Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random comments on our LB situation.
(03-11-2016, 02:13 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Darron Lee. 4.47.

Would love to grab him, but I don't see him being there @ 24. He moved up to top 10-15 I've heard with his combine performance.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not this "Vinney Rey is the 2nd best LB and should start" stuff again. Vinney Rey is very good at what he is asked to do, play certain snaps at LB and Special teams. But let's not forget what happened when he had to start multiple games in a row when Maualuga was injured. The middle was a sieve...
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i remember and i thought that was a bit extreme, but doesn't mean he wasn't terrible here lately.

Plus he was just coming off of injury. If i was a Vike's fan i would not of liked the pickup unless it was for ST's.

Hey, i liked the idea of Lamur at the beginning but he was a dissapointment to say the least here.

Don't give me the "he got good money somewhere else so he isn't that bad" argument is all i ask.

Zim can have him.

Yeah I know.  It's a terrible measuring stick.

Overpaying for a player doesn't mean shit for abilities.

Other teams have done it.  Our team has done it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I didn't know Lamur got signed by Zim. Others are right, the money doesn't mean much in terms of whether he'll work out. I do know Zim will get the most out of Lamur and they already have a relationship so that helps. I'd say it is a good move for the Vikes IF he stays healthy.

Back to OUR LB situation, I wonder if Paul Dawson might take a big step forward this year. Also, when we take FAs, a lot of times it isn't their first year when they make an impact -- so maybe AJ Hawk shows up for what might be his last year in the league. I wouldn't say that drafting a 'starter ready' LB high is a priority. Rather, I'd take a late round and also an undrafted LB who can be a project. Let them compete with our current projects: Flowers, Dimanche, and Roach.

And like Fred said, the defense was phenomenal last year and I am not that worried about them other than the potential impact of losing Hall and Reggie Nelson. I suppose if Reggie isn't re-signed, he could be midseason replacement as needed. But as for the middle of the field, I feel OK with what we have.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 11:58 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah I know.  It's a terrible measuring stick.

Exactly, happens all the time. Doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't translate.

We could list endless examples of teams overpaying players who just fall flat on their face.

Wouldn't surprise me or lots here that the same happens with Lamur in Minnesota.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 11:58 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah I know.  It's a terrible measuring stick.

Funny that every single person who rips the Bengals free agency actvivty disagrees with you.

Don't know why everyone wants us to sign more expensive free agenst when the guys making a million a year are just as good. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
This guy looks like a pretty decent prospect.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2061725/kamalei-correa

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Peko only played about half of the snaps last year yet finished in the top 10 in sacks by an interior defensive lineman.

But in general I agree we need to add some talent to the D-line.  I still have some hope for Hardison.  It is not unusual for a player to make drastic improvements from his rookie to his second season.  But guys who have been around a while like Clarke (2 yrs) and Hunt (3 yrs) are probably not going to suddenly get a lot better.  

Don't look at his sack numbers because they are misleading. He was playing next to an all-pro DT and pro-bowl DE, he is not good and most of them sacks came on break downs by the oline. I do agree we need to infuse some more talent though across the line and I hope that Hardison can be a more effective Gilberry and that Williams can be more effective than Sims or Thompson. As for Clarke and Hunt, I want to hold out hope, but I can't, they just don't seem to be worth the wait.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 03:49 PM)Crowe Wrote: Don't look at his sack numbers because they are misleading. He was playing next to an all-pro DT and pro-bowl DE, he is not good and most of them sacks came on break downs by the oline. 

For years I pointed out that Peko was always among the league leaders in tackles by interior linemen and all i heard was that he didn't get enough sacks.  Then when he gets sacks they don't count because of Dunlap and Atkins.

Your logic is circular.  You can't say that it is important to pend resources to upgrade at DT and then say we will get great production from the position even if the guy there stinks.

Peko used to be an upper tier DT, and now, even though he has declined, he is still a solid DT playing 50% of the snaps.  But he is near the end and we need to get a replacement plan this year.

It works out perfect that if we used a first round pick on a DT we would have him on a cheap rookie deal for 4 years and both Geno and Carlos just happen to be signed for 4 more years.  So if we do draft a big star we don't have to pay him until one or both of those contracts drop off the books.
Reply/Quote
I think if Sheldon Rankins were there, it would be very tempting. Although I still see us as more needy at linebacker. And if a WR they really like is there at 24, I would pull the trigger.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For years I pointed out that Peko was always among the league leaders in tackles by interior linemen and all i heard was that he didn't get enough sacks.  Then when he gets sacks they don't count because of Dunlap and Atkins.

Your logic is circular.  You can't say that it is important to pend resources to upgrade at DT and then say we will get great production from the position even if the guy there stinks.

Peko used to be an upper tier DT, and now, even though he has declined, he is still a solid DT playing 50% of the snaps.  But he is near the end and we need to get a replacement plan this year.

It works out perfect that if we used a first round pick on a DT we would have him on a cheap rookie deal for 4 years and both Geno and Carlos just happen to be signed for 4 more years.  So if we do draft a big star we don't have to pay him until one or both of those contracts drop off the books.

Peko had like 3 or 4 solid ass seasons for us, but he's just not that good anymore. He doesn't get any push at the point of attack and when Atkins is out he's straight up terrible. As far as using the "league leader in tackles" it doesn't mean he's good, it's like saying Nelson is an all-pro or one of the best because he had 8 ints when not even realizing that he's a bad tackler and not great in man to man coverage. It doesn't mean that I dislike the guy or that he doesn't have some value to us. The team just personally needs better players to allow our defense to continue to be good.

I don't agree that he was ever an upper tier DT, he was solid at times and while I like him as a person and appreciate all he's done for the team, we sorely need better play from that position. It's not always about the numbers but how a player can affect the other teams game plan. No team game plans against Peko.

With this years crop of DT's, I think we could possibly land one of the best if not the best DT in the first round, or a really good one in rounds 2 or 3. Either way, I want this to happen or a guy like Derron Lee to come in at 24.

Good post overall!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 02:06 PM)Crowe Wrote: I think we definitely need to improve our Dline, LB, and secondary. I agree we have one great LB and the rest are either mediocre or unknown. If Dawson comes in and plays like he did in college that will help. Maualuga is much better when Burfict is playing so if Dawson indeed can come in then we should be better in that dept than we were last season, plus I'm hoping that Flowers/Luc/Roach will step up. When looking at the defensive positions you mentioned something stood out to me and that's our Dline and passrush or lack there of. We have two great players in Atkins and Dunlap, but outside of them nothing. Johnson is solid against the run, but not a dynamic pass rusher. Hardison/Williams are both unknowns. Peko stinks, Gilberry needs to be upgraded and Hunt/Clarke have proven nothing, we really need to add another pass rusher to help.
Interesting,  I think the LB's  to watch this season will be Roach and Flowers.  Just Saying!!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 07:32 PM)SFmajor Wrote: Interesting,  I think the LB's  to watch this season will be Roach and Flowers.  Just Saying!!

Well, in order to be watched, Flowers would have to stay healthy..

But yeah, would be nice to see some life out of them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote