Poll: At pick #5, who would you rather have?
Penei Sewell
Ja'Marr Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase vs. Sewell
Chase because he could be our #1 WR when it's all said and done in my opinion.

Higgins, Boyd, and Chase in healthy competition would be phenomenal.

Right now as it stands none of the other current WRs are even worthy of starting including Tate.

Of course like almost everyone has stated that if the FO drops the ball and doesn't get starting caliber players in free agency they HAVE to take Sewell or an early round O-lineman.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think the logic of great OT at top of round 2 is not far fetched. But I would say Pitts over Chase for reason no great TE will be available at top of round 2, but I think there will be true #1 receivers there at top of round 2.

I chose under assumption we ignore OT in FA (starter) Sewell over Chase.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're just kinda making up that fragile part aren't ya?

And what makes Chase a "do everything"? His punt return skills?

Saw Smith get one hit in NC and he was knocked out.  

"Do everything" for Chase applies to everything you need from a #1 WR.  Runs every route, including the middle of the field.  Tough to tackle.  Vertical speed.  Agility.  Blocking. Toughness.   A leader.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 09:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Saw Smith get one hit in NC and he was knocked out.  

"Do everything" for Chase applies to everything you need from a #1 WR.  Runs every route, including the middle of the field.  Tough to tackle.  Vertical speed.  Agility.  Blocking. Toughness.   A leader.  

Well, when you say it like that, it makes me wish that the Bengals already had a strong OL and were just one playmaker away from greatness.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 10:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, when you say it like that, it makes me wish that the Bengals already had a strong OL and were just one playmaker away from greatness.  

I know it is reaching (and I do want the offensive line addressed) but part of helping an offensive line is having weapons that get safeties back.  Helps the running game, too.  The Bills are a good case study of this...
Reply/Quote
The only way to answer this is to assume nothing changes in free agency. Which makes Sewell an absolute no-brainer. Unless you want to get Burrow killed.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 02:28 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: The only way to answer this is to assume nothing changes in free agency.  Which makes Sewell an absolute no-brainer.  Unless you want to get Burrow killed.

Actually drafting WRs over Oline will keep Burrpw at higher risk of injury 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 09:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Saw Smith get one hit in NC and he was knocked out.  

When did Devonta play NC?

Devonta Smith's route tree is complete. Are screens part of the route tree?

"Pro Football Focus draft analyst Mike Renner had this nugget: Receptions on screens: Smith (2020): 33 catches, 279 yards, two touchdowns; Chase (2019): five catches, 69 yards, no touchdowns…"

How you got in a foot race Chase or Smith?

DS just finished a year in the SEC where he had 117 catches for almost 1900 yards, and 23 TDs. He also returned 11 punts for over 230 yards. 0 idea how that equals fragile.

The dude got his finger dislocated to such an extent they had to operate on in the get it reset, wanted to go back in the game, and wouldn't leave the tent to go into the locker room for evaluation until forced. What's that you say about toughness?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Since they’re so close I’m going with the guy that dominated at a younger age, put up a higher avg, and has a bigger frame.

That’s not even factoring in the chemistry with our QB, as there’s already enough to go with Chase even without that.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 10:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Since they’re so close I’m going with the guy that dominated at a younger age, put up a higher avg, and has a bigger frame.

That’s not even factoring in the chemistry with our QB, as there’s already enough to go with Chase even without that.

So you're going Sewell over Chase? 

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 09:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When did Devonta play NC?

Devonta Smith's route tree is complete. Are screens part of the route tree?

"Pro Football Focus draft analyst Mike Renner had this nugget: Receptions on screens: Smith (2020): 33 catches, 279 yards, two touchdowns; Chase (2019): five catches, 69 yards, no touchdowns…"

How you got in a foot race Chase or Smith?

DS just finished a year in the SEC where he had 117 catches for almost 1900 yards, and 23 TDs. He also returned 11 punts for over 230 yards. 0 idea how that equals fragile.

The dude got his finger dislocated to such an extent they had to operate on in the get it reset, wanted to go back in the game, and wouldn't leave the tent to go into the locker room for evaluation until forced. What's that you say about toughness?

NC was National Championship.  

He had a spectacular year, but the facts are he is a TINY WR that was schemed open on a team that outclassed every other team on their schedule by a mile.  It's not to say I don't think he can be successful, but I want Chase more.  And Chase did those kind of numbers when he was 19 years old also in the SEC.  

We will see who is right in terms of the evaluation when we see their draft positions.  

It might also be reaching a bit, but I like that Chase actually sat out and will be fresh for his rookie season.  Lots of Bama guys struggle their first year in the NFL because they are "spent" from their time at Bama.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: NC was National Championship.  

He had a spectacular year, but the facts are he is a TINY WR that was schemed open on a team that outclassed every other team on their schedule by a mile.  It's not to say I don't think he can be successful, but I want Chase more.  And Chase did those kind of numbers when he was 19 years old also in the SEC.  

We will see who is right in terms of the evaluation when we see their draft positions.  

It might also be reaching a bit, but I like that Chase actually sat out and will be fresh for his rookie season.  Lots of Bama guys struggle their first year in the NFL because they are "spent" from their time at Bama.  

There's a difference between small and fragile. it's fine to like Chase better, but we can do it with out making things up about Smith. nothing points to:

fragile
lack of toughness
limited route tree
lack of vertical speed

i consider them to be equal as prospects. The thing that puts one above the other for me is the one who chose to buckle up the chin strap this past year.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a difference between small and fragile. it's fine to like Chase better, but we can do it with out making things up about Smith. nothing points to:

fragile
lack of toughness
limited route tree
lack of vertical speed

i consider them to be equal as prospects. The thing that puts one above the other for me is the one who chose to buckle up the chin strap this past year.

So it's a NO for Sewell?  Ninja
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: So it's a NO for Sewell?  Ninja

If I had a prospect equal to him on talent, then NO.

It is a factor as to why i have Darrisaw over Slater

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: NC was National Championship.  

So you are saying LSU did not outclass its opponents or Chase did not have schemes and open coverage the benefited him?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 01:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a difference between small and fragile. it's fine to like Chase better, but we can do it with out making things up about Smith. nothing points to:

fragile
lack of toughness
limited route tree
lack of vertical speed

I didn't say he had a lack of vertical speed.  Where did I say that?  Chase is a more complete WR, IMHO, and that's it.  I also like his leadership and intangibles.  Plus, the Bama rookie fatigue is real.  We have seen it.  As far as choosing Smith because he chose to play this past year is fine, but as I said before, I am glad Chase will be fresh and ready to go next year.  I love the kid.  

I am starting to get the feeling that it won't matter and Sewell will be the pick, anyways.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 08:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are saying LSU did not outclass its opponents or Chase did not have schemes and open coverage the benefited him?

They had a much tougher road.  ND and an Ohio State defense that lost most of its top talent a year prior?  Yes, LSU had a tougher road.  
Reply/Quote

fragile
lack of toughness
limited route tree
lack of vertical speed

I don't really see them as equal prospects.  Chase out produced Jefferson last year at LSU. Jefferson had more receiving yards and TD's this year than Jeudy and Ruggs combined.

As far as vertical speed goes, Smith isn't slow.  However, we're talking a 4.4 guy vs a low 4.5 guy.  Lack of vertical threats is one of the biggest weaknesses of our WR corps.  
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 10:57 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't really see them as equal prospects.  Chase out produced Jefferson last year at LSU. Jefferson had more receiving yards and TD's this year than Jeudy and Ruggs combined.

As far as vertical speed goes, Smith isn't slow.  However, we're talking a 4.4 guy vs a low 4.5 guy.  Lack of vertical threats is one of the biggest weaknesses of our WR corps.  

neither Chase or Smith are know as burners by NFL standard.. normally below 4.0 both though have different styles  both can use that to their advantage to go vertical... 

Both are top WRs and really in the end.. if either are available and we want to go WR at #5 they will add another dimension to our passing game. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 08:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  neither Chase or Smith are know as burners by NFL standard.. normally below 4.0 both though have different styles  both can use that to their advantage to go vertical... 

Both are top WRs and really in the end.. if either are available and we want to go WR at #5 they will add another dimension to our passing game. 

Below a 4.0?
Reply/Quote