Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap, fast, healthy breakfast.
For me breakfast is the toughest meal to fix because I am always ina hurry to get to work. I used to be in a bad habit of getting a fast food breakfast, but they are outrageously high in fat (at least the ones I ate)...pork, eggs, cheese, fried potatoes, etc. They were also messy to eat in the car.

So now I have started making my own breakfast sandwiches.

12 english muffins
1 small (16 oz) carton egg beaters
shredded cheese
lean sliced ham

Spray a 12 cup non-stick muffin pan with with cooking oil. The carton of egg beaters will fill each cup about 2/3rd full. I like to add salt, pepper, and a little hot sauce to my eggs, so I put that into the carton and shake it up before pouring. Add enough shredded cheese to fill up the cups and mix it into the egg. Bake about 12 minutes at 400 degrees. The eggs will puff up really big when baking, but will collapse back down as they cool. Place just a couple of slices of lean ham with an egg in each muffin. Wrap each muffin individually in sandwich bags then place back into the bags that muffins originally came in to freeze.

All you have to do is grab one out of the freezer, microwave it for a couple of minutes, and you have a nice breakfast sandwich. They are pretty healthy, and do not crumble all over the car like breakfast biscuit sandwiches. You can even use fat free cheese if you want, but I don't really care for that stuff.

These are really easy to make. Two weeks worth and all you do is use one dish (muffin pan) one time.

If you use the cheaper type of sliced ham it will have a lot of water in it. Either dry the slices really well between paper towel or bake them in the oven for a few minutes before using in the muffins. If you don't the water will come out of the ham when it is frozen and when you warm it in the microwave it will have watwr in the middle.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 03:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: For me breakfast is the toughest meal to fix because I am always ina hurry to get to work.  I used to be in a bad habit of getting a fast food breakfast, but they are outrageously high in fat (at least the ones I ate)...pork, eggs, cheese, fried potatoes, etc.  They were also messy to eat in the car.

So now I have started making my own breakfast sandwiches.

12 english muffins
1 small (16 oz) carton egg beaters
shredded cheese
lean sliced ham

Spray a 12 cup non-stick muffin pan with with cooking oil.  The carton of egg beaters will fill each cup about 2/3rd full.  I like to add salt, pepper, and a little hot sauce to my eggs, so I put that into the carton and shake it up before pouring.  Add enough shredded cheese to fill up the cups and mix it into the egg.  Bake about 12 minutes at 400 degrees.  The eggs will puff up really big when baking, but will collapse back down as they cool.  Place just a couple of slices of lean ham with an egg in each muffin.  Wrap each muffin individually in sandwich bags then place back into the bags that muffins originally came in to freeze.

All you have to do is grab one out of the freezer, microwave it for a couple of minutes, and you have a nice breakfast sandwich.  They are pretty healthy, and do not crumble all over the car like breakfast biscuit sandwiches.  You can even use fat free cheese if you want, but I don't really care for that stuff.  

These are really easy to make.  Two weeks worth and all you do is use one dish (muffin pan) one time.

If you use the cheaper type of sliced ham it will have a lot of water in it.  Either dry the slices really well between paper towel or bake them in the oven for a few minutes before using in the muffins.  If you don't the water will come out of the ham when it is frozen and when you warm it in the microwave it will have watwr in the middle.

Nice life hack, I will ty it
Reply/Quote
Forget the egg beaters. It's better to actually eat the real eggs. Egg beaters has no real nutritional value.
Reply/Quote
Eggs is good for breakfast lunch and dinner
Reply/Quote
I love breakfast sandwiches, but like you wrote extremely high in fat.

For breakfast I usually eat yogurt mixed with fresh fruit and granola.

I like Dannon Light&Fit Greek vanilla flavor. 0 grams fat, 13 grams carbs, 18 grams protein per serving.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 03:55 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I love breakfast sandwiches, but like you wrote extremely high in fat.

I like Dannon Light&Fit Greek vanilla flavor. 0 grams fat, 13 grams carbs, 18 grams protein per serving.

you actually probly want more calories with breakfast. Get that motablism going
Reply/Quote
I was expecting for a great recipe for toast. Oh, well. LOL
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 06:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you actually probly want more calories with breakfast.   Get that motablism going

I focus on smaller more frequent meals than the typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Reply/Quote
Fried egg sandwich any time of the day….

[Image: thomas-kellers-blt-fried-egg-sandwich.jpg]

And timing an egg…..

[Image: 09242009-egg-boiling-timing.jpg]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 03:55 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I love breakfast sandwiches, but like you wrote extremely high in fat.

I like Dannon Light&Fit Greek vanilla flavor.  0 grams fat, 13 grams carbs, 18 grams protein per serving.

Grapenuts and yogurt used to be a regular breakfast for me.  If I could just get up 15 minutes earlier I could go back to eating that instead of something in the car.

I have some serious slacker tendencies.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:17 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Fried egg sandwich any time of the day….

[Image: thomas-kellers-blt-fried-egg-sandwich.jpg]

Yep.

I like fresh tomato on a lot of different things, but for some reason it seems go best with any combination of eggs, cheese, and bacon/ham.  

I buy fresh tomatoes and eat them with random foods, but if I have a couple that are getting really ripe and I think "What can I fix that goes good with fresh tomatoes?" it is always an omelette or "breakfast sandwich".  They are great any time of the day.
Reply/Quote
I use steak tomatoes. Might be overkill, but they are oh so delicious.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Grapenuts and yogurt used to be a regular breakfast for me.  If I could just get up 15 minutes earlier I could go back to eating that instead of something in the car.

I have some serious slacker tendencies.

Sleep is important, too.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 02:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Forget the egg beaters. It's better to actually eat the real eggs. Egg beaters has no real nutritional value.

This may sound sad, but I like the fact that I do not have to crack and and whip up a dozen eggs.

And they do have 5 grams of protein and only 1 carb per serving.
Reply/Quote