Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chiefs Defense - This year vs. Last Year
I feel like this isn't being talked about enough.

The Chiefs' defense was pretty damn bad last year, but how do they compare this year? Are they about the same, worse, or improved? Let's look at a couple metrics to compare 2021 to 2022:

Yards per play: 5.9 (2nd last in NFL)
Net passing yards per passing attempt: 6.7 (6th last in NFL)
Rushing yard per attempt: 4.8 (2nd last in NFL)
Points per game: 21.4 (8th best in NFL)

Yards per play: 5.3 (20th in the NFL)
Net passing yards per parring attempt: 5.9 (21st in NFL)
Rushing yard per attempt: 4.3 (22nd in NFL)
Points per game: 22 (17th best in NFL)

So based on these simple stats, it would seem like the Chiefs defense has improved - pretty drastically if we are going to be honest. I do find it interesting that all of their per attempt metrics are better this year while their points per game are worse. That's relative to the scoring in the rest of the NFL, though.

Obviously, they played different teams last year compared to this year which will have an effect on the data.

If anyone with PFF wants to list their overall PFF grades from this year compared to last year that will give us an even better picture along with EPA if anyone has that data. This is just meant to hopefully be a starting point.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  I do find it interesting that all of their per attempt metrics are better this year while their points per game are worse, which still ranks them better in the NFL overall.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense unless there are other metrics not listed which make up the score. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes but those stats are before "they gotta play us" after their DB Reid flapped his gums.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
They already had to deal with Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, the emerging Perine, a motivated Mixon after watching Perine, and then they went and called Hurst out and will have him channeling his inner Kelce. Then Sprinkle a little Velveeta on top and they've got their hands full.

Our DB's will have their hands full as well and expecting the game to be a shootout of epic proportions.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, that doesn't make sense unless there are other metrics not listed which make up the score. 

It's relative to what the rest of the NFL is doing during the given year. 
Reply/Quote
We need to worry guys. Justin Reid is gonna lock up Tee’Marrden Churstins we don’t have a chance at scoring this week guys.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 01:17 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: We need to worry guys. Justin Reid is gonna lock up Tee’Marrden Churstins we don’t have a chance at scoring this week guys.

Higbee will save us.
Reply/Quote
I know their near the worst in the league at TD passes given up.
Reply/Quote
You can see,even in recent weeks,that this defense of the Chiefs has improved.That’s the part that’s a little concerning for me.But,they do seem more vulnerable in their secondary,especially the deep ball.What better week to have Chase back? At least it looks like he’s going to play this week.

Hopefully the Bengals can get the run game going and make some big plays down the field.I look for Chase to have a big game.I think he’ll play this week.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I feel like this isn't being talked about enough.

The Chiefs' defense was pretty damn bad last year, but how do they compare this year? Are they about the same, worse, or improved? Let's look at a couple metrics to compare 2021 to 2022:

So based on these simple stats, it would seem like the Chiefs defense has improved - pretty drastically if we are going to be honest. I do find it interesting that all of their per attempt metrics are better this year while their points per game are worse. That's relative to the scoring in the rest of the NFL, though.

Obviously, they played different teams last year compared to this year which will have an effect on the data.

If anyone with PFF wants to list their overall PFF grades from this year compared to last year that will give us an even better picture along with EPA if anyone has that data. This is just meant to hopefully be a starting point.

Is the 2021 data for the full, regular season 2021?  If so, it would mean they played the Bengals in the 2021 season and the Bengals had 415 passing yards in that game and 34 points. Also, their 2022 season so far has had 6 home games and 5 away (they have only 2 more home games of the next 6) and last year they had 9 homes games and 8 away in their record.   Given those data, it seems like probably a wash in terms of the statistics.

