Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Defense Will Test Our O Line
Tampa Bay had a good defense last year but what Tampa Bay really has is Evans and Jackson and Winston and that Air Attack. A big reason I am not upset with Tampa's passing yards on our Defense. .......Now here comes Kansas City. I think of them more for their Defense than their offense. Chiefs have some players on offense but not like Tampa Bay. What Chiefs have is Defense.

So Saturday Night I am hoping the O Line steps up and protects the Quarterbacks again. I thought the O Line looked good last week, but as Anthony Munoz on TV said, it was just preseason game one. They have to prove they can block each and every week.

There are other things I am looking for in this game as Dalton and the stars still won't see much action. They will in preseason week 3 though. That makes this game important for Bubble Players. Maybe their last chance to open eyes and avoid being cut. This is a big game for them since the starters will go most of the first half next game. My main thing is I do not want too see quarterbacks and running backs getting hit in the backfield. If I see that, it means our O Line is awful. I did not see it last week, which means O Line did their jobs.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
At this point, I feel that a high school defense would be a test for Ced. I think the rest of the OLine could gel and be at least an average line, but I still don't think Ced is going to become anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good! The OL needs all the work, and learning opportunities that they can get.

OL working well is based on continuity. So, the more reps that they can get together, under stress, the better.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am still not seeing what we need to see out of Ced, which is quick feet and centering up on your man quickly, strong hand punch and being quick off the ball, moving laterally quickly, like a good defensive player in basketball.

It was just one pre-season game. Saturday is another chance.
Reply/Quote
Better get good work in now than week 2. That'll be Ogbeuy's big test.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 08:17 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I am still not seeing what we need to see out of Ced, which is quick feet and centering up on your man quickly, strong hand punch and being quick off the ball, moving laterally quickly, like a good defensive player in basketball.

It was just one pre-season game.  Saturday is another chance.

i  saw improvement in his first pre season game from last year. .i did see some good first movement, nice down blocks on the run. disciplined with no penalties, it is a evolution.. he really is pretty much more than a rookie with the lack of time he has had at LT... it is going to take time like most young linemen.. he is going to have setbacks but we have to give him some games to really know if he can hold up as our tackle
Reply/Quote
Ced needs to find the nasty attitude all the great LT's have............until then MEH
Reply/Quote
What would you think of playing the back-up guards? Lets go ahead and let them get used to playing together, I think we would soon have a good young o-line.
Reply/Quote
Should be a good test for our o-line.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Good....Just what they need.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good!  The OL needs all the work, and learning opportunities that they can get.  

OL working well is based on continuity.  So, the more reps that they can get together, under stress, the better.

Exactly, and maybe it is time to show (Core or Malone) that if you are going to crowd the line, you better be able to cover over the top....
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 08:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly, and maybe it is time to show (Core or Malone) that if you are going to crowd the line, you better be able to cover over the top....

Easy now, that might require a good 3 seconds worth of protection..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I thought it was a good sign that the Jags OL struggled with Tampa's DL. Since our OL did fine. Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 08:40 AM)rezolve11 Wrote: I thought it was a good sign that the Jags OL struggled with Tampa's DL. Since our OL did fine.  Wink

I noticed that as well.  This game against KC should be very interesting.
Reply/Quote
I just don't see the Chiefs blitzing much...but they have a really talented defense overall.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I noticed that as well.  This game against KC should be very interesting.

Brings up a question. It used to be coaches didn't blitz that much in preseason, but last night TB blitzed the hell out of Jacksonville. Do you think opposing coaches tell each other to go easy on blitzes or if they want to blitz whenever? I ask because I don't remember TB blitzing us very much....
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 11:49 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Brings up a question. It used to be coaches didn't blitz that much in preseason, but last night TB blitzed the hell out of Jacksonville. Do you think opposing coaches tell each other to go easy on blitzes or if they want to blitz whenever? I ask because I don't remember TB blitzing us very much....

Might have something to do with Koetter being Marvin's best man in his wedding?  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good!  The OL needs all the work, and learning opportunities that they can get.  

OL working well is based on continuity.  So, the more reps that they can get together, under stress, the better.

The truth Sunset. Happy we have 3 good Defenses we are playing in the Preseason to get these guys some quality
competition. The Chiefs do have a damn fine Defense, probably better than Tampa. Houston and Tamba are still on
that Defense correct?

Poe left didn't he?

Need some updates on this Chiefs team.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 10:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i  saw improvement in his first pre season game from last year. .i did see some good first movement, nice down blocks on the run. disciplined with no penalties, it is a evolution.. he really is pretty much more than a rookie with the lack of time he has had at LT... it is going to take time like most young linemen.. he is going to have setbacks but we have to give him some games to really know if he can hold up as our tackle
His first movement in pass pro was ok just opening up, but he didn't seem to be able to react when defenders made moves towards his outside or inside shoulders.  I agree that he looked good in run blocking, but I wish that he had the same kind of motivation in pass pro because it seemed like he was along the lines of thinking "ok, it's a pass, so I don't have to move much, just stand here and get my hands on him."

Your confidence does make me feel a bit better, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.
(08-17-2017, 10:17 PM)CincyKid Wrote: Ced needs to find the nasty attitude all the great LT's have............until then MEH

I agree 100%.

That's what I was mentioning in the thread that I made about him, and that's that he was like a statue and just let defenders make moves and run by them.  I don't even think it's a nasty attitude that they have, but just more of a fire that they're not going to let anything happen to their quarterback.  

He wasn't bad in run blocking and like he wanted to get the job done, but he needs to improve and have the same determination in pass pro.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 08:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: Better get good work in now than week 2. That'll be Ogbeuy's big test.

It is actually an extension of week 1 (thursday night)...

I can't imagine how sore the players are after their first entire game, and I can't decide if that is a good thing for the Bengals or not....I mean, I know it will effect both teams but will it slow down the pass rushers at all?

That game has me a little nervous.  I think Bill O'Brien will be going no-huddle as his buddy Bill Belichek showed that the Bengal's defense don't like not having time to get set up...
Reply/Quote