Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chewbacca mom accused of white privilege
(06-20-2016, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I post scientific studies to prove my point.

But I guess you think you can change the definition of "irony" also, correct?

You mean the studies that showed evidence of racial discrimination? Groundbreaking.
(06-20-2016, 01:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No, the reason for claiming it exists is to enact cultural and political change to try and correct it. 

Sorry, Pat, but that's bullshit. I have NEVER heard anyone whine about white privilege only to follow it up with how to put an end to it. Look no further to the OP. You'll see people pointing out supposed white privilege, but funny how they don't seem to suggest how it can be put to an end.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-20-2016, 02:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, Pat, but that's bullshit. I have NEVER heard anyone whine about white privilege only to follow it up with how to put an end to it. Look no further to the OP. You'll see people pointing out supposed white privilege, but funny how they don't seem to suggest how it can be put to an end.

I understand how your anecdotal evidence shapes your own view of this issue, just as it does with most people, but I would hope that everyone who posts here is intelligent enough to understand that our experiences do not make up the entirety of the world that we live in.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Is this a case of "black privilege"?
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/somehow--bizarre-and-clumsy-handling-of-alabama-players-could-be-justice-001548496-ncaaf.html

"… I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and their teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all at home in the air conditioning, to play football,” Jones stated.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-19-2016, 05:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Isn't that sweet [anecdotal evidence]?

All I'm saying is if I have three stack of resumes, one from the inner city, one from Appalachia, and one from all other...guess which pile I'm starting with?

And that's not racism or elitism, that's just experience.

Like I said...I look at college and GPA first, so I don't even know what race you and your friends are.

Woah, I posted an actual study and you responded with your own anecdotal bs no one cares about.  I just figured it was "anecdotal bs" time, or something!  Anyways, I haven't checked this thread in a while, have we concluded if white privileged exists?  I need to know if I should keep feeling awesome or not.
(06-19-2016, 05:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Isn't that sweet [anecdotal evidence]?

All I'm saying is if I have three stack of resumes, one from the inner city, one from Appalachia, and one from all other...guess which pile I'm starting with?

And that's not racism or elitism, that's just experience.

Like I said...I look at college and GPA first, so I don't even know what race you and your friends are.

Well.....I'm from Appalachia, scored a 27 on the ACT after attending a huge kegger the night before....Dean's List last four semesters, and was an honor roll student in high school, so.......

"Better send those refunds..."

(06-20-2016, 03:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I understand how your anecdotal evidence shapes your own view of this issue, just as it does with most people, but I would hope that everyone who posts here is intelligent enough to understand that our experiences do not make up the entirety of the world that we live in.

I understand that, do you? It's why I generally try not to state something is a fact without more than my own personal experience as evidence. Hence, my stand on white privilege. I've never experienced it nor benefited from it and I have yet to see any evidence of it. What people have claimed as evidence for white privilege is, at best, evidence of racial discrimination and usually isn't even that but rather just their own distorted views and/or biases.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-22-2016, 11:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I understand that, do you? It's why I generally try not to state something is a fact without more than my own personal experience as evidence. Hence, my stand on white privilege. I've never experienced it nor benefited from it and I have yet to see any evidence of it. What people have claimed as evidence for white privilege is, at best, evidence of racial discrimination and usually isn't even that but rather just their own distorted views and/or biases.

So basically studies that show a statistically significant racial bias towards blacks don't count according to you?  Or is it that they show being black can be a detriment, and not necessarily that being white is beneficial?
(06-22-2016, 11:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I understand that, do you? It's why I generally try not to state something is a fact without more than my own personal experience as evidence. Hence, my stand on white privilege. I've never experienced it nor benefited from it and I have yet to see any evidence of it.

"I understand that anecdotal evidence can't be generalized. Having said that, white privilege cannot exist because I haven't seen it". 

Quote:What people have claimed as evidence for white privilege is, at best, evidence of racial discrimination and usually isn't even that but rather just their own distorted views and/or biases.

Umm... yea... your white privilege is your treatment in society that differs from others who are victims of intentional or unintentional racial discrimination. 

What do you think white privilege is?

(06-22-2016, 02:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: "I understand that anecdotal evidence can't be generalized. Having said that, white privilege cannot exist because I haven't seen it". 

Umm... yea... your white privilege is your treatment in society that differs from others who are victims of intentional or unintentional racial discrimination. 

What do you think white privilege is?

Here's the great thing about white privilege...if it can not be applied to every single white person in the United States, or whichever population is claimed to benefit from it, then it doesn't exist.  ThumbsUp

"Racism is bad." "Let's generalize entire groups of people based solely on skin color. Who cares about individual experience?"
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(06-22-2016, 03:18 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Here's the great thing about white privilege...if it can not be applied to every single white person in the United States, or whichever population is claimed to benefit from it, then it doesn't exist.  ThumbsUp

"Racism is bad." "Let's generalize entire groups of people based solely on skin color. Who cares about individual experience?"

