Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemistry and Continuity
Hello Who Dey Nation!
I am a long time post reader and I don't respond much on this board. With all that I have been reading at the conclusion of our previous losses, are we overlooking chemistry and continuity? I saw a sports writer say earlier in the NFL offseason say "veteran teams will benefit the most continuity in the wake of this adjusted off season". Aside from the lack of talent on the offensive line, I believe the defense is suffering from continuity. You cannot remake your entire defense with no REAL pre-season and expect them to hit the ground running. I am not trying to make excuses for last weeks performance, but I do think the best is yet to come and we will get better as the season goes on. I was glad to see that Reader and Bell spoke out and basically called out the entire defensive side of the ball. Hopefully they respond with a better performance against Philly!

Who Dey!!!1
Reply/Quote
If they can somehow beat the Eagles and Jags over the next 2 weeks, things will start to look a lot brighter. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 03:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they can somehow beat the Eagles and Jags over the next 2 weeks, things will start to look a lot brighter. 

If they win the next two games, I will wear a Gio stache until Thanksgiving...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 03:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they can somehow beat the Eagles and Jags over the next 2 weeks, things will start to look a lot brighter. 

Love to see it happen.

Gio's  mustache would make a great username. LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 03:24 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Hello Who Dey Nation!
I am a long time post reader and I don't respond much on this board. With all that I have been reading at the conclusion of our previous losses, are we overlooking chemistry and continuity? I saw a sports writer say earlier in the NFL offseason say "veteran teams will benefit the most continuity in the wake of this adjusted off season". Aside from the lack of talent on the offensive line, I believe the defense is suffering from continuity. You cannot remake your entire defense with no REAL pre-season and expect them to hit the ground running. I am not trying to make excuses for last weeks performance, but I do think the best is yet to come and we will get better as the season goes on. I was glad to see that Reader and Bell spoke out and basically called out the entire defensive side of the ball. Hopefully they respond with a better performance against Philly!

Who Dey!!!1

Glad to have a post from you! I agree, a lot of this team is new. There are still legitimate problems, but this isn't a veteran unit and I am sure that it is contributing to our early season woes.
Reply/Quote

Who Dey!!!1

We knew that there was going to need to be time for the team to synergize.
Not only for the defense, but the offense as well.
Burrow clearly doesn't have timing down with AJ and Ross.
The OL is not in sync well (obviously).

I'm hoping to see the team improve in October or November at the latest.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 05:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The OL is not in sync

Too bad.  Those guys could probably do a better job protecting Burrow

[Image: nsync-gallery-81.jpg?w=600]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 06:00 PM)fredtoastalways het these guys mixed u with backd Wrote: Too bad.  Those guys could probably do a better job protecting Burrow

[Image: nsync-gallery-81.jpg?w=600]
I always get these guys mixed up with Backsteet Boys
Put Timberlake at RT....see what  happens
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 06:15 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I always get these guys mixed up with Backsteet Boys
Put Timberlake at RT....see what  happens

New Kids Who Can Block.
Reply/Quote
What bothers me is the lack of a pass rush. The line backers are young except for Bynes so there will be growing pains. I agree the unit as a whole will need to jell but the pass rush should still have more sacks. Let's hope when we get Geno back it helps the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
Two games in 5 days with no preseason games and no continuity like you said. With a rookie QB, missing our only all pro on D, and our #1 WR playing for the first time in 2 years with like 2 practices under his belt in that time.

We are starting at the bottom and will go up from here.
Reply/Quote

Who Dey!!!1

Completely feel the same. Thought it would take time to gel, but also didn't expect Mayfield to play that good against our D.

There are good signs I saw in the first 2 games, sucks we lost, but Burrow looks good already, tackling is better on D etc.

Also just watched the Chargers play the SB Champs and they sure didn't make it easy on Mahomes.

That is a damn good team we lost to in the opener. Great DL. Win one, than lets eye for .500 and go from there.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely feel the same. Thought it would take time to gel, but also didn't expect Mayfield to play that good against our D.

There are good signs I saw in the first 2 games, sucks we lost, but Burrow looks good already, tackling is better on D etc.

Also just watched the Chargers play the SB Champs and they sure didn't make it easy on Mahomes.

That is a damn good team we lost to in the opener. Great DL. Win one, than lets eye for .500 and go from there.

The tackling was horrendous against the Browns.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 10:48 PM)jason Wrote: The tackling was horrendous against the Browns.
Jessie Bates was especially bad.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 10:48 PM)jason Wrote: The tackling was horrendous against the Browns.

Agreed, sure hope it improves against the Eagles big time. Bates was bad against the Stains no question.

Just saying it looks a bit better from last year, hope to see it improve as the year goes on.
Reply/Quote
I like to look at it in terms of potential upside. How much upside does a decision making team have who looked at this OL and said, "Yep. All set here. There's no point in spending more FA and draft resources protecting a rookie #1 pick QB." 
How much upside potential does a decision making team who decided that Gio, Mixon, and Hart were worth their current contracts have? 
How much upside potential does a decision making team have who decides to bench their franchise QB on his birthday and replace him with a guy who looks like sub practice squad talent?(who they hilariously traded up for - possibly because of a rumor)

This is the least experienced, least accomplished coaching staff out of 32 teams. 31 other teams in the league don't make Marvin Lewis one of the longest tenured coaches of all time without winning any playoff games and follow it up by hiring a slew of people who are totally unqualified for their positions. I'm wondering what the excuse will be next year?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 08:01 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I like to look at it in terms of potential upside. How much upside does a decision making team have who looked at this OL and said, "Yep. All set here. There's no point in spending more FA and draft resources protecting a rookie #1 pick QB." 
How much upside potential does a decision making team who decided that Gio, Mixon, and Hart were worth their current contracts have? 
How much upside potential does a decision making team have who decides to bench their franchise QB on his birthday and replace him with a guy who looks like sub practice squad talent?(who they hilariously traded up for - possibly because of a rumor)

This is the least experienced, least accomplished coaching staff out of 32 teams. 31 other teams in the league don't make Marvin Lewis one of the longest tenured coaches of all time without winning any playoff games and follow it up by hiring a slew of people who are totally unqualified for their positions. I'm wondering what the excuse will be next year?

At least they went out and got some good players on Defense, but yeah, if we don't start winning games these guys have to go...

All of them besides Simmons.
Reply/Quote
Hope the OP is right and I hope we gel sooner rather than later and don't settle for another dead cat bounce. BTW Mr. Toast is on a roll in this thread.
Reply/Quote

As bad as the DL and LB were nobody is going to tackle well. OL getting several yards downfield. Chub is a big boy and when gets a head of steam he's taking you 5 yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:16 PM)higgy100 Wrote: As bad as the DL and LB were nobody is going to tackle well. OL getting several yards downfield. Chub is a big boy and when gets a head of steam he's taking you 5 yards.

That is definitely a good O-line and with Chubb and Hunt that is probably the best RB duo in the NFL.

Speaking of the O-line, sure would like to steal Bill Callahan from the Stains in the Offseason...
Reply/Quote