Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase vs the national media
Last week Ja'Marr Chase, in response to a question about the difference in the ball between college and the NFL, explains the difference. National media, led by PFT and Florio, run rampent with the narrative that Chase used the difference as an excuse as his drops which he clearly did not as anyone who heard the interview or read Hobson's article could have told them.

This morning on GMFB, he was asked specifically about his goal around individual team records responded his goal was to break them. ESPN's Dianna Russini responds with a snarky "maybe start with helping your team win a few games first" This is the same reporter who claimed that Zac was putting too much pressure on the 5th round draft pick, who is being expected to be a top player for the next decade, by saying that out loud.

That poor kid just needs to stop talking to the media

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
There is some serious Chase hate going on. He's getting slaughtered on social media, but plenty are coming to his defense.

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN

What's interesting is he already said what he said (after the draft), so folks are late.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don't think Dianna Russini's comments are valid after the team just won a game, but one of her later tweets I did agree with. She is talking about a quote from Chase about wanting to break records, and her statement was she would prefer that he have team focused goals not selfish ones. That isn't an unfair statement. Burrow, Higgins, Boyd all those guys have team first in their statements, so Chase's stands out from those.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Unfortunately he was asked about personal records. Not team ones. She has it in for Chase.. There's something there. Maybe she caught a whiff of the funk low key. We may never know, but she continues to take shots at him every chance she gets.

Jake Liscow
@JakeLiscow
GMFB: Do you stand by your post draft statement that you will break every record?
Ja'Marr Chase: I'm gonna break every record I can

what could possibly be controversial about this? why are we spending time on it?

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 02:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Unfortunately he was asked about personal records. Not team ones. She has it in for Chase.. There's something there. Maybe she caught a whiff of the funk low key. We may never know, but she continues to take shots at him every chance she gets.

Jake Liscow
@JakeLiscow
GMFB: Do you stand by your post draft statement that you will break every record?
Ja'Marr Chase: I'm gonna break every record I can

what could possibly be controversial about this? why are we spending time on it?

Because you know the media is going to spin it.

Question: Do you stand by your post draft statement...

Answer: Right now, I'm just focused on helping the team win football games anyway I can. 

Why give them the ammo? Be smart.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:00 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Because you know the media is going to spin it.

Answer: Right now, I'm just focused on helping the team win football games anyway I can. 

Why give them the ammo? Be smart.

You can spin anything though.

Media: Chase loses confidence.  No longer thinks he can break records.

Talking to the media always ends as poorly as they'd like.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:10 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: You can spin anything though.

True, but it just seems like it would be harder to spin the "focused on helping the team" statement then the I'm going to try and break records one. It's not super often that the media takes the standard team type answer and spins it. Sure, it can happen and probably has but not often.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 02:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Unfortunately he was asked about personal records. Not team ones. She has it in for Chase..

Actually it is hard to tell.

The way I saw it was she was responding to a one line quote from Chase about breaking every record.  She did not know what question had prompted that response.

This is a perfect example of how communication breaks down in an age when people can't read/write more than one or two sentences.  That is a direct result of social media.  In 10 years people will be communicating with pictures and images instead of words (not joking).  And there will be even more problems, but people don't care because it is too hard to write full words and ideas.
Reply/Quote
Chase is a lot like Burrow. He's not gonna let anyone get in his head.
Reply/Quote
Sorta wish he’d try a little harder to not give the media and other teams bulletin board material. The second he doesn’t back up his talk they are gonna be on him like flies to s***. And if THAT happens, I hope he has enough common sense to back off and be a bit more humble. And not let it ruin his psych so we end up with (I was trying hard to avoid this) John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:10 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: You can spin anything though.

This works if you only speak to the media occasionally, but they will start clowning on him if every answer is a lame sports cliche.  Russell Wilson dealt with that for years.  Eventually the player just comes off as a phony when every answer is a predictable "teamspeak".
Reply/Quote
My Gawd, the best way for him to help the team win is by breaking WR records. How is that not simple logic. And he is already breaking team records. Most yards by a rookie on opening day with 101. Checked.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:23 PM)Takedown Wrote: Chase is a lot like Burrow. He's not gonna let anyone get in his head.

HeheHeheHehe
Reply/Quote
You could tell Burrow was pissed at they way Chase has been treated by the media (and some fans) over his drops, when his first comments of a presser were "I thought he dropped everything," spoken in a manner that conveyed a big FU. Kind of like when I would say FU to someone by telling them to "have a nice day" in a deadpan manner.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My Gawd, the best way for him to help the team win is by breaking WR records. How is that not simple logic. And he is already breaking team records. Most yards by a rookie on opening day with 101. Checked.

That 101 is a Bengals record, not the NFL record. 

Boldin had that with 217 yards. And in Boldin's case the team lost the game. Breaking records doesn't always equal wins. 

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:23 PM)Takedown Wrote: Chase is a lot like Burrow. He's not gonna let anyone get in his head.

That's the one (great) thing Sunday showed us. None of the heat he took the last month effected him. 

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You could tell Burrow was pissed at they way Chase has been treated by the media (and some fans) over his drops, when his first comments of a presser were "I thought he dropped everything," spoken in a manner that conveyed a big FU. Kind of like when I would say FU to someone by telling them to "have a nice day" in a deadpan manner.

Chase deserved to be criticized for his preseasons drops.  It wasn't just one or two drops.  It was a bunch in just a very few chances.  Some of the criticism went too far, but that is just the nature of the game.  Most of the talking heads think they have to take extreme positions in order to separate themselves from the pack.  And top 10 picks are big well-known targets.

But Jamarr and Joe also deserve to make the media eat their words.  I was pumped when he caught that TD.  I am sure the entire team felt that huge weight lift off of his back.  And no matter what Chase says, he felt it too.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That 101 is a Bengals record, not the NFL record. 

Boldin had that with 217 yards. And in Boldin's case the team lost the game. Breaking records doesn't always equal wins. 

Reading is fundamental.....

Quote:My Gawd, the best way for him to help the team win is by breaking WR records. How is that not simple logic. And he is already breaking team records. Most yards by a rookie on opening day with 101. Checked.

And no, breaking records doesn't equal wins, but he can't play offensive line, defensive line or any other position on the team except his position. By being the best at HIS POSITION, he will be breaking records. So by breaking individual records, he is doing all he can to help the team win. It's really not that hard.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You could tell Burrow was pissed at they way Chase has been treated by the media (and some fans) over his drops, when his first comments of a presser were "I thought he dropped everything," spoken in a manner that conveyed a big FU. Kind of like when I would say FU to someone by telling them to "have a nice day" in a deadpan manner.

Or, "Child Please"????

[Image: 5d41f1d4fd5b735f28b440239f7f84d2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And no, breaking records doesn't equal wins, but he can't play offensive line, defensive line or any other position on the team except his position. By being the best at HIS POSITION, he will be breaking records. So by breaking individual records, he is doing all he can to help the team win. It's really not that hard.

Thinking about and concentrating on breaking records is not good.  We have all seen examples of players who had this problem.

But EVERY player should try to be the very best, and if you are the very best you have a shot at breaking records.

It is the media creating a "take" in order to get some clicks.
Reply/Quote