Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chief's PS game
(08-12-2019, 08:57 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 7th round pick Wink

Realized it after i said it...thanks, man.  Still a potential huge bargain.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
PFF results came out. I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this yet.

Philips and Dalton praised well. Philips needed it more after the issues returning/fielding.

Jefferson got destroyed. It doesn't look good for that Lewis experiment.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:57 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 7th round pick Wink

Let's not forget who else was a 7th round pick?  Only one of the greatest possession receivers to ever where the Bengal stripes, TJ Houshermama!  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Realized it after i said it...thanks, man.  Still a potential huge bargain.  

(08-13-2019, 08:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget who else was a 7th round pick?  Only one of the greatest possession receivers to ever where the Bengal stripes, TJ Houshermama!  Ninja

Absolutely on both posts!

I don't have a great handle on Tate; it indeed looks like he flops and dives around on EVERY catch lol, but he's making catches...

You can definitely see the potential, just not sure if it'll translate.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 08:57 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Absolutely on both posts!

I don't have a great handle on Tate; it indeed looks like he flops and dives around on EVERY catch lol, but he's making catches...

Yeah...I agree. Even fast guys don't get open by much space in the NFL. But, he makes contested catches a lot.

I say give him a chance against some 1's and see what he's got.

Not every receiver in the NFL is a burner. Maybe he has those intangible factors?
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I agree. Even fast guys don't get open by much space in the NFL. But, he makes contested catches a lot.

Not every receiver in the NFL is a burner. Maybe he has those intangible factors?

a'la Boldin? Its possible.

More evaluation time is needed.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 08:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget who else was a 7th round pick?  Only one of the greatest possession receivers to ever where the Bengal stripes, TJ Houshermama!  Ninja

(08-13-2019, 10:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I agree. Even fast guys don't get open by much space in the NFL. But, he makes contested catches a lot.

I've seen two or three different 53 man roster projections and they all have Tate making the team, FWIW ?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 10:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ffs Wyche, “harp on it?” Really? I literally mentioned it as a negative in a list of multiple other non-Dalton related complaints.

There’s certainly people harping on one comment though, that’s for sure...

I hear ya....but for years, even when Good Andy shows up, if he misses one throw, it gets scrutinized to the nth degree. Now, I won't say that is your style, because it's not....but it's certainly an interesting study in human behavior. We all know what Dalton is....a good QB with adequate protection, and so so without it. Some act like he couldn't QB Pop Warner.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: a'la Boldin? Its possible.

As a FSU fan....I can say he was compared as a poor man's Boldin. He's very good at contested catches and boxing out DBs with his frame. Huge catch radius. Of course, this time last year, me saying this equated to "Auden Tate will be the next Jerry Rice". LOL.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

There are a couple things, big-picture things, I am hoping for on our Bengals this year:

One of the biggest things is limiting turnovers.  I hope our emphasis on the running game (and subsequent play-action, RPO,  or whatever designation that leads to easy, high % completions) helps address that issue.  Also, a receiver that has such glue hands and can high-point a ball that only he can catch (see yesterday's camp video back of the end zone over Dre) should prevent the stupid bobble or tipped ball that leads to a pick.  

I look at Tate as someone that might not burn someone deep, but could be a solid, reliable target.  I am still a little puzzled why we haven't seen Boyd move to AJs spot and play more of Erickson and Tate in the slot, but I digress.  

Palmer had the very reliable Housh (as Sunset noted) that was with Chad in an awesome tandem.  The very few times they were on the field with Chris Henry (all 3 healthy), they were borderline unstoppable.  I will never forget what was probably Palmer's best game I ever witnessed against the Bears where Ced had a huge game against his former team and Palmer couldn't miss Housh, Chad, and Henry.

I look at Boyd as the Housh, but maybe that could also be Tate.  Ross has to be more consistent to become Henry, and we already have AJ as Chad.  

Tate did get 10 special teams snaps and was light years better on them than Willis, so I have to think he has the edge there.  I think the real battle is between three guys:  Malone, Core, and Morgan Jr.

Assuming they might take 7 to week one due to AJ's injury, I could see this scenario:

AJ
Boyd
Ross
Erickson
Tate
Malone 
Morgan

Released:  Core
PS:  Willis
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 08:21 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: PFF results came out. I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this yet.

Philips and Dalton praised well. Philips needed it more after the issues returning/fielding.

Jefferson got destroyed. It doesn't look good for that Lewis experiment.

Which is sad because our starters are mediocre, and our backups are pathetic so I don't think Jefferson will be shown the door anytime soon.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 01:28 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Agreed. Driskel plays more like this, he's dug his bed with me as far as playing time is concerned. He hasn't developed at all and his accuracy is still a major concern.

Tackling was a HUGE issue for me tonight. Perhaps boiling it down to lack of time in pads. So, maybe that will get better as the season goes on? Regardless, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many missed tackles.

tackling league wide is usually an issue till about week 4
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 11:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: tackling league wide is usually an issue till about week 4

Sometimes beyond that. It's degraded even more with the fear of penalties/CBA/etc. I can't say I blame them. I think preseason you also don't want to ruin your season on a meaningless game. So, safe to say we won't see game changing tackles out there. Hard to fault them.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Palmer had the very reliable Housh (as Sunset noted) that was with Chad in an awesome tandem.  The very few times they were on the field with Chris Henry (all 3 healthy), they were borderline unstoppable.  I will never forget what was probably Palmer's best game I ever witnessed against the Bears where Ced had a huge game against his former team and Palmer couldn't miss Housh, Chad, and Henry.

