Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheyenne - Gonna miss the old girl
Had to take our dog to her last vet visit today. She was extremely sick over the last 2 days and couldn't hold anything down. Our normal vet was out today, so we had to arrange to see another vet (oddly this happened last october when Cheyenne was really sick, our vet was out and had to get into this vet). When we arrived, we couldn't go in because of the covid restrictions. They came out and got her and we explained everything to the assistant who then took her in. After about 30 minutes, the assistant came out and had my wife call inside to talk to the vet. He explained what he was going to do and she told him we would go get a bite to eat and be back (he was going to run some blood tests and an x-ray). We were gone for like 20-25 minutes and we were back, waiting in the parking lot. 

After sitting awhile the assistant came out and said it was going to be awhile, maybe 3pm before they had all the results, so since that was going to be another 2hr wait and we lived 12 miles away, we went home to wait for the call. After about an hour we couldn't take it anymore and drove back over. My wife drove her SUV and I drove my car, simply because she has to work tonight. On the way, the vet called my wife and explained our girl's organs were shutting down. As we arrived, they gave us masks and let us in because we were going to have to let her go. I'm thankful we got to be with her and she didn't have to die alone.

My wife has always said Chey had a separation disorder. If we would leave her alone just to be back in 10 minutes, sometimes she would tear the blinds off the back door or tip the trash can. She hasn't done that in several years, but if she had that disorder, I'm especially glad she crossed over with us there embracing her. I feel so sorry for my wife tonight. She refused to take the night off because her coworkers were already short-handed, even though her boss told her she could.

Chey was a 13yr old beagle/something mix who my wife rescued from the shelter. My wife has had her for 10yrs and I've been with her for 9yrs. She was an Alpha dog. Really going to miss her. Now our other dog Isabell is going to be all alone. Isabell and Chey are both alphas and would tangle now and then. Probably about 2-3 grand in vet bills because of their shenanigans, but they did love each other. They just wanted dominance over the other. They could be around each other peacefully and even sleep next to one another. It's just once every 4-5 months, out of nowhere, it was on and that was a tough fight to break up.

Cheyenne took 3 injections to go. She was a fighter. We will miss her. We knew it was coming soon though because she was losing her hearing, sleeping a lot and sometimes pretty confused when she would awaken. Which dementia is common in old dogs. There's giong to be a big void without her. So to my girl, I raise this treat one last time. RIP. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sorry for your loss brother, it's never easy saying goodbye to a great friend. Take solace in the knowledge that she lived a full and good life, and is no longer suffering.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's never easy my friend. RIP
Reply/Quote
I feel for you brother. Tough day. Like sunset said, she lived a great life and was loved all the way through.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 401c15f7a5b5e4c7efc7619d4287fa38.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Very sorry for your loss. Props to your wife for rescuing her.
Reply/Quote
So sorry for your loss, my friend.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 05:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Had to take our dog to her last vet visit today. She was extremely sick over the last 2 days and couldn't hold anything down. Our normal vet was out today, so we had to arrange to see another vet (oddly this happened last october when Cheyenne was really sick, our vet was out and had to get into this vet). When we arrived, we couldn't go in because of the covid restrictions. They came out and got her and we explained everything to the assistant who then took her in. After about 30 minutes, the assistant came out and had my wife call inside to talk to the vet. He explained what he was going to do and she told him we would go get a bite to eat and be back (he was going to run some blood tests and an x-ray). We were gone for like 20-25 minutes and we were back, waiting in the parking lot. 

After sitting awhile the assistant came out and said it was going to be awhile, maybe 3pm before they had all the results, so since that was going to be another 2hr wait and we lived 12 miles away, we went home to wait for the call. After about an hour we couldn't take it anymore and drove back over. My wife drove her SUV and I drove my car, simply because she has to work tonight. On the way, the vet called my wife and explained our girl's organs were shutting down. As we arrived, they gave us masks and let us in because we were going to have to let her go. I'm thankful we got to be with her and she didn't have to die alone.

My wife has always said Chey had a separation disorder. If we would leave her alone just to be back in 10 minutes, sometimes she would tear the blinds off the back door or tip the trash can. She hasn't done that in several years, but if she had that disorder, I'm especially glad she crossed over with us there embracing her. I feel so sorry for my wife tonight. She refused to take the night off because her coworkers were already short-handed, even though her boss told her she could.

Chey was a 13yr old beagle/something mix who my wife rescued from the shelter. My wife has had her for 10yrs and I've been with her for 9yrs. She was an Alpha dog. Really going to miss her. Now our other dog Isabell is going to be all alone. Isabell and Chey are both alphas and would tangle now and then. Probably about 2-3 grand in vet bills because of their shenanigans, but they did love each other. They just wanted dominance over the other. They could be around each other peacefully and even sleep next to one another. It's just once every 4-5 months, out of nowhere, it was on and that was a tough fight to break up.

Cheyenne took 3 injections to go. She was a fighter. We will miss her. We knew it was coming soon though because she was losing her hearing, sleeping a lot and sometimes pretty confused when she would awaken. Which dementia is common in old dogs. There's giong to be a big void without her. So to my girl, I raise this treat one last time. RIP. 

Damn Harley....very sorry to hear of your loss. Having to do that really sucks.... but what Sunset said is right too. Still doesn't make it very easy.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
My condolences dog. I’ll be going that rod with my old dog here soon too. Not looking forward to that day.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Man, reading your story really hit me.