Well the first part is just false. You don't need it to be applied to every single person for it to be a reality. Studies show that college educated black men get called back for second interviews at about the same rate as white men who have criminal records. That's an example of white privilege. Some college educated black men will get a second interview where a white man with a criminal record won't. The fact that some do not doesn't change the trend. For the ones who do, it's not their fault for being white or their fault for the person hiring to discredit the qualifications of the black man. It isn't "white guilt". 

Also, generalizations based on skin color are not inherently racist. Generalizations =/= stereotyping. It's also not racist to point out trends.

@ Auburn Study.

Doesn't really account for resumes with black "hood rat" names and resumes with "White Trashy" names, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

And yes, that absolutely matters. I'm bi-racial, and I've seen blacks and bi-racials alike give shit to names like Marquoan and Moniqua
(06-10-2016, 08:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are Trump's supporters aware he plans to make life awesome for the blacks?

I still haven't seen what Trump did to black people.

Then again, I don't care much for the BLM movement either.
(06-10-2016, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think anyone really disputes this.

All races are are racist.  But white people are the only ones in this country that have to power to oppress (unless you are trying to break into the rap/hip-hop music industry).

This is slightly inaccurate.

It's not talked about much except among lawyers, but a black social worker lobby has advocated for laws that either ban or make it more difficult for interracial adoption (white parents adopting black children) to occur.

They've been at it for decades, and have been successful in many cases. They're still at it.
(06-20-2016, 01:33 PM)Beaker Wrote: You mean the studies that showed evidence of racial discrimination? Groundbreaking.

This is getting comical.

You admit that there is racial discrimination.

You admit that whites control an overwhelming majority of the power and money in this country.

But you still try to deny that there is a privilege to being white.

How is that even possible?  
(06-22-2016, 05:18 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: This is slightly inaccurate.

It's not talked about much except among lawyers, but a black social worker lobby has advocated for laws that either ban or make it more difficult for interracial adoption (white parents adopting black children) to occur.

They've been at it for decades, and have been successful in many cases. They're still at it.

Link?
(06-22-2016, 11:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I've never experienced it nor benefited from it and I have yet to see any evidence of it.

How would you even know if you benefited from it?

How did the white people who were given more options for places to live or got call backs to job interviews know they were benefiting from white privilege.

In fact the level of your denial when faced with direct proof makes me feel that you know you have benefited from it.  "Me thinks the man doth protest too much."
If you were an employer and you knew "scientific studies" showed that one applicant was 3 times more likely to commit a violent crime than the other, would that factor into your decision making?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-22-2016, 06:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting comical.

You admit that there is racial discrimination.

You admit that whites control an overwhelming majority of the power and money in this country.

But you still try to deny that there is a privilege to being white.

How is that even possible?  

With White people being a Majority in the US, it shouldn't come as a surprise that they also hold the majority of the top wealth as well, but they do not own it all. There are people of other colors in there as well. Oprah Winfrey, Robert Smith, Dr Dre, P Diddy, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Tyler Perry, Jorge Perez, Arturo Moreno, Julio Mario Santa Domingo.

There is no such thing as "white Privilege", it is nothing more than a political/social construct. Institutionalized Discrimination has been Illegal in the US for quite a few decades now. What you are trying to base your stance off of, is stereo typing/racial profiling. Not the same as a Privilege.
(06-22-2016, 06:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link?

http://pages.uoregon.edu/adoption/archive/NabswTRA.htm

Their official position on it a few decades ago:

"The National Association of Black Social Workers asserts the conviction that children should not remain in foster homes or institutions when adoption can be a reality. We stand firmly, though, on conviction that a white home is not a suitable placement for black children and contend it is totally unnecessary".

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/02/02/in-adoption-does-race-matter/adoptions-should-consider-black-children-and-black-families

Euphemisms of the modern day:

"We believe that families considering interracial adoption should be prepared by their agencies to understand the pervasive impact of race on achievement, self-esteem, self-concept and mental health. Adoptive parents of black children should recognize and combat the pervasiveness of institutional and individual racism. They should ensure that black children are connected to appropriate black role models, and are not racially isolated"

Randall Kennedy's thesis discusses the issue in further depth in his interracial intimacies book. It's where I first learned of it:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/interracial-intimacies-randall-kennedy/1111321265

Unfortunately, I don't have an electronic source to cite directly.

They're a bit less direct about it now. They just could the same position/arguments in euphemisms.