I look at Boyd as the Housh, but maybe that could also be Tate.  Ross has to be more consistent to become Henry, and we already have AJ as Chad.  

Tate did get 10 special teams snaps and was light years better on them than Willis, so I have to think he has the edge there.  I think the real battle is between three guys:  Malone, Core, and Morgan Jr.

Assuming they might take 7 to week one due to AJ's injury, I could see this scenario:

AJ
Boyd
Ross
Erickson
Tate
Malone 
Morgan

You mean Laveranues Coles; 2009, Week 9, I believe it was Wink

And I completely agree with your 7 WRs; they are all my picks as well, at this point.

Then when AJ is back, one of them is cut.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: a'la Boldin? Its possible.

That's a great comparison as Boldin wasn't the fastest guy, but he knew how to get open.

That's an unknown - How football smart Tate is. IF he has that football IQ, then he could be a #3 or #4 option this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There are a couple things, big-picture things, I am hoping for on our Bengals this year:

One of the biggest things is limiting turnovers.  I hope our emphasis on the running game (and subsequent play-action, RPO,  or whatever designation that leads to easy, high % completions) helps address that issue.  Also, a receiver that has such glue hands and can high-point a ball that only he can catch (see yesterday's camp video back of the end zone over Dre) should prevent the stupid bobble or tipped ball that leads to a pick.  

I look at Tate as someone that might not burn someone deep, but could be a solid, reliable target.  I am still a little puzzled why we haven't seen Boyd move to AJs spot and play more of Erickson and Tate in the slot, but I digress.  

Palmer had the very reliable Housh (as Sunset noted) that was with Chad in an awesome tandem.  The very few times they were on the field with Chris Henry (all 3 healthy), they were borderline unstoppable.  I will never forget what was probably Palmer's best game I ever witnessed against the Bears where Ced had a huge game against his former team and Palmer couldn't miss Housh, Chad, and Henry.

AJ
Boyd
Ross
Erickson
Tate
Malone 
Morgan

Core, Morgan, or Willis for that last spot is a fight.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: As a FSU fan....I can say he was compared as a poor man's Boldin. He's very good at contested catches and boxing out DBs with his frame. Huge catch radius. Of course, this time last year, me saying this equated to "Auden Tate will be the next Jerry Rice". LOL.

(08-13-2019, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a great comparison as Boldin wasn't the fastest guy, but he knew how to get open.

That's an unknown - How football smart Tate is. IF he has that football IQ, then he could be a #3 or #4 option this year.

Yup,

Tate isn't a player that's gonna knock your socks off with his athleticism. He's not a burner and it's not pretty him running routes.

What he is, is one of those guys if you throw the football his way he quite often comes down with it. His size, his catch radius, him boxing out and muscling his way, fighting for the ball or whatever "it" is he seems to have "it". I wanna see him getting more targets in these next 3 games.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: I hear ya....but for years, even when Good Andy shows up, if he misses one throw, it gets scrutinized to the nth degree. Now, I won't say that is your style, because it's not....but it's certainly an interesting study in human behavior. We all know what Dalton is....a good QB with adequate protection, and so so without it. Some act like he couldn't QB Pop Warner.

Yup,

I think a lot of it comes down to this: We (most of us on here) watch, rewatch, listen, read, social media, hash, rehash, slice, dice, and chop every second of Bengals football. Games, practice, preseason games, watch tape and on and on !

We see every throw Dalton makes, every fumble, every missed target, all of it. And we get overly critical and hyper analyze everything !

Then we (for the most part) see very little of _______________ insert hot shot QB here. We see highlight film, a couple minutes here,  a half there. And we believe they hit every go route in stride - that's all we see. Never throw an interception, never miss by a country mile and on and on.

When the fact is if we had a big enough sample size (like we do Dalton) That Mr. Wonderful QB doesn't hit every go route in stride, fact is they miss and miss bad at times. They take sacks, get stripped, miss wide open receivers and on and on. It's just that for a lot of us the sample size of Mr. Wonderful is just to small, we think every throw he makes is the highlight reel stuff. And in the words of Aldo the Apache from Inglourious Basterds " It Ain't
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 08:13 PM)Synric Wrote: A double move explains why the throw was late.

No it doesn't, because Dalton play faked, then looked right to Boyd, THEN looked left and when he saw how open Malone was you could see him reset his feet and in almost one motion throw the ball. He twitched. 

No big deal but people need to stop with the bullshit excuses. He hurried it and didn't get his feet set. 

There was no "no double move messed him up" because he wasn't looking that way until Malone was well past Breeland. 

Another thing. The reason Breeland was beat so bad was because he bit on the play action and had no help over the top. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 02:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Then we (for the most part) see very little of _______________ insert hot shot QB here. We see highlight film, a couple minutes here,  a half there. And we believe they hit every go route in stride - that's all we see. Never throw an interception, never miss by a country mile and on and on.

This.

If you look at the numbers (ESPN used to post them but they seem to be gone now) Dalton's accuracy on deep throws was as good as most NFL QBs and better than many.  But the average fan just sees the highlights of all these other QBs throwing perfect strikes on long passes.  The highlights never show all the missed throws.
Reply/Quote