I had a Beagle I had to put down just last year. My old girl made it 16 years. It was honestly one of the toughest things I've had to go through.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Reply/Quote
Sorry for your loss Harley, hard shit man. Lost my best dog a couple years ago, Pepper and there is still a hole in my heart
to this very day and still haven't gotten another dog. She was 10 and got hit by a car but died quick. Was one of the roughest
mornings ever finding her the next day. Dogs ARE a man's best friend.

RIP Chey. Sad
Reply/Quote
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's was a much rougher day than I anticipated. I know I didn't want to be at work, but didn't want to be home either because of the void. I honestly take dogs for granted. They wait all day to see you, and sometimes when you walk in and you first have to feed them and let them out, etc. Sometimes, It seems like more work instead of enjoyment. I love our dogs and they are great. However, in all honesty, I feel horrible when I compare the amount of time spent with them vs. the amount of time they miss me. I guess some of us can be guilty in the offset of priorities we see and what the dog sees because, well, we got shit to do. I guess it can be the same with children. Have to work late, have to go away for a few weeks or months for work, have to spend hours on useless conference calls on holidays, birthdays, etc. Then when you get time off, sometimes your too effin tired to do anything.

I've heard some people say losing a pet is like losing a child. Well, I don't buy that. I've lost both and losing a dog is nothing comparable to losing a child. Not in a million years. But it hurts pretty bad nonetheless.

Geez, you'd think I could just simply say thanks to everyone without typing a lot. Just a void day where I don't quite feel right. Normal is not normal anymore and in time, a new norm will set in with happy memories replacing grief. I have to lead a drivers meeting tomorrow. FML on that one, smh. But I have to go on with it - but doubt I have much tolerance for any shenanigans. I have a feeling I'm going to be in a fight or flight mode tomorrow morning because I don't want to be there. Yet, I will, and then come home and take my wife out to eat and maybe walk through the park or something. Or just drink with her if she wants. Doesn't matter. She's suffering way more than me to the point she just keeps blaming herself. She's been googling all this stuff about her organs shutting down and keeps finding ways to make it her fault. Regardless of what I say back, it's tough to convince her otherwise. Sounds like maybe a nice day with a lot of talking with her is in order. We don't see each other through the week.

Reply/Quote
Horrible situation. Sorry for you and your family. Wife wants to blame herself, and it is natural, but regardless, I'm sure she did a lot to keep he dog alive, going and happy. All living things go, at some point. This time, it went with love. Take solace in that.
Reply/Quote
Been where your wife was Harley when my Ivan passed a few hrs ago. I downed a bottle of four roses marri’age’ blend I’d been holding on to for 10 years that night. Instead of researching on the internet like she is, I just conjured reasons in my mind, thinking of things I could have done differently etc. but that was because for most his life it was just he and I. My fiancée who lived with us at the end was enormously helpful the day of and weeks after, mostly by just listening and occasionally telling me I couldn’t blame myself. She knew, like you do it appears, that it’s part of the grief process and just vocalizing my thoughts allowed me to come to the correct conclusion. I loved that dog more than I could imagine leading me to not comprehend the ‘why’... then one day it clicked.

Probably of no help and nothing you don’t already know, but damnit if I don’t feel for you and your lady and hope you two do exactly as you just detailed. Healthy plans there.
Reply/Quote
This is why pot belly pigs make such great pets. You are sad to let them go, but at least you can have a good BBQ.
Reply/Quote
They truly are man's best friend. Been there myself & know the heartbreak all too well.
Reply/Quote
BTW it is amazing how time flys by. I remember when Harley was going through his break up and how happy he was when he found his new wife. Hard to believe that was 9 years ago. Some of the people here are almost like family to me. Not as close as real family obviolusly, but over the years we really get to know a lot about each other.

And even though I made a joke in this thread I 100% understand how hard it is to lose a pet.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2020, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW it is amazing how time flys by.  I remember when Harley was going through his break up and how happy he was when he found his new wife.  Hard to believe that was 9 years ago.  Some of the people here are almost like family to me.  Not as close as real family obviolusly, but over the years we really get to know a lot about each other.

And even though I made a joke in this thread I 100% understand how hard it is to lose a pet.

It's amazing the history some of us have on this board. Thousands of posts in both good times and bad. I think I originally joined the mothership back in either 05 or 06, but not 100% sure. Many of you were already members. Good memories. 

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2020, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW it is amazing how time flys by.  I remember when Harley was going through his break up and how happy he was when he found his new wife.  Hard to believe that was 9 years ago.  Some of the people here are almost like family to me.  Not as close as real family obviolusly, but over the years we really get to know a lot about each other.

You think that's crazy?  I still remember my wife and I talking to Harley's ex-wife at a Bengals Board meet and greet at Willie Anderson's Fatburger.  

It's interesting to think about how long some of the people around here have known each other.  We could all be doing this into our 80s.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:51 AM)samhain Wrote: You think that's crazy?  I still remember my wife and I talking to Harley's ex-wife at a Bengals Board meet and greet at Willie Anderson's Fatburger.  

It's interesting to think about how long some of the people around here have known each other.  We could all be doing this into our 80s.

You wanna know what else is crazy? She died too about 9 months ago from a drug overdose. I miss the dog 100x more. Ninja 

That woman put me through hell.

Reply/Quote