On the other hand, they do have a relatively easy schedule after the Bengals game, and not high-octane offenses like the Bengals, so they still may well end up with better defense statistics this year when the season is done. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 02:27 PM)Nepa Wrote: Is the 2021 data for the full, regular season 2021?  If so, it would mean they played the Bengals in the 2021 season and the Bengals had 415 passing yards in that game and 34 points. Also, their 2022 season so far has had 6 home games and 5 away (they have only 2 more home games of the next 6) and last year they had 9 homes games and 8 away in their record.   Given those data, it seems like probably a wash in terms of the statistics.

On the other hand, they do have a relatively easy schedule after the Bengals game, and not high-octane offenses like the Bengals, so they still may well end up with better defense statistics this year when the season is done. 

Yes, its the full 2021 data. Not just through week 11. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I feel like this isn't being talked about enough.

Nice thread Weezy, yes, they are a lot better on Defense. This is why this game might be closer than I predicted.

Their Offense is where I don't think they are quite as good with no Tyreek Hill. They don't scare me after what Lou has 
done to them the last two 2nd halves we played them when they were maybe the best Offense in the NFL. I think they get 
up on us early but we take over in the 2nd quarter with Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst, Perine and a highly motivated
Joe Mixon after seeing what Samaje has done in his place lately.

Too much fire power for an even drastically improved Chiefs Defense IMHO. Especially with a much better OL at this point.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 12:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yes but those stats are before "they gotta play us" after their DB  Reid flapped his gums.

Damn rights. Mellow

(12-01-2022, 12:44 PM)Go Cards Wrote: They already had to deal with Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, the emerging Perine, a motivated Mixon after watching Perine, and then they went and called Hurst out and will have him channeling his inner Kelce. Then Sprinkle a little Velveeta on top and they've got their hands full.

Our DB's will have their hands full as well and expecting the game to be a shootout of epic proportions.

Love the Velveeta nickname for Trenton lol
Reply/Quote
Kris Jones always is a match-up issue.
Volson will have his hands full.
Lest not forget, Carlos Dunlap will be extra jacked
To face his old team . He is still putting in meaningful
Snaps and Jonah could struggle with Carlos's
Wingspan.Nick Bolton is their best tackler
And I believe is ranked in the top at his LB position
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights. Mellow

What am I missing?

Reply/Quote

Good stuff, but this misses a key component:  Who have they played?  

I don't have last year's, but looking at this year, here is a list of who they played and the result:  

Sep 11, 2022 Arizona

W 44-21

Sep 15, 2022
vs L.A. Chargers

W 27-24 Sep 25, 2020 Indianapolis

L 20-17

Oct 2, 2022 @Tampa Bay

W 41-31

Oct 10, 2022
vs Las Vegas

W 30-29

Oct 16, 2022
vs Buffalo

L 24-20

Oct 23, 2022
San Francisco

W 44-23

BYE

Nov 6, 2022
vs Tennessee

W 20-17 / OT

Nov 13, 2022
vs Jacksonville

W 27-17

Nov 20, 2022 @ L.A. Chargers

W 30-27

Nov 27, 2022
vs  L.A. Rams

W 26-10

Of all those wins, the SF game was their most impressive offensive outing.  The most impressive defensive outing had to be holding the Bills, who were still pretty healthy, to 24 points at home, but it was a loss.  Who was the next toughest offense they faced?  The Chargers?  The rest was like all the ingredients of turd soup:  Rams, Jags, Tennessee, Raiders, Bucs, and Colts.  I know their offense is lethal, but I am not so scared of their defense.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 04:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What am I missing?

Trenton Irwin was a child actor in Velveeta cheese commercials.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights. Mellow

Have to give all the credit to Speedy Thomas who used it in the awards thread. 

He posted the Velveeta commercial he was in which was cool as well. 

But it's a perfect fit per his catches are so smooth and he actually was a Velveeta commercial actor as a child. 

Trenton "Velveeta" Irwin 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 04:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What am I missing?

You can see the commercial Irwin did posted in the Awards thread by Speedy Thomas

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
[Image: Screenshot-2022-12-02-100129.png]
Reply/Quote