no way any other NFL QB gives a rookie WR a chance on that pass." Obviously Joe had level of familiarity and confidence with Ja'marr from the very first snap, and it showed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Detroit had taken him, I would have expected him to still have respectable numbers with Goff. Yeah, he probably wouldn't be dropping 260+ yards on teams and having four-TD days without Burrow, but a talent like his would have still shown through. Probably would have helped the Lions to a few more wins, like the Baltimore game.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Agree 100%. You just cant ignore the thousands of reps they took at LSU together. It basically made Chase a seasoned vet before he was a rookie. 

and to validate this sentiment, Zac has mentioned it in his pressers. He's stated they had an advantage with Chase's development because he and Burrow already knew how to play with each other. Thus, when Burrow and Chase started practice reps together they were just reacclimating to each other's game rather than learning it for the first time. QBs and players receiving the ball talk about this often in interviews, how the reps are important because you learn where a QB is going to put the ball and you learn how a guy goes after catching a ball.
Reply/Quote
I could see Chase maybe having up to 1200 yards and maybe 8 TDs with some other team. For sure over 1000.
But I do think the chemistry with Burrow has helped him be more productive this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Don’t think he would have had the same or comparable numbers with any of those teams.

#1-Burrow is better than all of their QB’s are currently
#2-The Burrow/Chase familiarity as others have mentioned

I guess there could be another line of thinking that our offense is better and has more weapons so maybe we spread the ball out a little more than some of the other teams who may have forced it to Chase. Maybe he would have been close to his numbers now in that case but I’d still argue the better QB in Burrow would at minimum equal what Chase could have accomplished with a worse QB but more targets.

Some of those throws Sunday wouldn’t have even been attempted by other QB’s, let alone put in the perfect spot for him to make a catch with DB’s all over him.
Reply/Quote
Ja'Burrow
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Ja’Marr has scored some TD’s that had absolutely nothing to do with the throw (82 yarder in first Ravens game, the one currently in my sig), but there’s no denying he benefits greatly from playing with Burrow. I think he’d still be the best rookie WR in the class anywhere else, but we’re probably not sitting here talking about Randy Moss 2.0 if he was playing with Goff or Tua.

Reply/Quote
I was trying to make this point in another thread. Chase looks better because of Burrow. Burrow looks better because of Ja'Marr. We would see a big dropoff in production if we picked Sewell, and he would see a dropoff if Tua was throwing him the ball.

Chemistry matters.

(01-06-2022, 12:07 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Sewell would have been a fine pick. He’s played well this year, and there’s no reason to think he won’t get even better.

Chase may have looked worse if he ended up with Tua throwing to him. I’m not trying to take anything away from him as an individual player, but that pre-existing chemistry with Burrow certainly gave him a head start to superstardom. BUT…it’s also played a role in getting Burrow there this quickly.

I think that relationship is at least partially responsible for some Bengals wins this year, and you’re silly if you disagree. I don’t think we’re a playoff team (YET) if Sewell were here instead.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I'm a realist, boys. Chase 1.0. Cool
Reply/Quote
Justin Jefferson proved these 2019 LSU receivers were just elite, and didn't need Burrow to showcase their skills.

Chase would have done same elsewhere, he would have made it work with any QB he's that good.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 12:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: Justin Jefferson proved these 2019 LSU receivers were just elite, and didn't need Burrow to showcase their skills.

Chase would have done same elsewhere, he would have made it work with any QB.

Cousins>>>>Tua/Goff

But yeah, these 2 are that good.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 10:47 AM)PhilHos Wrote: In light of the Sewell vs Chase debate that is apparently still not quite dead, it made me wonder, what do you guys think Chase's stats would be or how well would Chase have played if he was drafted by Atlanta, Miami, or Detroit (the team before us and the 2 teams immediately after us in the draft)? So, say we DID pick Sewell and Chase went to another team. What do you think he looks like? Does he still look and play like not only rookie of the year, but pro bowler with elite WR numbers? Does he look more average? Does he have the some numbers as Waddle does on the Dolphins?

He would probably have around what he has here, arguably better.

Our situation is a double edged sword.  His chemistry with Burrow is a big advantage, but his individual production also suffers from sharing targets with two other good WR's.  As good as his production is, what makes it so special is he's only tied for 15th in the league in targets.  Cooper Kupp has like 60 more targets this year, almost half of Chase's total.  On one of the teams you mentioned, his efficiency #'s like YPT would take a big hit, but he would make up for it in sheer target volume.  I mean,you could legitimately make a case for him being a 2000 yard WR on the Bengals if he got Kupp type targets.
Reply/Quote
My first time posting on y'all's forum.

Coming from a Louisiana boy that's been a huge fan of the LSU Tigers and the Saints, it's been wonderful being able to watch both Burrow and Chase do for y'all's Bengals what they did for our LSU Tigers. To me they are a match made in heaven. Chase would still ball like crazy no matter where he would play. But, Imo it's the familiarity that they have with one another combined with Joe's crazy accuracy that makes the pair deadly. Because of this I'm a huge fan of the Bengals these days and I can't wait to see what the future holds for the team. Here's to y'all winning a playoff game and possibly a Superbowl this year, cheers.
Reply/Quote
Barry Sanders did his thing even with bad Lions teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:37 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Ja'Burrow

Ja'Brrrrrr
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I agree with the op but

https://youtu.be/JUoe-s51p2g

I don't care who the QB is. If you can do this you're going to succeed anywhere.
Reply/Quote
The Dolphins can say that Waddle was the #1 WR on their board all they want, but they 100% would have taken Chase. So with check-down Tua, Chase may have more catches and more YAC but not near the amount of touchdowns or yards overall.
Reply/Quote
Falcons make playoffs in NFC if they draft Chase. With Pitts we need to beat Mayfield less Browns to reach playoffs we lose first Raven game with Pitts.
Reply/Quote